What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An open letter to the CU community

the problem any effort to emphasize the importance of athletics by CU fans will be met with strong resistance from the haters and not supported by the administration, who want to avoid criticism from the faculty and within the Boulder community.

We have a voice, we just don't effectively use it. Just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean they need to stay that way. Should Allbuffs work to start a 'Changing the Face of Colorado Athletics' initiative?

Yes. Rialto can answer for himself but I don't read him as suggesting we give up. Instead I think he's pointing out the difficulty of the task ahead. But you gotta start somewhere...

So are we resigned to this fate - or do we have any power? 50 thousand people show up to games on Saturdays. thousands more show up for road games. I see posts about football on my Facebook feed constantly.

We have a voice, we just don't effectively use it. Just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean they need to stay that way. Should Allbuffs work to start a 'Changing the Face of Colorado Athletics' initiative?

Honestly...why aren't we trying to set something up like this? The people who populate the CU boards are some of the most passionate constituents for the University...not just for athletics but for the University as a whole. How often have you gone into a voting booth and looked at the names up for vote for CU Regents and had absolutely no idea what their plans were for the University...on all issues, not just whether they support athletics? Why can't we organize something that lets the existing regents know that we are constituency that exists and has legitimate issues.

It would have to be handled delicately to not bog down into a D vs R shouting match on the board, but why not offer each candidate the opportunity to provide information to the board on what their platforms are (and incidentally what their stance is on athletics and whether they understand the relationship between athletics and enrollment/exclusivity used to determine third party rankings). A town hall style virtual chat might be another option. Its not like the folks running for regent have a big campaign budget, its difficult for them to generate any sort of name recognition or media exposure. While the user community here is a drop in the bucket compared to the voting pool, everyone on this board is part of a wider social circle of CU alums and general voters...word of mouth endorsements for positions like regents which most people have no clue who they are voting for beyond the R or D next to the name could be a big deal.

AllBuffs is likely the only forum for such an effort since the other boards have corporate affiliation and wouldn't want to get involved...and well NetBuffs is a cess pool. Hell...if anyone wants to take it a step further and look at setting up a PAC or finding a community member that wants to step up and throw their hat in the ring we could go that route too. I know CJ has tossed around the idea of running for regent, that would likely be a fantastic way to get exposure for some of these issues. I know Derrick Brooks served for a while as a trustee for FSU. With Benson likely retiring soon, its important to have folks who will have input into hiring his replacement that will at minimum avoid hiring someone that is hostile to athletics.

Last edited:
I am not advocating giving up - just be prepared for a serious battle. Many in the Boulder community passionately hate CU athletics and football, in particular. They want to kill it completely and tried to do so by creating the so-called "scandal". If you want an insight into their hatred of CU athletics, go read the comments section to articles in the BDC on facility upgrades to athletics or increases in coaches salaries, etc.

I will sign on to this letter, real name and all, if you wish to send it to one of the papers as an op-ed Nik. It is good enough.

SuperD, I like your idea. It is very difficult to find information on Regent candidates.

While I agree that certain factions fueled the scandal, let's also be honest and admit that there were leadership issues at the time as well. The cycle of bad leadership has to change.

Also, I think Embree gets through the 2013 season and then we critically evaluate. He does not automatically deserve 4-5 years. Right now, he has a lot of ground to make up. The recruiting is going to have to improve or we are going to fall back into the down talent cycle we are trying to break.

The mission is now to use that foundation, build upon it, and deliver champions. We should be talking about wins. We should be setting expectations for coaches. If I took over as athletic director tomorrow, my first order of business would be to call every head coach into my office and ask one question: "What do you need from me in order to win a national championship?".

I love your enthusiasm, but our program is at rock bottom. A national championship in football may never happen again. I hope it does, and I graduated from CU way the hell back in 1977. You are dealing with a strange culture in Boulder. Many of the residents don't give a rat's ***** about athletics. A very large portion of the student body are from out of state, and when they graduate never come back. The black population of Boulder is almost nonexistent, around 1%. The city is made up of alot of pseudo intellectuals, and pseudo liberals who ride around in their expensive CUV's with their noses stuck up in the air. Their is no original local culture. Boulder is like Frankenstein made up of so many residents from different parts of the world that any original culture has long since been diluted. Good luck with getting money out of the administration - they have been anti athletic since I can remember.

I am not advocating giving up - just be prepared for a serious battle. Many in the Boulder community passionately hate CU athletics and football, in particular. They want to kill it completely and tried to do so by creating the so-called "scandal". If you want an insight into their hatred of CU athletics, go read the comments section to articles in the BDC on facility upgrades to athletics or increases in coaches salaries, etc.

Those people exist, but I think they're actually a vocal minority - like many of the Boulder factions.

Boulder has a lot of CU athletic hatin nutcases and that's nothing new, but that's not indicative of the majority of its alumni base or the population in Colorado. We've been great, and we can be great again. The nutcases in Boulder can't stop that, however the people at the top of the school and the AD can.

I really love the idea of an allbuffs candidate forum. I think it would accomplish a lot. Not the least of which would be to drive additional traffic to the site.

How many Regent positions are up for election this year? I know there's one at-large position. Any of the districts up for election?

I really love the idea of an allbuffs candidate forum. I think it would accomplish a lot. Not the least of which would be to drive additional traffic to the site.

How many Regent positions are up for election this year? I know there's one at-large position. Any of the districts up for election?

It is with great pride that I introduce you to the Allbuffsocratican candidate for CU Regent, Buffnik.

EDIT:

Yes, I'm serious. Don't call me Shirley.

4 districts up for election:

District 3 - Tillie Bishop (R) - not running for re-election...
District 5 - Kyle Hybl - (R)
District 7 - Irene Griego (D)
at-large - Steve Ludwig (D) - being challenged by Dr. Brian Davidson, who lost to him by 0.4% in 2006...

I'm in favor of having that. Sub-forum off one we already have? My one rule that I want for that is that we should not publicize or care about party affiliation. This is about the issues that unite us as fans and are the reason we have this internet community. It's not about whether anyone here gets overcome with puppy love or righteous anger when he/she sees an (R) or (D) after someone's name.

I'm in favor of having that. Sub-forum off one we already have? My one rule that I want for that is that we should not publicize or care about party affiliation. This is about the issues that unite us as fans and are the reason we have this internet community. It's not about whether anyone here gets overcome with puppy love or righteous anger when he/she sees an (R) or (D) after someone's name.
Agreed. I'm pretty apolitical anyways, so this won't be hard for me.

I don't care about party affiliation on Regent races. I'm not sure that party affiliation means much on that, anyway.

And, as you say, this is about what they'll do for athletics.

:facepalm:

[video=youtube;nBdgpjnKInA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdgpjnKInA[/video]

Sorry for the source of the video, but well, he's apparently scrubbed the video from the internet. start the video 50 seconds in.

Which, of course, spawned this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7oh1so-2M8

Can't do audio here at the office, so I'm not sure what you're going for here. I knew about the commercials, but if there's a joke beyond that, I lack the comprehensive knowledge of Bob Dole erectile dysfunction remedy marketing campaigns required to know what it's supposed to be....

Can't do audio here at the office, so I'm not sure what you're going for here. I knew about the commercials, but if there's a joke beyond that, I lack the comprehensive knowledge of Bob Dole erectile dysfunction remedy marketing campaigns required to know what it's supposed to be....
Umm, good lord, really?

Back