What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

Picking the junk off the boards and putting it back is an offensive identity. Just ask Faried.

I think Faried is far more explosive, although Andre is taller.

You're naming one player from of a league of hundreds. Developing skill with the ball in his hands would really bump his stock, no question.

You're naming one player from of a league of hundreds. Developing skill with the ball in his hands would really bump his stock, no question.
I can't disagree. Andre will not play the PF position in the NBA. Unless he plays the stretch 4 out on the perimeter.

Andre is an inch shorter and 20 lbs. lighter actually.

I'd be shocked if Roberson leaves for the NBA. He has no offensive identity whatsoever. He really needs to use next season to develop a consistent jump shot and/or create a post game. He's a great 4 year player in college hoops, he should take advantage of that... And I think he will.
He could definitely get better by coming back, but he could always put himself in a position of being undraftable. I want him to stay but more for selfish reasons. It's a completely different if he's not back and/or Spencer.

The good thing these days is that the NBA seems to cooperate a lot more with the college level to give an accurate assessment before a player has signed with an agent.

Dre needs to collect all the facts, talk it over with Tad and his parents, and then do the smart thing for himself (whatever that is).

I'd be shocked if Roberson leaves for the NBA. He has no offensive identity whatsoever. He really needs to use next season to develop a consistent jump shot and/or create a post game. He's a great 4 year player in college hoops, he should take advantage of that... And I think he will.

We've now been saying that for 3 years. If he comes back and still doesn't develop one he's a 4 year player who was never able to develop a consistent jump shot and create a post game.

There is absolutely zero upside for him to come back. Why let your game get picked a apart for another year?

As others have pointed out, didn't Roby make a mistake coming back after his Sophomore year? He became undraftable.

He could definitely get better by coming back, but he could always put himself in a position of being undraftable. I want him to stay but more for selfish reasons. It's a completely different if he's not back and/or Spencer.

If he's going to the NBA for that reason, he won't last long

If he's going to the NBA for that reason, he won't last long
It's better than not making it at all. If his dream is to play in the NBA, he might as well do it before the window closes. If he wants to spend 4 years in college then try to get to the NBA via the Copeland route, he can stay another year.

We've now been saying that for 3 years. If he comes back and still doesn't develop one he's a 4 year player who was never able to develop a consistent jump shot and create a post game.

There is absolutely zero upside for him to come back. Why let your game get picked a apart for another year?

From everything I've read, he is a late second round pick or undrafted. After a season where his production and efficiency has decreased, his stock can't get much lower. He made solid improvements from his freshman to sophomore seasons. He is capable of doing it again in my opinion.

There is a world of difference between being a first round pick and second round pick. Very little if any guaranteed money in second round. Not that much difference between being a second round pick and being undrafted, you have to prove yourself before making the roster either way.

There is no right answer here. As some have mentioned, it depends on what his goals are. If he truly thinks he's peaked then he has a real decision to make. If he feels like he can improve and wants to assure himself of being drafted and work towards that first round, he should stay.

Last edited:
I think he's got a career in the NBA regardless of where he gets picked. I wouldn't blame him for focusing on guaranteed money, but ultimately it won't matter because he is a future pro and he'll make good money. Question is, does he stay to make up for a one and done knowing the league will be there afterwards, just like it is this year?

From everything I've read, he is a late second round pick or undrafted. After a season where his production and efficiency has decreased, his stock can't get much lower. He made solid improvements from his freshman to sophomore seasons. He is capable of doing it again in my opinion.

There is a world of difference between being a first round pick and second round pick. Very little if any guaranteed money in second round. Not that much difference between being a second round pick and being undrafted, you have to prove yourself before making the roster either way.

There is no right answer here. As some have mentioned, it depends on what his goals are. If he truly thinks he's peaked then he has a real decision to make. If he feels like he can improve and wants to assure himself of being drafted and work towards that first round, he should stay.

This is what worries me. You get picked in the second round and you can be playing for the Bakersfield Jam a week into the season.

I think he's got a career in the NBA regardless of where he gets picked. I wouldn't blame him for focusing on guaranteed money, but ultimately it won't matter because he is a future pro and he'll make good money. Question is, does he stay to make up for a one and done knowing the league will be there afterwards, just like it is this year?
I don't follow the NBA Draft boards as much as some, but there's no guaranteed money it sounds like unless he sneaks into the first round. He can probably have a pro career but it won't necessarily be the NBA after next season.

This is what worries me. You get picked in the second round and you can be playing for the Bakersfield Jam a week into the season.

Even if he got drafted in the 1st round somewhere, he could be playing in the DLeague very early to get playing time.

Re: the Faried comparisons, I think Andre is a better defender then Faried but Faried is the better rebounder and athlete. More aggressive offensively as well. Know they get compared a lot but really not that similar of players other then both being undersized and good rebounders

Andris Biedrins collects 9m a year in the NBA. Dre will be fine.

Biedrins is an odd case. I remember the season he "earned" that contract, he was putting up doouble doubles every night, ran the floor well, and he seemed decently athletic despite being clunky. Then his whole game went to hell.

All of the points saying Dre is not ready/big enuf etc is why I think BOTH Dre and Dinwiddie are gone. Dinwiddie is the perfect NBA body that gets drafted on potential....

Andre

Dinwiddie figures to make much more money by staying one more year. He's the projected #9 pick next year, not even on the boards this year.

While everyone is focusing on the guaranteed money of first round contracts, 2nd round picks can and do get guaranteed deals. I've posted this elsewhere and am too lazy to look it up again right now, but most of the college picks will get at least one year guaranteed, and usually two with an option for a third. Even at the league minimum it works out to about 750k per year. Teams do it because they have to pay someone to sit at the end of the bench for minimum anyway, and if they do see potential, they can pick up the option year and retain full Bird rights when the player hits free agency. So, while it's not a sure thing Dress would get a guaranteed deal in round 2, the odds are pretty high that his guarantees would be within a couple hundred thousand dollars of a late first round pick.

Dre is pretty maxed out as a prospect. He can't get any better in college offensively due to the limited amount of time he can practice with also being a student, and his defense and rebounding are already elite. He will never be a good outside shooter or free throw shooter at the college level, but he can help pro teams in other ways. He won't get drafted because of his offense.

I think he is a perfect role player in the NBA as a defender/rebounder off the bench to provde a spark.

I would be surprised to see him come back, but I sincerely hope he does come back because our team next year could be scary good with him.

As for Dinwiddie, he would be at best a 2nd rounder this year and probably spend most of next year in the D league or playing garbage minutes (5-10 minutes/game) on an NBA team. Not the best scenario for him IMO.

Right now, he has good length, size (height), and shooting form for a combo guard, but he needs another year to increase his strength in the upper body (still gets pushed around too much) and learn to finish at the rim more consistently (watch Burks tapes).

He took a little step back compared to his freshmen year in 3pt shooting percentage because he played more point guard this year compared to wing last year. I expect to see an improvement next year, and if he adds another 5-10 lbs of muscle, his "and 1s" will increase as well. He could increase his scoring to the 18-20pt range easily. That will impress scouts.

He isn't the most explosive player, which hurts his stock a little, although he has shown more dunking ability this year (dunk vs. Stanford was sweet!), his game is still below the rim, but he can do many other things very well, so I think he can improve a few more things and be drafted in the top 15 next year easily. I bet scouts love his versality!

I believe XJ has the most potential on the team if he can fix his handles, post moves, and FT shooting percentage. He is already built like a NBA small forward as a true frosh, and he is plently athletic.

Scott has great potential as well, but he is limited due to his below the rim game as well. He needs 20-40 lbs of weight to help him, and I can see him being a terrific college player but limited to make the next level beyond a bench player, which is great for us because he will probably stay four years.

Dre is pretty maxed out as a prospect. He can't get any better in college offensively due to the limited amount of time he can practice with also being a student, and his defense and rebounding are already elite. He will never be a good outside shooter or free throw shooter at the college level, but he can help pro teams in other ways. He won't get drafted because of his offense.

I think he is a perfect role player in the NBA as a defender/rebounder off the bench to provde a spark.

I would be surprised to see him come back, but I sincerely hope he does come back because our team next year could be scary good with him.

As for Dinwiddie, he would be at best a 2nd rounder this year and probably spend most of next year in the D league or playing garbage minutes (5-10 minutes/game) on an NBA team. Not the best scenario for him IMO.

Right now, he has good length, size (height), and shooting form for a combo guard, but he needs another year to increase his strength in the upper body (still gets pushed around too much) and learn to finish at the rim more consistently (watch Burks tapes).

He took a little step back compared to his freshmen year in 3pt shooting percentage because he played more point guard this year compared to wing last year. I expect to see an improvement next year, and if he adds another 5-10 lbs of muscle, his "and 1s" will increase as well. He could increase his scoring to the 18-20pt range easily. That will impress scouts.

He isn't the most explosive player, which hurts his stock a little, although he has shown more dunking ability this year (dunk vs. Stanford was sweet!), his game is still below the rim, but he can do many other things very well, so I think he can improve a few more things and be drafted in the top 15 next year easily. I bet scouts love his versality!

I believe XJ has the most potential on the team if he can fix his handles, post moves, and FT shooting percentage. He is already built like a NBA small forward as a true frosh, and he is plently athletic.

Scott has great potential as well, but he is limited due to his below the rim game as well. He needs 20-40 lbs of weight to help him, and I can see him being a terrific college player but limited to make the next level beyond a bench player, which is great for us because he will probably stay four years.

Good post. Agreed on all points - XJ has the most potential. I am so amped to see his progression (hope he's already working on that foul shot for next season).

Good post. Agreed on all points - XJ has the most potential. I am so amped to see his progression (hope he's already working on that foul shot for next season).

All XJ does is dunk and make 3 pointers. As if that translates to the NBA game. :wink2:

While everyone is focusing on the guaranteed money of first round contracts, 2nd round picks can and do get guaranteed deals. I've posted this elsewhere and am too lazy to look it up again right now, but most of the college picks will get at least one year guaranteed, and usually two with an option for a third. Even at the league minimum it works out to about 750k per year. Teams do it because they have to pay someone to sit at the end of the bench for minimum anyway, and if they do see potential, they can pick up the option year and retain full Bird rights when the player hits free agency. So, while it's not a sure thing Dress would get a guaranteed deal in round 2, the odds are pretty high that his guarantees would be within a couple hundred thousand dollars of a late first round pick.

I went back through the deals last year's 2nd round picks received. Of the 30 2nd round picks, 8 were international guys who teams are typically stashing overseas. That left 22 college players picked in round 2. Of those 22, here is the contract breakdown:

3 (including 2 of the final 3 picks of the entire draft) signed contracts to play professionally overseas
4 received non-guaranteed NBA contracts
6 received 2 or 3 year deals, with the first year fully guaranteed
9 received 2 year guarantees on 2 or 3 year deals

I was also a little off on the minimum contracts. A first year player is guaranteed 490k next year, the 2nd year minimum would be 816k, and year 3 would be 947k. Basically, if Dre can even get into the top half of round 2 (or maybe find a fit with a team like SA who would value his D), there's a pretty decent chance he'd be guaranteed about 1.3m. Being picked anywhere in round 2 gives him about a 70% shot at a guaranteed deal around 500k. However small those numbers may be by NBA standards, that's pretty significant money and would be hard to pass up.

San Antonio already has their version of Dre in Kawhi Leonard. Who I view as a comparable NBA player to Dre. Maybe a few less rebounds but similar qualities. Leonard developed that three point shot when he came to the Spurs and it really bolstered his game.

Back