What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AllBuffs.com Blogger Interview: The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo

allbuffs

Administrator
This week AllBuffs.com welcomes a newer Blog to our interview series:
The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
450481289_d0bba2ff46.jpg

Despite 3+ years on AllBuff's RumblinBuff has been more of a lurker than a poster, but with a strong interest in CU Basketball it seemed to be the right time to preview his blog:

http://rumblinbuff.blogspot.com/

1.) What is your first memory as a CU fan?
RDB - I guess this would be the point where I confess that I am a transplant. Growing up in the Chicagoland area, I was not too exposed to CU Sports. I have an Uncle that I’m quite fond of who lived in the Boulder area when I was very young, and he got me hooked on Ralphie. While I had never seen a game, I had a good impression of the school from the start (I even had a sweet CU Starter jacket).
Then came the “Miracle in Michigan.”
Barely ten years old, I watched my first CU game in stunned silence as Kordell Stewart shocked the favored home Wolverine squad. Since Michigan was a regional school, I was able to watch that entire game on ABC, and I’ll never forget it. I followed the team as best I could the rest of the year, all the way up to the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame. To this day the ’94 team continues to hold a place in my heart.

2.) Tell us how you got started blogging and a little about the history of "Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo" (and is that how we should refer to the site)?.

RDB - The title is rather awkward. If it’s easier, you can refer to it as “RDB.”
Blogging always seemed like an interesting way to speak your mind. I grabbed the URL a few years back; I just figured at some point I’d start to put my free time to good use. The space actually sat vacant for 2 years. Almost a year ago (February 4th will mark the 1 year anniversary of the blog) I finally got around to putting my random thoughts in cyber space. It has turned out to be a great way to keep in contact with many of my college friends. They’ve spread out across the country, and this is a convenient way to keep the conversations flowing.
This is a very personal project for me, which is why you’ll see non-CU stuff (baseball discussions, Friday Beer Post, etc.). However, since I’m above all else a passionate CU fan, you’ll see most of my posts relating to the Buffs in some way.

3.) What are the things about your blog that differentiate it from other online Buff sites? (notice you focus quite a bit more on Basketball)

RDB - Well, for one, there are no ads. No popups, no Google Ads, nothing. I’m an amateur, and I like it that way. Additionally, I write about the men’s basketball team a lot. From my perspective, there are too few sources of good CU basketball commentary out there. One of the primary factors in me beginning to write is that I felt there was a gaping hole in the CU commentariat regarding the basketball team.
Coming from Chicago, basketball is a strong passion for me. I realize that for many Colorado kids that it’s just not an emphasis, but, once baseball season ended, that’s all I played and watched as I grew up (football was a distant second). If through sharing my passion for hoops I convince just one person to care about the team who normally wouldn’t, then my time will have been well spent.

4.) How regularly do you update your blog?

RDB - I update every weekday. Last year I found that really hard during the summer, and I just shut down for a few months. Since I don’t follow recruiting there is a paucity of CU related things to comment on while the summer months tick by. This year, I’ll probably reduce my pace, but still update regularly.

5.) What keeps you motivated and interested, even when at times the Buff's haven't been very good of late?
RDB - I love my University! There’s a line in the alma mater, “we sing forever your praises,” and I take it literally.
Seriously, half the fun of watching sports is the struggle to better oneself. I can’t imagine cheering for the Yankees, or the Patriots, or Texas; where would be the fun in that? You’ve got to have struggle or it’s not interesting (or that rewarding) to me.
So the Buffs haven’t been good over the past few years, that doesn’t mean the kids aren’t trying, or that my passion is any lesser than when we were winning the ’01 Big XII title. Would I like to see more victories, sure, but I’ll never stop rooting for, or discussing, my Buffs.
Additionally, the off-topic portions of the blog keep my mind fresh. Writing about beer every Friday is an awesome way to keep things going.

6.) Have the new staffs re-energized you at all, or as some Buff fans are, are you in wait and see mode?
RDB - It’s certainly re-energizing to have the Hawk years behind us. There was a definite negative cloud over the program that had stymied any potential growth.
That said, I’d be hard pressed to say that I’m completely on board with Coach Embree. I’m definitely encouraged by the staff he’s put together, but I need to see something tangible before I’ll buy in completely (the reported emphasis on playing the best players is a great start). I was thoroughly burned by the Hawk years, and I’m in a “prove-it” state of mind. That’s generally true for me anytime; I want to see results before I change my mindset.

7.) What if any expectations do you have from the basketball team for the rest of the season?
RDB - Definitely the NIT, with a decent shot at the NCAA Tournament.
I was a little shocked by the Mizzou performance; I wouldn’t have been all that surprised to see us win, but the Buffs going out and whupping a top-10 team like that (up 18 early in the second half before we started to milk clock) has forced me to reassess my view of the team. Prior to that I was thinking around 8 conference wins (6 or 7 at home, with 1 or 2 on the road) and a trip to the NIT was reasonable, now I’m starting to dream about 10 or 11 conference wins and a trip to the dance.
Missouri was a perfect matchup for us, so I’m not ready to pop the champagne yet. I still think a taller team, who’s better able to control the tempo, will hurt us if Burks and Higgins don’t have stellar performances. This upcoming 4 game stretch will be key. While the K-State game is probably a loss, there are 3-straight winnable games on the horizon; home against OSU, and on the road against OU and Nebraska (I’m not buying that the Huskers are for real, they still haven’t played a road game). If we head into the KU game at 3-2 or even 4-1 in conference, then watch out, ‘cause CU will probably go dancing.

8.) Any expectations of the football staff in this very short recruiting window?
RDB - It’s going to be rough to get a good class together. At this point any class would be a good class. Coach Embree seems to have put together a staff designed to eat up recruits, but I just don’t think there’s enough time to get a truly impactful class. Any hope of that revolves around turning kids away from previous verbal commitments, and I’ll never put my hat on that. However, as I’ve said before, I’m not a recruiting guy, so I wouldn’t exactly be too surprised if Embree walked away with a whale or two.
Regardless of how this class turns out, I expect a strong class next year.

9.) Heading back to your site for a second, should we keep an eye out for anything new from you in 2011?

RDB - I’ve already started my ramped-up basketball coverage for the conference season. Related to that, I’m going to live-blog the Big XII tourney again; that was fun last year, and I think it was a big help for those who couldn’t get the game at work. As for a new recurring feature, I’m working on my “Over-Reaction of the Week” where I take up the mantle of main-stream media and freak out over a small thing for laughs. Finally, I’m working with a friend on a new logo, so an overall design update may be in order as well.

RDB is a great addition to the Buff blogosphere. I really enjoy that site and love that we've got a Buff blog with a hoops focus.

Thanks for the interview, Rumblin!

If we head into the KU game at 3-2 or even 4-1 in conference, then watch out, ‘cause CU will probably go dancing.

I hope you did better on this prediction than the KjSU prediction.... :smile2:

Great interview. Never knew there was a blog out there with a buffs hoop focus. Can't think of a better time to find out... :thumbsup:

I hope you did better on this prediction than the KjSU prediction.... :smile2:

Great interview. Never knew there was a blog out there with a buffs hoop focus. Can't think of a better time to find out... :thumbsup:

someone should tell NWD, and the other returning hoops posters.

Thanks to AllBuffs for giving me the forum, and I hope you guys can find something entertaining in both the interview and my site.

Go Buffs!

Back