What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Always an Interesting Topic

The only conference that I can see CU jumping to is the MWC. This does make a lot more sense than the PAC-10 and with SDSU and UNLV in that conference, the SoCal Buff fans can easily go to those games and root for the Buffs. We would be able to easily focus more on putting together a good team than spending the money to keep up with the Texas, Nebraskas, and Oklahomas of college football but that's me.

We would be lucky to get 20,000 fans to watch cu play most of that conference. We would make no $$$$, get no exposure and it would kill what little hope we have left.

csewe has virtually no attraction to one of the bigger conferences. No tv appeal outside the local area, small fan base, small stadium.....it's a nowhere proposition.

BYyou is about the only team with other-than-local market and (to some extent) tv appeal. If the B12 lost a team, the coug's might be the only viable replacement.

I would just like to see CU get into a conference that wasn't so texas-centric. A CCG at Mile High every few years would be nice (spare me your weather whining).

Honestly what I would really like to see is a total realignment of every conference and align them in a whole new way that results in a true playoff.

csewe has virtually no attraction to one of the bigger conferences. No tv appeal outside the local area, small fan base, small stadium.....it's a nowhere proposition.

BYyou is about the only team with other-than-local market and (to some extent) tv appeal. If the B12 lost a team, the coug's might be the only viable replacement.

You're off on this one.

BYU is in Provo. Their TV market sucks. There is a possibility, though, that they draw better than Utah in Salt Lake City (I don't know).

But the MWC does have some nice Western media markets:

UNLV (Las Vegas)
SDSU (San Diego)
TCU (Dallas - Ft. Worth)
Utah (Salt Lake City)

Man we sure had a bad year when it came to athlethics...hopefully we will be at least .500 in football, men's bb and women's bb this coming season.

Jenny Barringer is coming over to your house to kick your ass.

The only conference that I can see CU jumping to is the MWC. .

quite possibly the most absurd comment ever made in the history of allbuffs.

We suck right now, but it doesn't mean its going to be that way for the next 10 years.. CU has had many other darker(early 80's?) periods than the one we are having now for us to just give up and go play in the Mountain Worst..

CU should stay where they are, but get some coaches in here that can actually coach.. And I'm mainly talking about our football coach.. Bzdelik gets another year and possibly two before I start criticizing him..

UTAH is bigger than BYU.. It also has top notch facilities thanks to the Winter Olympics in 2002..

CSU might have been viable as a BCS conference candidate in one of Sonny's 9 win seasons but they bring nothing to the table in terms of a complete AD. some women's sports like volleyball, maybe. they draw 30,000 for football. high schools in Texas have that and better cribs than Hughes.

CSU would do fine if they were in a BCS conference and we would turn to **** if we joined the MWC.

With the money and clout the Big 12 is bringing in now, I don't see why any team would leave, but if a school ever did, I think Arkansas, TCU, or Houston are more likely than either of the Utah schools. If anything, I think you're more likely to see Utah and BYU jump to the Pac 10 together.

BYU wouldn't be able to make the jump to the PAC-10 anytime soon due to academics. Utah is able to make the move now but will they be able to do that without BYU? I doubt it because state politics could prevent such a move. At this point, Utah and CU would be good canadiates to join the PAC-10 but what is holding the PAC-10 back is their lousy TV contract. Don't be surprised if that is why CU isn't interested in the PAC-10 right now. If the PAC-10 is able to get a much better TV deal and one that pays more than what the Big 12's TV contract pays out, then we can hear those CU-to-the-PAC-10 rumors starting up again. Right now the new PAC-10 Commish is focusing on getting that conference a much better TV deal. Once that is done, I can forsee that new TV contract giving out more $$$ to the schools and expansion would be the next step.

Again, I am simply saying that the only conference at this point that CU could move to is the MWC because I doubt CU joins the PAC-10 due to that crappy TV deal. The MWC makes sense in a way fincincally because travel expenses would be reduced since CU could easily bus to AFA, CSU, and Wyoming but the TV $$$ wouldn't be as good. I'm sure it would cost $$$ to do such a study for the CU AD and right now throwing money away isn't a smart thing to do.

I would just like to see CU get into a conference that wasn't so texas-centric. A CCG at Mile High every few years would be nice (spare me your weather whining).

Honestly what I would really like to see is a total realignment of every conference and align them in a whole new way that results in a true playoff.

I agree 100%...I can't stand UT and how much they ruined a good thing in the Big 8.

Why are we talking about CU going anywhere? They're in a top-notch conference now and are closer geographically to the majority of the Big 12 schools then they are to any of the Pac-10 schools.

I agree with Sinkratz above, that Utah and BYU would go to the Pac-10 together if the Pac-10 were to expand.

BYU wouldn't be able to make the jump to the PAC-10 anytime soon due to academics. Utah is able to make the move now but will they be able to do that without BYU? I doubt it because state politics could prevent such a move. At this point, Utah and CU would be good canadiates to join the PAC-10 but what is holding the PAC-10 back is their lousy TV contract. Don't be surprised if that is why CU isn't interested in the PAC-10 right now. If the PAC-10 is able to get a much better TV deal and one that pays more than what the Big 12's TV contract pays out, then we can hear those CU-to-the-PAC-10 rumors starting up again. Right now the new PAC-10 Commish is focusing on getting that conference a much better TV deal. Once that is done, I can forsee that new TV contract giving out more $$$ to the schools and expansion would be the next step.

Again, I am simply saying that the only conference at this point that CU could move to is the MWC because I doubt CU joins the PAC-10 due to that crappy TV deal. The MWC makes sense in a way fincincally because travel expenses would be reduced since CU could easily bus to AFA, CSU, and Wyoming but the TV $$$ wouldn't be as good. I'm sure it would cost $$$ to do such a study for the CU AD and right now throwing money away isn't a smart thing to do.

It doesn't take a study and it does not make one bit of financial sense. CU gets about $8 million in conference payout from the Big 12. So you want to give up $5 million in extra conference payout to save $150,000 in travel (if that).

It doesn't take a study and it does not make one bit of financial sense. CU gets about $8 million in conference payout from the Big 12. So you want to give up $5 million in extra conference payout to save $150,000 in travel (if that).

Where did I say CU SHOULD jump to the MWC? I know that given the realities of money, CU will remain a member of the Big 12 for the forseeable future. All I am doing is seeing what people had to say about moving to the MWC...as the head of an athlethic department, your job is to explore ALL options. There are too many uncertainities to support such a move and one of them is that will the MWC get an automatic BCS bid or not? If that ever happens and the MWC gets a good TV deal as a result, CU very well could be gone from the Big 12.

I am also pointing out that the PAC-10's TV contracts are up for renewal soon and their new commisoner was hired for that position because of his TV expertise. I'm sure the TV execs will whisper in his ear about how much more TV $$$ can be brought in if they locked up the Rocky Mountain Region which would mean bringing in CU and Utah.

Again, I am going to stress that BYU WILL NOT GO TO THE PAC-10 due to their academics. There was an article done about this and out of the entire west, only Hawaii, Idaho, Utah, CSU, and CU has the academic creds to join the PAC-10 and when you narrow it down to athletics, you got both Utah and CU.

http://www.blocku.com/2008/7/7/566680/making-the-case-for-utah-a

ACADEMICS
Utah is no UCLA, Cal or Stanford, but it has still built a strong tradition in academics, especially within the research field. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching listed the University of Utah as a Research I university, a classification given to top schools in the United States which received the highest amount of research funding from the Federal Government.
This is attractive to the Pac-10, because the conference has always prided itself on strong academic connections. In fact, I wager academics is by far the biggest issue the Pac-10 will look at when discussing expansion.
In this regard, Utah ranks lower than the tradition Pac-10 powers, however, good enough to not compromise the conference's academic standing, especially when compared to other potential expansion programs like Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV and maybe Fresno State. Their ranking also is in-sync with the University of Colorado Boulder, which is consistently thrown around as a possible future Pac-10 team.
The University of Utah is a growing academic school and has built a reputation as being one of best research universities in the western United States. Because of this, I believe the Pac-10 will find it easier accepting the UofU than they would have maybe 10 or 15 years ago. And their advancements in the academic realm certainly does not hinder their chances.​

Many people forget that it's not all about athlethics. Academics do play a strong role in conference membership.​

If the Pac-10 is serious about academics, then how do you justify ASU being part of the conference, or Arizona, or Wazzou?

Atleast cold fusion was discovered at the University of Utah.:lol:

Ah yes, the never-ending piling-on of ASU academics. I can't claim insight across the board for all of their programs, but when my wife graduated from ASU's education program, I was blown away with the quality of her degree. And yes, far more so than with my CU degree.

Ah yes, the never-ending piling-on of ASU academics. I can't claim insight across the board for all of their programs, but when my wife graduated from ASU's education program, I was blown away with the quality of her degree. And yes, far more so than with my CU degree.

This may come as a shocker, but somewhere in Tempe, some coed is blowing away as you read this.:devil:

Arizona-State-Cheerleaders.jpg

Everybody talks about geography, tradition, academics, etc. etc..

The simple fact of the matter is that college football is driven first and foremost by $$$$, how much revenue can a school bring to a conference.

The Big East may suck on the field right now but their television market blows away the MWC. There is a reason that the MWC is not on ESPN with a favorable contract. Wyoming has trouble drawing 20K, SDSU is on the verge of being evicted from their stadium because they don't draw enough fans to make it profitable. UNLV has one of the nations fastest growning cities but they don't show up for games and don't turn the channel to see them. CSU can't fill a 36K stadium for a game against a ranked Cal team.

The BCS is not going to add the MWC voluntarily, they don't generate the revenue. CU is not going to leave a BCS conference with its TV exposure and revenue for the MWC. Who wants to play in front of crowds of 28K when you can have one of the smaller stadiums in the league and average over 45K even with much higher ticket prices.

As to the PAC 10, they might have interest in Colorado with the front range TV markets (which CU can deliver, CSU doesn't) but again it would be a balance of what CU adds vs. what CU takes out in shared revenue plus the added expense of transportation for competition, not just in football and basketball but also in all the non-revenue sports. Utah's balance in this regard is lower than CU as the Salt Lake market is still about 1/2 of that of the Denver/Boulder market and Utah doesn't have a second market like Colorado Springs/Pueblo. They have a hard time selling 40K even when they win.

Bottom line, don't look for much of a change right now.

I think the only major conference re-alignment we'll see over the next few years is the Big 11 adding a 12th team, which may have a domino effect depending on what conference that team comes from.

How does academics prevent BYU from joining the PAC 10? I could be mistaken, but I thought BYU was a pretty good school academically.

Back