What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An open letter to the CU community

Nash, of course you are happy with Bohn. Your grand vision is that four teams from the old MWC will round out the PAC-16 and that will make us competitive in football, not us actually catching the elite teams in the current PAC-12. WTF?

I thought I responded to this thread but it appears that I didn't. I copied the two questions from Nik's blog:

1. What do I think about the Embree hire?

Too early to tell at this point for sure. Any coach would have struggled in Boulder due to the departure of the last two senior classes that were mainly Hawkins recruits. We have the chance to watch a young team develop and lay the foundation for future Buff teams if the Buffs make a bowl game this season. There is a chance we get off to a hot start so let's not jump too far ahead. There are mainly two different roads this will lead us to:

One will mean we get off to a fast start this season which allows us to get to a bowl game with a 3-6 or 4-5 conference record. I would prefer at least 4-5 in that regard but 5-4 would be awesome and if we win all our OOC games, that means we have a 8-4 record. :thumbsup: My biggest concern is Bohn makes another premature contract extension and I can't see Embree going somewhere else so soon even to the NFL. But at the same time Embree is possibly the lowest paid Pac-12 coach so a new contract will most likely come instead of an extension. Or like in the next paragraph, cheaper to buy out.

Two will mean the Buffs struggle badly this year and there's a very good chance Embree gets the ax after one more season since the Pac-12 media money will be rolling into Boulder. This is one reason why we will probably see Pac-12 coaches get run out faster than ever. Oregon State's Riley might be signed through like 2019 but I don't think his job is that safe either. You know the Phil Steele of BAYLORED? I'm afraid we might have gotten BAYLORED from firing Gary Barnett after that Big 12 CCG beating by Texas. We know too well how long it took Baylor to find their winning ways again and I SINCERELY HOPE that we are not headed that way.

2. What do I think about the CU administration?

I'm still supportive of Bohn. Will we ever get another AD that cares about CU like the Boulder native does? That is where I think the CU fans that want Bohn fired are speaking first instead of thinking first. Remember Bohn wanted to fire Dan Hawkins but was overruled by the Administration but that turned out to be a political move that secured CU's Pac-10 invite through the State Legislature about eight to nine months before the conference move was announced. We are more hamstrung by the CU President and Chancellor than Bohn and if we are to make a difference, it starts with the Chancellor. I can't comprehend that given that the current Chancellor who has worked at CU for 38 years doesn't seem to understand that athletics does play a large role in elevating the CU brand.

Again, look at the 38 years...we need an OUTSIDER who believes in the good work that athletic does for a school. I don't know if the President of the CU system will have that much impact compared to the Chancellor who basically runs the Boulder campus.

I still believe Bohn did the right thing to focus on the programs that call the Keg home. If the Pac-12 expands to include CSU, BYU, UNM, and UNLV, that will pay off in a big way because we will end up being more competitive in football over the long run with that group of schools. Speaking of Pac-12 expansion, there's a good chance the next Chancellor will be voting for that.

I think the Pac-12 move probably sped up the departure of Benson and Di because they put CU in a very good position if future leadership does the right things.

Rep worthy work. Well thought out and balanced

The direction of CU football over the next few years has a lot less to do with Embree and Bohn and much more to do with who finally, a few years to late, replaces DiStephano who is an entrenched hack working for those in the faculty who resent athletics at "their" university. This isn't because he necessarily agrees with them but rather that he is to tired and lazy to resist them.

I think that the person who has the most influence over who replaces Phil will be the person who replaces Benson so that is actually our big question. We absolutely need a President and a Chancelor who understand the value of athletics to the university, the university community, and to the city itself. We need the Boulder business community to step up in this regard and make their feeling known. CU football and to a lesser extend basketball can drive huge amounts of money into Boulder. Ever game day involves thousands of resturaunt meals, hundreds of hotel rooms, countless hours of shopping at local stores, and untold numbers of people who get positively exposed to Boulder. A winning team means network TV crews showing the Flatirons, Longs Peak, bicyclist on Boulder Creek, families on the Pearl Street Mall, and more, usually on a glorious fall day. This kind of exposure can't be bought by the university or the business community in the city.

I don't know who or how the decision on the next President will be made but it is important to start thinking about how to influence it now. Will we get another Gordon Gee who for his faults supported athletics and made CU jerseys a hot seller nationwide among kids who had no ties to CU in any way, or will will get a Betsy Hoffman who not only permitted but supported the dishonest and vicious attacks of Mary Keenon on the program, or will we get another Benson who's approach can best be described as benign neglect.

Nash, don't know much about you man, but please dont even think of things such as this :

I still believe Bohn did the right thing to focus on the programs that call the Keg home. If the Pac-12 expands to include CSU, BYU, UNM, and UNLV, that will pay off in a big way because we will end up being more competitive in football over the long run with that group of schools. Speaking of Pac-12 expansion, there's a good chance the next Chancellor will be voting for that.

The thought of those four, or any remaining west coast mid major is unappealng to say the least. Also, if something as bad as that were to happen, guess which existing four those schools would be paired with. The original PAC 8 would not be down to hang out with those guys and it would be terrible for all.

CSU
BYU
UNM
UNLV
AZ
AZST
UTAH
COLO

Nash, don't know much about you man, but please dont even think of things such as this :

The thought of those four, or any remaining west coast mid major is unappealng to say the least. Also, if something as bad as that were to happen, guess which existing four those schools would be paired with. The original PAC 8 would not be down to hang out with those guys and it would be terrible for all.

CSU
BYU
UNM
UNLV
AZ
AZST
UTAH
COLO

Nash thinks that would be glorious. He wanted us to drop down a level of competition and leave the Big 12 for the MWC.

I do have to add that in terms of Nash's reference to a division with the MWC schools, absolutely no thanks. I didn't focus on that part much because it isn't going to happen. The PAC is not interested in becoming a welfare program to provide revenue to schools that don't generate it themselves. The effect of what you propose here would simply result in the other PAC schools sacrificing millions of dollars of revenue they generate to subsidize a bunch of schools that can't make it on their own. In addition BYU comes with another whole set of issues that they simply don't want to and have no need to deal with.

Back