What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An Old-West Test

allbuffs

Administrator
An Old-West Test
By Michael Krumholtz

Jordan Webb is walking around campus a little taller.

After garnering Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week following his game-winning performance against Washington State, Webb and his herd are heading in the right direction. Though seemingly minor, the honor gives Webb a bit of vindication. The sheriff has his badge.

As the mighty Bruins from UCLA (3-1, 0-1) roar east to Boulder, fuming from their first loss of the season, Webb waits for Saturday’s old-west shootout with heavy patience.
“They say losses linger with you a lot longer but with a young team I think a win can do that,” Webb said “We’ll have to put (the Washington State win) behind us. It won’t matter on Saturday whether we had won or lost the previous Saturday.”

UCLA brings a talented two-shooter quarterback of its own to Folsom Field. Big-armed redshirt freshman Brett Hundley leads the nation’s top offense, conducting over 577 yards per outing.
Deputy running back Jonathan Franklin is third in the FBS in rushing and averages 7.5 yards per carry, an outstanding number for a back who makes his living between the tackles.
To say the porous CU defense has a large task ahead of them is to say that Syria has issues. The front-seven will be tested unlike it has been all season. But Coach Jon Embree insists his 1-3 team is confident enough to accept the challenge.

“There's no way you can play on this level, whether you lose it or win it, there is no way you can play at this level if you don't believe in yourself at the end of the day,” Embree said.
CU’s front-seven, headed by country strong defensive lineman Will Pericak, came together last week in Pullman. But have they, and the rest of the young defense, turned the corner? Even after a conference win, that question may persist well into the season.

“Going into foreign territory and winning a game, it’s going to help people believe and reinsure people and build up some confidence,” Pericak said.
The stat sheets comparing the Bruins and the Buffs look grim. Grim? OK, they’re basically covered in blood. CU is one of the worst defensive teams in the nation, allowing nearly 40 points per game.
UCLA will inevitably get its points, meaning Webb and his offense will need to keep firing. Last week he threw for a career-high 345 yards and two scores. He’s showing the same buoyancy he possesses throughout the week during Saturday showdowns.

“He has that swagger about him in practice,” Embree said. “He had that in training camp whether we were doing a two minute drill, a third down drill, whatever it was, he had that swagger and carried himself in that manner.”
Embree also said that there would be situations in which backup Connor Wood will still enter the game. Even so, the Buffs have a clear general to follow.

“There is no doubt he (Jordan Webb) is the undisputed leader on the team and the number one quarterback."

With a win under their belts and a newfound composure over their heads, the Buffs have a set example to follow. And Webb knows that the only direction mapped out from here is up.
“I’m here for a reason,” Webb said. “The coaches believe in me for a reason. I think that reason is because I’m a good player. I’m definitely not going to doubt myself now.”

AB.jpg

Back