What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

And the Big12 is already crumbling...

In my opinion there is no way everyone passes on Texas even with its BS, but I understand your points.
:iagree:

Money talks and bull**** walks. The Pac, Big 10, and SEC would all welcome Texas and the millions of TV sets they bring to a conference. Of course, Texas would have to change their way of doing business if they joined one of those conferences, i.e. equal revenue sharing, etc. That kind of deal will always be on the table for Texas--they'll only take it if they can't find a situation where a conference let's them keep more revenue than other schools.

Money talks and bull**** walks. The Pac, Big 10, and SEC would all welcome Texas and the millions of TV sets they bring to a conference. Of course, Texas would have to change their way of doing business if they joined one of those conferences, i.e. equal revenue sharing, etc. That kind of deal will always be on the table for Texas--they'll only take it if they can't find a situation where a conference let's them keep more revenue than other schools.
When the Pac or any other conference thinks about these deals, they cannot go by a "snapshot" of present day. This is a 25 or 50 year deal, minimum. Where will Colorado, the state and region, not the school, be in, say, 15 years? Where will Texas be? Those are all subjective factors that have to be considered.

some other Pac team needs to step up and be a national behemoth....though, i'm having a hard time figuring who that will be (outside the Buffs, of course).

Washington.

Texas may someday join the Pac, but it will be on the Pac terms (equal footing), not theirs. Watching the big xii collapse will be fun:rofl:

That leaves the Pac. As I mentioned, I think that the member institutions have seen just about everything they need to see out of UT to know that they don't want any part of them. At the very least, they won't allow UT to come into the league with their own network and an unbalanced revenue scheme. Again, they have no reason to. The Pac, as it stands, is the only major conference in two time zones. UT is not really all that coveted.

2 time zomes. Wait. What?

SEC is in two time zones. ARK, TN, Louisiana, MS, AL in Central. GA, SC and FL in East.

And the Big Ten with half the conference in the Eastern and half in the Central.

Maybe Sacky meant that UT would stretch the Pac-10 across three timezones, which is attractive for network scheduling. But if UT joined the Bigteleven12 or SEC, it wouldn't give either a third time zone.

This. Will Texas change?

If they don't they could eventually find themselves as an Independent with a much, much tougher road to the BCS title game...

Last edited:
I think either some conference will give in to Texas or they will go independent. I dont think they want or are capable of changing how they do things.

I'm not sure if you doofuses are just being obtuse, but I'll spell it out for you...

The Pac is the only major conference in the Mountain time zone and the Pacific Time Zone. There is no other conference that dominates two time zones all by itself.

I think either some conference will give in to Texas or they will go independent. I dont think they want or are capable of changing how they do things.
I disagree Luke. The way things are going with the possibility of mega conferences, there's no way UT goes independent. I also believe ND will join up with someone, probably the Big10, within the next couple of years.

The Pac is the only major conference in the Mountain time zone and the Pacific Time Zone. There is no other conference that dominates two time zones all by itself.

given the overall population density disparity between the Mountain and Pacific Time zones vs. the eastern/central in the upper midwest/northeast and SEC country.....not sure to what degree that matters. sort of like saying because Colorado is a bigger state geographically than New York, it deserves more electoral votes. a kind of fetish of space when population is what drives it.

I disagree Luke. The way things are going with the possibility of mega conferences, there's no way UT goes independent. I also believe ND will join up with someone, probably the Big10, within the next couple of years.
I partially agree with you. I just think they believe they are entitled to extra than just a place in a conference. It's possible that some conference will give in to them instead of them going independent. Only way I think they go where its a level playing field for a conference is if they have no choice. That would be the mega conference route as you pointed out.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but since when did aTm start swinging a big d**k in the Big 12? Those f**kers don't move the needle like UT or Oklahoma and haven't been nationally relevant for a long time unless we're talking about giant collapsing bonfires. They should be thankful for what they're getting now.

They got an invite from the SEC. That is all that matters. Whether aTm sucks right now or not is not the point.

given the overall population density disparity between the Mountain and Pacific Time zones vs. the eastern/central in the upper midwest/northeast and SEC country.....not sure to what degree that matters. sort of like saying because Colorado is a bigger state geographically than New York, it deserves more electoral votes. a kind of fetish of space when population is what drives it.

Where is all the growth in this country going to be over the next 50 years?

Also, any games of importance at a certain time will be played out west.

I can already see the new conference slogan now...

"The Big 12: We're doing fine with nine!"

:)

I love this reply in the comments section of the story:

Business for morons (named Dan Beebe) 101: How to manage a major sports conference
Step 1: Promise teams $20 million
Step 2: Don't give it to them
Step 3: ????
Step 4: PROFIT!

How about, "We're doing great with eight!"

Let's just imagine...

A Pac 16
A Big 10 (16)
A (16) SEC
And a combo ACC/Big East football (16)

... Any independents (including ND and Texas) would never qualify for the semi's or title game because it will be the winner of each mega conference in the semi's and title game.

Independents will be dead if leagues go "mega" or to 16 members.

Texas will join the Pac, or the Big X, or the SEC, eventually, or .... will be left eating dirt.

I just hope the conferences don't sell their souls to get Texas. Texas can still be king of Friday night if they want to be. Weekends are another matter.

at this point, i'd LOVE to see UT join the Big 10....just to cheese off sanctimonious Husker Fan who has way way too much invested in the narrative that Dr. Tom "got over" on Texas.

So, does Nebraska have a vote on whether or not to allow texas into the Big Ten?

My dream scenario: OU and A&M go to the SEC. Missouri and KU to the Big 10. UT is left holding their dicks wondering WTF just happened to them. They come pleading to the Pac but CU holds the deciding vote and blackballs them.

I would love this as well.

The South and West.

Perzacly. In another 20 years, Las Vegas will be bigger than Detroit. SLC will be bigger than Cleveland. Albuquerque and Kansas City will be about the same size. As the country grows, the population shifts to the South and the West. In the West, there is only going to be one major conference.

In the end, and I have no evidence to back this, just a strong gut feeling, I think that Texas ends up in the SEC. The PAC schools are not going to bend over backwards to let Texas make the rules and in fact are more likely to only admit Texas if certain conditions restricting Texas are clearly spelled out. The PAC now is also not going to let Texas bring in a coalition with Baylor, TT, etc.

Texas doesn't want to separate from OU and OU won't go PAC without OSU even if the PAC offered OU which I think becomes less of an option. Texas is from an athletic standpoint in how they run the program a much better fit in the SEC and the SEC schools have big enough egos not to be bothered by Texas attitudes. For the SEC adding Texas (and a few friends) gives them the Texas and Oklahoma media markets and a lot of revenue potential. The SEC prominence gives Texas and OU shots at playing in the best football confernce in the country and getting paid well to do it.

If the superconferences form which I also think is eventually going to happen the PAC will snag some other schools from fast growing markets in the west that are more in tune with the PAC philosophy athletically and academically than UT/OU. Sacky is completely correct in where the the growth is. With the money coming in and population growing mid-majors right now could become major players in the future while still not threatening the balance that exist in the PAC. Schools like New Mexico, Boise, UNLV or Nevada have the potential to become quality fits, if the PAC wanted to expand its footprint even TCU might be a better fit than a beligerant Texas.

No question that Texas with the money it generates and the media market it dominates is a huge prize for any confernce that gets it but that prize is like marrying a supermodel, she looks great and brings a lot to the table but she wants her own credit card with no limit that the husband will pay for and everyone around better treat her like it is all about her. Outside of the SEC which already has schools with outsized egos and undeveloped morals any other conference getting Texas will be proud and happy at the outset but later on when the makeup comes off and the bitching and demanding starts the second thoughts will be constantly there.

I can already see the new conference slogan now...

"The Big 12: We're doing fine with nine!"

:)

I love this reply in the comments section of the story:

Business for morons (named Dan Beebe) 101: How to manage a major sports conference
Step 1: Promise teams $20 million
Step 2: Don't give it to them
Step 3: ????
Step 4: PROFIT!

That comment is awesome!

As for the motto, they need to go with something that they won't have to change every time another team bolts for the door. I suggest "'tis just a flesh wound!" :lol:

monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357.jpg

In the end, and I have no evidence to back this, just a strong gut feeling, I think that Texas ends up in the SEC. The PAC schools are not going to bend over backwards to let Texas make the rules and in fact are more likely to only admit Texas if certain conditions restricting Texas are clearly spelled out. The PAC now is also not going to let Texas bring in a coalition with Baylor, TT, etc.

Texas doesn't want to separate from OU and OU won't go PAC without OSU even if the PAC offered OU which I think becomes less of an option. Texas is from an athletic standpoint in how they run the program a much better fit in the SEC and the SEC schools have big enough egos not to be bothered by Texas attitudes. For the SEC adding Texas (and a few friends) gives them the Texas and Oklahoma media markets and a lot of revenue potential. The SEC prominence gives Texas and OU shots at playing in the best football confernce in the country and getting paid well to do it.

If the superconferences form which I also think is eventually going to happen the PAC will snag some other schools from fast growing markets in the west that are more in tune with the PAC philosophy athletically and academically than UT/OU. Sacky is completely correct in where the the growth is. With the money coming in and population growing mid-majors right now could become major players in the future while still not threatening the balance that exist in the PAC. Schools like New Mexico, Boise, UNLV or Nevada have the potential to become quality fits, if the PAC wanted to expand its footprint even TCU might be a better fit than a beligerant Texas.

No question that Texas with the money it generates and the media market it dominates is a huge prize for any confernce that gets it but that prize is like marrying a supermodel, she looks great and brings a lot to the table but she wants her own credit card with no limit that the husband will pay for and everyone around better treat her like it is all about her. Outside of the SEC which already has schools with outsized egos and undeveloped morals any other conference getting Texas will be proud and happy at the outset but later on when the makeup comes off and the bitching and demanding starts the second thoughts will be constantly there.

Two issues:

1. Texas thinks they are "above" the SEC in academics. How will upper campus feel about slumming it?

2. The SEC is probably less willing than any other conference to bend over and give Texas what it wants. There will be NO special favors for Texas in joining the SEC.

I really don't think Texas is a good fit for any conference. They will end up an Independent, and out of the running for a national title game within the next few years.

Two issues:

1. Texas thinks they are "above" the SEC in academics. How will upper campus feel about slumming it?

2. The SEC is probably less willing than any other conference to bend over and give Texas what it wants. There will be NO special favors for Texas in joining the SEC.

I really don't think Texas is a good fit for any conference. They will end up an Independent, and out of the running for a national title game within the next few years.

I agree with you about Texas feeling they are above the SEC academically, they don't seem to have a problem sharing a conference with KSU and some of the other less than stellar institutions in the Big XII and the SWC wasn't a problem for them either in that regard.

They will get no special favors in the SEC but with Texas and its media market the SEC might be able in the near future to promise $25 million plus per team and a shot at the NC. Texas is arrogant enough to think that they can compete on a yearly basis for the SEC crown which normally carries with it a shot at the national championship.

I agree with you that they are not a perfect fit but the SEC fits them best and they will go for the money and the chance at the ring. Their fans will not accept them being on the outside looking in and force the issue. They won't be happy but they will do a great job of putting on that cheerleader smile and acting like they are while they head to the bank with their money.

I'm not sure if you doofuses are just being obtuse, but I'll spell it out for you...

Ahhh. makes perfect sense now. Didn't read your OP from that point of view. Me doofus no longer

That comment is awesome!

As for the motto, they need to go with something that they won't have to change every time another team bolts for the door. I suggest "'tis just a flesh wound!" :lol:

monty-python-black-knight-with-one-arm-off-794357.jpg

tis MERELY a flesh wound

A&M is a big deal in Texas. If A&M had an invite to the SEC in hand I'd guess they'd probably take it. I just don't see how the B12 will have the cash to pay all these other schools after the Black Hole that is UT continues to take more for themselves at the detriment of the rest of the members.

I see Texas reluctantly joining some conference when the rest of the Big 12 falls apart. The ideal scenario would be A&M going SEC one year and they fill that spot with TCU. Then the next year Missouri bolts to the Big 10. And they add Rice or SMU. Then the earthquake hits and OU leaves...

Back