What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All things Nebraska thread Osborne Edition

Is Bo gonna bring the Huskers back to ELITE status?

• Total voters
Re: Is this gonna be a good hire for NU?

Response to sackman

NU was a missed 43 yarder away from winning 3 National Titles in a row and 3 in 4 years.

During the 90s:

Nebraska accumulated 109 wins.
Nebraska "amassed" 16 losses.
Nebraska had a .865 winning %.
Nebraska won 7 conference championships.
Nebraska played for 5 national titles.
Nebraska won 3 national titles.
Nebraska outscored their opponents 4817 - 1872
That's an average of outscoring your opponent 38.23 - 14.86 per game

I guess I don't see how Pete Carroll's numbers compare to that. Perhaps their close, but they don't surpass. Additionally, it's not yet been a full 10 years for him either.

Last edited:
Re: Pelini just said

Actually the sniffing you are doing is to choke back the tears from the hiring of yet another unknown as far as head coaching experience is concerned.

I think Pealing was Osborne's first choice from the get go.
To me that in itself lacks vision with all the great young choices that might have been out there.

When the Buffs broke so to speak our AD gave more attention to a coach who could rebuild and be a fixture in Colorado for many years.

I really wonder if Osborne even thought about that when he tapped Pelini on the shoulder.

I also wonder was he really hiring a coach who would definitely return the hucksters to greatness or was he just taking care of an old friend??

TO has his current position because of the big money donors..... dont think for a minute that this hire is not also part of that deal.... with latitude, if a home-run was to appear in the couching carousel take him otherwise we want Bo... it did happen, chalk it.

Last edited:

Well on the bright side, at least you guys hired a normal human being.

Bo's teams are 55-10 with him as DC, and 3-0 in conference championship games! He is keeping Watson as OC, and will assemble a great staff behind him. I've got a great feeling about this one!

Is it the same feeling you guys had in the spring game coming off your north title?

TO has his current position because of the big money donors..... dont think for a minute that this hire is not also part of that deal.... with latitude, if a home-run was to appear in the couching carousel take him otherwise we want Bo... it did happen, chalk it.

Let me guess, for the whole off-season you're going to keep telling us what a great coach Pelini is and how he is going to return NU to national prominence?

It'll be a re-run of when Cally was hired.:lol:

You better get ready to again type the words you've typed so many times over the past several years: "Wait until next year".:lol:

Last edited:

with the title of the thread, i had thought the end of the sentence fragment would be..."that kyle's mom's a dirty bitch in D minor"

happy holiday's!

why oh why do some people always have to feed the trolls?

Let me guess, for the whole off-season you're going to keep telling us what a great coach Pelini is and how he is going to return NU to national prominence?

It'll be a re-run of when Cally was hired.:lol:

You better get ready to again type the words you've typed so many times over the past several years: "Wait until next year".:lol:
if you got all of that from what I typed I must be more brilliant than I think I am...

There is a lot of work to be done. There is some talent here now which in encouraging but the D is thin, young, no depth. they lose a LB core that was terrible and you might see some D backs get moved to LB for speed purposes. D line will be young but talented. LB and DB will be the weakness.

The O is still undecided, expect to see some spread, option, wco. O line will be the strength of next years team.

If NU challenges for a B12N title it will be as much as a fan could hope for.... and that is a reach IMO.

TO is getting a chance to have input..... that is a loaded gun. (tossed a softball, you better tee off on it:thumbsup:)

that during his last stint in Stincoln that he was there for 9 months but it felt like 3 years, wow, what a miserable place it must really be to feel that way. Sounds like this might be a short term deal for him if it sucks so bad :)

I can attest to this, since I live here. Everythink slows down in the awful state. A time-continuum sorta thing... It slows down time. For example, Tom Osbourne himself, may look and feel 70 years old, however, he is REALLY only 35 years old.

I can attest to this, since I live here. Everythink slows down in the awful state. A time-continuum sorta thing... It slows down time. For example, Tom Osbourne himself, may look and feel 70 years old, however, he is REALLY only 35 years old.

I can attest to this, when I was in Lincoln last year for the game I felt like the game took forever, but when I came out it was only 4 hours later. Weird!

(I also tailgated with huskers and they served cookies made with lard and hot buttered rum, so I spent a lot of time in a very red restroom)

Yeah, that is what I read into that!:wow:

Told his LSU players last night after the game that Nebraska was his dream job. Has always said how much he loved being in Lincoln. Nothing short term about this hire.

until he stumbles a little and niblet nation runs him out of town too.

Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it! :smile2:
And be the sorrier for it!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I, for one, think that Pelini is a nice hire. His defenses have been solid everywhere he has been. It remains to be seen what his offense will look like - but I think the collapse of the Nebraska defense has been the biggest blow to their program.

Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it! :smile2:
And be the sorrier for it!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
:nod: zakly.... it is a roll of the bones IMO but being the optimist I am, I am hoping for the best. he is the same man that gave us Solich and an old tired staff but it is this developing staff that will trow me one way or the other on this.

I, for one, think that Pelini is a nice hire. His defenses have been solid everywhere he has been. It remains to be seen what his offense will look like - but I think the collapse of the Nebraska defense has been the biggest blow to their program.
another spot on assesment..... better than most on NU boards actually.

that during his last stint in Stincoln that he was there for 9 months but it felt like 3 years, wow, what a miserable place it must really be to feel that way. Sounds like this might be a short term deal for him if it sucks so bad :)
No place is that bad when you make big bucks - its still the USA - not Rowanda - I would live in Nebraska for 1 to 2 million a year

Response to sackman

NU was a missed 43 yarder away from winning 3 National Titles in a row and 3 in 4 years.

During the 90s:

Nebraska accumulated 109 wins.
Nebraska "amassed" 16 losses.
Nebraska had a .865 winning %.
Nebraska won 7 conference championships.
Nebraska played for 5 national titles.
Nebraska won 3 national titles.
Nebraska outscored their opponents 4817 - 1872
That's an average of outscoring your opponent 38.23 - 14.86 per game

I guess I don't see how Pete Carroll's numbers compare to that. Perhaps their close, but they don't surpass. Additionally, it's not yet been a full 10 years for him either.

No that I am really arguing, but Carroll has done this all with the 85 scholarship limit, not the county scholarships that gave the nubs 135 players a year on their roster. Still I tend to think that the nubs 90's run was a little better, but if Carroll does it for another year or two, then who knows.

Why I don't fear the Bo hire....

the guy head coached ONE game. It was a team that TO and Frankie built and prepped. Bo showed for one year, and people act as if he hung the moon. I'm not saying he won't succeed...he might, but the list of assistants who took over big time programs (I'll concede NU is still big time for this post only) and won in the last 6-8 years is pretty damn short. There's Stoops, Tedford and.......

Bo filled one main qualification for TO. Desperation. Bo is desparate enough to allow TO to fill his staff for him. NU fan will see this as returning to their roots, but in reality TO is the back seat driver on this one. That's not all bad. TO isn't an idiot, he's just too conceited to get out of the way on this one. TO does know his way around and will be an asset, and potentially a liability for Bo.

Grobe, Kelly and Johnson weren't going to be told who to put on staff, and that may have been why they passed. Any of those three would have been a better hire IMO.

Bo will motivate, no doubt. Time will tell whether he is a Stoops or a Teevens. But I am not afraid of this hire. The niblets could have done so much better.

Re: Why I don't fear the Bo hire....

the guy head coached ONE game. It was a team that TO and Frankie built and prepped. Bo showed for one year, and people act as if he hung the moon. I'm not saying he won't succeed...he might, but the list of assistants who took over big time programs (I'll concede NU is still big time for this post only) and won in the last 6-8 years is pretty damn short. There's Stoops, Tedford and.......

Bo filled one main qualification for TO. Desperation. Bo is desparate enough to allow TO to fill his staff for him. NU fan will see this as returning to their roots, but in reality TO is the back seat driver on this one. That's not all bad. TO isn't an idiot, he's just too conceited to get out of the way on this one. TO does know his way around and will be an asset, and potentially a liability for Bo.

Grobe, Kelly and Johnson weren't going to be told who to put on staff, and that may have been why they passed. Any of those three would have been a better hire IMO.

Bo will motivate, no doubt. Time will tell whether he is a Stoops or a Teevens. But I am not afraid of this hire. The niblets could have done so much better.

i agree...i think they could have done much better...but only time will tell. but i've been told by my fusker friends that i don't know kNU football therefore don't 'get' why this is a great hire.

i told them that they would be happy with any coach TO picked, cuz he could poop in his hand, call it pudding and nib nation would be eating it up, literally and figuratively.:wow:

No that I am really arguing, but Carroll has done this all with the 85 scholarship limit, not the county scholarships that gave the nubs 135 players a year on their roster. Still I tend to think that the nubs 90's run was a little better, but if Carroll does it for another year or two, then who knows.
I see your point, but I am not so impressed since he (Carroll or USC for that matter) comes from a state with 41 million people in it..... limits or no, to do it in a state like Nebraska.... 1.7 million people and all, considering how much was home state talent on all the Nc teams..... It is a wonderful debate to have no doubt. Give SC their props, they are setting the bar for post 85 limits I can not argue that.

Back