What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All things Nebraska thread Osborne Edition

Is Bo gonna bring the Huskers back to ELITE status?

• Total voters
Pelini really the Coach? Sounds like Osborne still is. If things don't turn around can Pelini say he never had control of the team and decisions? Talk about a perfect situation for Osborne. He can pull all the strings and if something doesn't work Pelini takes all the heat.

Fans excited a one star player get a scholarship because he has NU ties and Osborne pissed he was becoming a OU fan. Man I hope Osborne keeps that up. "What do you mean we are out of Scholarships?"

Fans excited about Shawn Watson as OC. The same Shawn Watson a good number of CU fans wanted gone. I thought I remember reading Callahan called most of the plays on offense.

The more I read on whats going on in Lincoln the more I'm excited with this Pelini hire as a CU Fan.

Until there is any evidence to the contrary, Bo Pelini is just a mannequin with TO's hand shoved up his ass calling the shots.

Re: OK, Corn lurkers...TO is filling Bo's staff with Solich/TO assisstants....

And you pay to do it. :wow: I quit posting over there when they went pay-to-post.

that's exactly what they wanted......pay-to-post gets rid of the 'riff raff'.....quit posting..they win.

not me....the riff raff will stay..you can't get rid of me.

RuffBuff=RiffRaff:thumbsup:

Until there is any evidence to the contrary, Bo Pelini is just a mannequin with TO's hand shoved up his ass calling the shots.

Top 3in the nation in total defense 3 of the 4 four years that he was at LSU. Write it down cuase scoring on them will probably become a lot tougher under BP.

Top 3in the nation in total defense 3 of the 4 four years that he was at LSU. Write it down cuase scoring on them will probably become a lot tougher under BP.

Not saying he isn't a solid defensive coach, but the defensive talent at LSU >>>>>>>>>>> defensive talent currently at NU. It's going to take some time to turn around that unit.

I wouldn't be so sure, one thing Cally did very well was recruit.:huh:

I agree that he could recruit, but I didn't see a whole lot of defensive playmakers out there for NU. I saw plenty of offensive firepower, but there is a major rebuilding job to do on that defense. They should be improved next year, but I still expect a mediocre defense (at best) by the time we face NU next November.

I agree that he could recruit, but I didn't see a whole lot of defensive playmakers out there for NU. I saw plenty of offensive firepower, but there is a major rebuilding job to do on that defense. They should be improved next year, but I still expect a mediocre defense (at best) by the time we face NU next November.

Maybe, but outside of a few players I've watched CU do more with less.

Really, I heard recently that he had to pass a pretty in depth physical before he was hired at Nebraska. His colonoscopy showed only buckeyes but not hand of Osborne or his 3 rings. It was also reported that there was no chunks of undigested buffalo or corn either. At least that's what I heard. I also heard that TO was a reciever in his playing days and had pretty soft hands so you might just be right.

Not saying he isn't a solid defensive coach, but the defensive talent at LSU >>>>>>>>>>> defensive talent currently at NU. It's going to take some time to turn around that unit.

I wouldn't be so sure, one thing Cally did very well was recruit.:huh:

This situation reminds me of OU and Blake who was fired after 1998. He left them some serious talent. Stoops won a mNC in 2000 with less than 2 years at the school.

The game plan and the scheme at NU were bad. When Cally hired Cosgrove the Wiscy fans put up a collective cheer sorta like we did when Okruch left.

This situation reminds me of OU and Blake who was fired after 1998. He left them some serious talent. Stoops won a mNC in 2000 with less than 2 years at the school.

ya right, look at Blake's record at OU. All Blake left Stoops was a bunch of overweight, lazy, under-achieving players. It was Stoops 1st two recruiting classes that got that program winning the MNC in 2000. It's time individuals like yourself quit giving Blake credit for anything towards the Sooner's 2000 MNC. it just didnt happen. :thumbsup:

ya right, look at Blake's record at OU. All Blake left Stoops was a bunch of overweight, lazy, under-achieving players. It was Stoops 1st two recruiting classes that got that program winning the MNC in 2000. It's time individuals like yourself quit giving Blake credit for anything towards the Sooner's 2000 MNC. it just didnt happen. :thumbsup:

ou...who cares, we beat you...dont be butt-hurt i wrote this:lol:

a couple quotes from Mac to start this article.... decent read.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10205227

Published Sunday | December 9, 2007
NU Football: Old values for new Big Red
BY DIRK CHATELAIN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Nebraskans and Bill McCartney have always seen eye to eye, of course.

Tom Osborne, the interim athletic director, has taken unusual steps, like doing some football recruiting, to help NU recover.Go back to the days when McCartney took over Colorado's lowly football program and boldly proclaimed Tom Osborne his rival.

Or the days when McCartney beat Osborne two straight years with the Orange Bowl at stake. Or the days when CU fans showered all things scarlet and cream with beer and snowballs.

Oh, Cornhuskers have always loved Buffaloes, just as conservative farmers have always understood liberal mountaineers. So allow McCartney to speak for all flat-landers and put in perspective the Huskers' recent slide.

He's not joking one bit.

"The long run Nebraska enjoyed was the result of superior leadership," McCartney said.

"When they took Coach Osborne out of the equation, they made a colossal mistake of the highest order. If he had been involved in the decision making, you wouldn't have gone through what you did.

"That's flat-out obvious."

Osborne, 70, may not perceive his absence as the root of the dynasty's destruction, but he's re-engaged like a legend on one final mission.

Officially, he has performed the duties of athletic director for two months. But since Bill Callahan's departure, Dr. Tom has acted just as much like a football coach, mixing new faces with his old potion for brilliance.

Osborne did not bring former Husker assistant coaches back on staff, but he hired a head coach who would. He may not design the offense, but he had a hand in deciding who will. He may not teach techniques, but he helped recruit the kids to execute them.

Osborne's influence, combined with his emphasis on restoring past traditions, has been resoundingly endorsed. It's also highly unusual in the world of athletic administration.

Typically, a new head coach takes over and receives complete authority. But Bo Pelini's main task, it seems, is rebuilding the Blackshirts. The program's greater vision, at least for now, appears to be Osborne's.

On a recruiting visit to Omaha Westside High School on Tuesday, Osborne dropped off Pelini at the door as he parked the car.

In many ways, Osborne's still driving Husker football. He's still the face of the program and will be until Pelini returns from the national title game and finds time to warm his office, said Al Papik, Osborne's friend and a former Nebraska athletic administrator.

If your average coaching legend participated as Osborne has the past few weeks, Papik said, it'd be fair to wonder how the A.D.-head coach relationship would function.

But not Osborne, Papik said. He won't meddle.

"Once he gets everything under control, I think he'll be the athletic director," former Nebraska All-American Dave Rimington said. "He'll be hands off."

If he's overseeing an entire athletic department, Osborne won't have time to intervene with football, said former Nebraska defensive coordinator Charlie McBride.

But, for various reasons, stepping back may be difficult for Osborne. He's working with a first-rtime head coach. His personal investment in the program is unmatched. And he didn't sign up as A.D. for the long haul, so clearly he's working with urgency.

Former Nebraska team psychologist Jack Stark compared the situation to building a house over the course of 40 years, then walking away and watching it fall apart. Osborne won't leave again, Stark said, until he's comfortable with the repairs.

So wouldn't Osborne, who is expected to stay in the A.D. chair at least through the 2008 season, be inclined to keep an active role in football to accelerate the rebuilding effort? Nobody knows the landscape - or the day-to-day workings of a football team - like him.

Not likely, Papik said.

Osborne so admired the way Bob Devaney kept his distance from football matters that he will emulate his old boss.

But it might be tough to resist a heavy hand. Devaney never had to watch a football program in such a state of peril. Osborne, for that matter, hadn't seen a Husker season like 2007 since he was catching passes for the Washington Redskins.

He's taken unusual steps to help NU recover - and to establish the old blueprint.

Recent events - like temporarily joining the coaching staff - caught even McBride by surprise. Osborne? Recruiting?

Hey, if Tom's doing it, McBride said, it's probably the right thing.

But name a head coach other than Pelini whose first scholarship offer came not from him, but from the athletic director. It speaks volumes that the recipient of that offer was a Class C-2 honorable mention linebacker, Micah Kreikemeier, whose father and high school coach were former walk-ons for Osborne in the 1980s.

Name another head coach with defensive credentials who hired an offensive coordinator he's never worked with - and seemingly never met until last weekend. Shawn Watson caught Osborne's eye long before Pelini's.

Name another head coach - replacing a fired coach - whose staff has such a heavy dose of former assistants from that school. Barney Cotton, Marvin Sanders and Ron Brown worked with Pelini in 2003, but they all have connections to Osborne, too.

And Osborne made clear the day he fired Callahan the importance of Nebraska ties on the next coaching staff.

Finding a prominent voice who questions Osborne's decisions is like searching for a mountain to climb in Merrick County.

"I don't know anywhere along the line where I'd do something different," Rimington said. "From the day he was hired, he's handled this as well as anybody could."

You can't put a value on Osborne right now, Rimington said. He can wave the flag for the university while Pelini's preparing for a national title game. He can calm fears.

Papik was down at the local barber shop the other day and folks were already anticipating 2008. Days of depression are gone. Osborne's running the show.

"We'll trust Coach Osborne," Papik said. "I think that trust factor is a major reason why the state has settled down. They're content. If there was ever a person who could right the ship, it was Tom Osborne."

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

The problem with corn d is not talent, well not only talent. The biggest problem with the fusker d is that they are lacking in overall toughness. Mentally and physically they are soft and that is why when things start to go bad for them they completely fall apart. Unfortunately for us Buffs instilling toughness is the thing that I believe Bo is best at.

Bo faced a lack of toughness the last time he joined the Stinkholn staff and after just a few months under his tutelidge the pinkskirts came out and played with way more tenacity than they had since McBride left. The situation is much worse this time around and I think it will take at least one season of wringing out the team before they get on the same page enough for the tree to start to bear some fruit.

So the fusker D will eventually become good which means the real question is if short bus can create a potent enough D. Personally I don't think booger has it in him. He was always touted as this great Qb coach yet most of his QB recruits never blossomed. Furthermore his Offensive schemes while at CU were unimaginative and very predictable. I see Watson doing okay as OC for a while but just never getting the fuskers consistently humming on O. They'll be calling for his head by season 3 and he'll be gone by #4. After that, if Bo is still there, we'll have to see.

a couple quotes from Mac to start this article.... decent read.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10205227

Published Sunday | December 9, 2007
NU Football: Old values for new Big Red
BY DIRK CHATELAIN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Nebraskans and Bill McCartney have always seen eye to eye, of course.

Tom Osborne, the interim athletic director, has taken unusual steps, like doing some football recruiting, to help NU recover.Go back to the days when McCartney took over Colorado's lowly football program and boldly proclaimed Tom Osborne his rival.

Or the days when McCartney beat Osborne two straight years with the Orange Bowl at stake. Or the days when CU fans showered all things scarlet and cream with beer and snowballs.

Oh, Cornhuskers have always loved Buffaloes, just as conservative farmers have always understood liberal mountaineers. So allow McCartney to speak for all flat-landers and put in perspective the Huskers' recent slide.

He's not joking one bit.

"The long run Nebraska enjoyed was the result of superior leadership," McCartney said.

"When they took Coach Osborne out of the equation, they made a colossal mistake of the highest order. If he had been involved in the decision making, you wouldn't have gone through what you did.

"That's flat-out obvious."

Gee thanks Mac! Don't be givin' the fuskers any advice! :wink2: :lol:

Back