What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Allright, I get to see TTech blow the doors off Sumlin's Houston team tonight

Houston used to beat up on the Red Raiders regularly when they were both in the SWC (18-10-1 all time).

This is the same as trotting out the 43-17-and whatever it is between CU and NU. That stat says something about ancient history but not much of anything about the last 5 years. Back in those days coaching was a level playing field, there were no millionaires, and most coaches stayed 7 years or more. Today they stay like 4-5 years and some schools take from everyone else because they can afford to.

So he's caught in the Catch 22 of "winning with someone elses players". Briles was pretty solid. I guess Id like to see someone who proves it as a consistent recruiter like Urban Meyer did at Utah before moving to SEC country.
not really... Sumlin has recruited more 3 and 4 stars in the last year or 2 then Briles did in all his years combined... He's got a lot of talent that is all him on the field. The recruiting is really eye popping.

This is the same as trotting out the 43-17-and whatever it is between CU and NU. That stat says something about ancient history but not much of anything about the last 5 years. Back in those days coaching was a level playing field, there were no millionaires, and most coaches stayed 7 years or more. Today they stay like 4-5 years and some schools take from everyone else because they can afford to.

I only mentioned it from the standpoint that when there's a history on your side there's a certain comfort/confidence that comes with it. That makes it easier, imo, than traveling across the country like TCU did to play a Clemson team where there is no history. It was just a small point, anyway.

More importantly @ Miami:

roflbot.jpg

not really... Sumlin has recruited more 3 and 4 stars in the last year or 2 then Briles did in all his years combined... He's got a lot of talent that is all him on the field. The recruiting is really eye popping.

Good to know. I have not followed his ascendence as closely so I am glad you cleared that up.

According to UH's depth chart they start 6 soph or freshmen on O and 4 on D, so I assume those are his recruits. Lots of youth is seeing the field.
Just watching him Sat, he seems like the kind of guy that would appeal to recruits.

I remember John Riegel talking about Sumlin on his old radio show when he was supposed to come to Barnett's staff. Riegel said Sumlin was a really well respected coach, a very good recruiter, and that he would be a great asset. Apparently he was a known commodity back then as an assistant.

According to UH's depth chart they start 6 soph or freshmen on O and 4 on D, so I assume those are his recruits. Lots of youth is seeing the field.
Just watching him Sat, he seems like the kind of guy that would appeal to recruits.

I remember John Riegel talking about Sumlin on his old radio show when he was supposed to come to Barnett's staff. Riegel said Sumlin was a really well respected coach, a very good recruiter, and that he would be a great asset. Apparently he was a known commodity back then as an assistant.

Wait a minute... You're saying that you can actually start young players and be successful? Heresy!

I only mentioned it from the standpoint that when there's a history on your side there's a certain comfort/confidence that comes with it. That makes it easier, imo, than traveling across the country like TCU did to play a Clemson team where there is no history. It was just a small point, anyway.

I don't disagree on the history. But I think that history is much, much more important to the Alums and Boosters than it is to young kids and recruits. You and I grew up watching college football. Todays kids are on itunes/xbox/facebook and occasionally catch a game or two. I don't think they pay as much attention to the history or the rivalries anymore.

:smile2:

I don't disagree on the history. But I think that history is much, much more important to the Alums and Boosters than it is to young kids and recruits. You and I grew up watching college football. Todays kids are on itunes/xbox/facebook and occasionally catch a game or two. I don't think they pay as much attention to the history or the rivalries anymore.

I agree that "Tradition" isn't anywhere near as important as it used to be. Fortunately, they do pick some of it up when they play NCAA Football. In some ways, they get more info than we ever did. Before cable and the internet, it was damn hard to follow a college team when you didn't live locally.

As an aside, I wonder how often a recruit looks at the ****ty rosters in their NCAA game and uses it as a tool for judging a team's depth chart at his position.:smile2:

Back