What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre Roberson 1 - Internet Geniuses 0

I'm seeing some idiotic chatter from some douchebags who can't accept they and/or their sources were proven wrong.

Andre Roberson was a 1st round draft pick with a guaranteed long-term contract worth millions. This is FACT. It is FACT that trumps all the other arguments.

It doesn't matter if it was a risky move that put everything on a bet that a team or two would fall in love with Dre's rare skill set so he'd be drafted high. They did. He was. FACT.

It's irrelevant if most NBA GMs, sports media and "experts" call the pick a mistake. Whether Dre lives up to the hype and contract of a #1 is irrelevant. He is a #1 pick. He got his money.

So we know he got his "Blue Sky" scenario. We don't know that he would have gotten it next year. Dre won. Focusing on anything except that fact is douchey sour grapes.

I'm seeing some idiotic chatter from some douchebags who can't accept the and/or their sources were proven wrong.

Andre Roberson was a 1st round draft pick with a guaranteed long-term contract worth millions. This is FACT. It is FACT that trumps all the other arguments.

It doesn't matter if it was a risky move that put everything on a bet that a team of two would fall in love with Dre's rare skill set so he'd be drafted high. They did. He was. FACT.

It's irrelevant if most NBA GMs, sports media and "experts" call the pick a mistake. Whether Dre lives up to the hype and contract of a #1 is irrelevant. He is. He got his money.

So we know he got his "Blue Sky" scenario. We don't know that he would have gotten it next year. Dre won. Focusing on anything except that fact is douchey sour grapes.

:clap:

I'm seeing some idiotic chatter from some douchebags who can't accept the and/or their sources were proven wrong.

It doesn't matter if it was a risky move that put everything on a bet that a team of two would fall in love with Dre's rare skill set so he'd be drafted high. They did. He was. FACT.

It's irrelevant if most NBA GMs, sports media and "experts" call the pick a mistake. Whether Dre lives up to the hype and contract of a #1 is irrelevant. He is. He got his money.

REP THIS MAN.

(caps)

A team with Kevin Durant, can allow Dre to play his game and all the while develop his own offensive skills for what they will eventually contribute to the team. But not every NBA outfit has that luxury!

Now Dre has the time (and the money!) to get himself a nutritionist and PT, as well as some coaching intensively focused on his "O" game at the next level. Best of luck to him; he's a great ambassador for the Buffs!

So excited for Dre! I'm happy to eat crow. I didn't think he would be a 1st rounder with his offensive limitations. Now, we can see that the NBA values other things just as much. He will probably never be a good scorer, but he doesn't have to be with Durant and Westbrook. He can focus on his elite skills in rebounding and defense.

I think he spends a lot of time in the D league to start to get more playing time and a call up later on in the year toward the end of the season/playoffs. He will be even more of a beast on the boards once we gains 10-20lbs.

Major congratulations to Dre. We had a lot of discussion about who his comp was in the league, and I had definitely brought up Thabo Sefelosha (although the morons on 104.3 this morning were trying to say Serge Ibaka. Dumbasses). Now he can go take Thabo's job, and do it better. He won't be relied on to score in OKC, Durant and Westbrook have that covered. Great situation for Dre. Go kick ass.

Andre is definitely in the building!
[video]http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2013/06/28/20130627-nba-draft-pick26-roberson.nba[/video]
[video]http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2013/06/28/nba-draft-interview-andre-roberson.nba[/video]

Andre reps CU hard. Congratulations Dre.

Last edited:
congratulations to roberson for achieving the next step in his dream. that's pretty damned awesome. he was a great Buff and it is nice to see it paid off for him to come out. if we are going to run with the big dogs, we've got to accept that very few high-achieving players will be with us for long. that's the game. we can wring our hands over how cool it would be to have him another year, but that's just because we're generally not used to having nba talent like this guy very often. hopefully, that's changing. i'm so happy for him and his family and also for the great attention it gives to our program. our program produces NBA talent! and it looks like that may be a regular occurence for us.

rejoice, don't hate!

hopefully, that's changing
It already has.

Alec Burks (Round 1, #12 Overall)
Cory Higgins (Undrafted)

Carlon Brown (Undrafted)

Andre Roberson (Round 1, #26 Overall)

Yet to be drafted but should be in the future
Spencer Dinwiddie (1st round)
Xavier Johnson (Unsure)
Josh Scott (Unsure)

We are on the fast track to have three first round picks in four years, that's impressive for most programs, let alone ours.

It was a good night for Dre...who I am very happy for even though I admit I didn't think it would happen like that

I am also very happy for Colorado basketball because we are definately starting to build a national image that basketball is for real here

jk! Between my wizzers account and this one, I wrote all of 'em, because as much as I liked Dre, I did not initially think his decision was sound for his short term future and I did not like the implications of his father's comments. His "O" still has miles to go and that is not the fault of this staff!

Besides, anybody here who claims they thought he'd go that high is greatly exaggerating---euphemistically speaking!

Wish him nothing but the best. Now maybe he can share a wall in the CEC with Chauncey?

fify. Way to sort of man up, pussy.

It already has.

Alec Burks (Round 1, #12 Overall)
Cory Higgins (Undrafted)

Carlon Brown (Undrafted)

Andre Roberson (Round 1, #26 Overall)

Yet to be drafted but should be in the future
Spencer Dinwiddie (1st round)
Xavier Johnson (Unsure)
Josh Scott (Unsure)

We are on the fast track to have three first round picks in four years, that's impressive for most programs, let alone ours.

Watch me rain our your parade. If we had four NBA players on our roster, including two first rounders. How did we finish 5th in the PAC 12. Get stomped by ASU twice and lose to both Utah and Oregon State? Sounds like underachieving to me.

Watch me rain our your parade. If we had four NBA players on our roster, including two first rounders. How did we finish 5th in the PAC 12. Get stomped by ASU twice and lose to both Utah and Oregon State? Sounds like underachieving to me.

:ban:

By having no bench and not having a shooter like Chris Jenkins

By having no bench and not having a shooter like Chris Jenkins

Think about the bull**** you are saying for a second. That lack of bench and no shooters sure did okay versus a few tourney team in CSU, Oregon, Zona and Cal.

Youth. 2/4 were frosh. Dre was out for OSU (although this talented group beat UO a few days earlier without Dre).

When they were right, last year's team was able to beat anyone. Immaturity & lack of leadership caused them to give inconsistent performances and also be a completely different team on the road.

Think about the bull**** you are saying for a second. That lack of bench and no shooters sure did okay versus a few tourney team in CSU, Oregon, Zona and Cal.

Yeah, but do you also remember how many scoreless droughts we had? Like against Oregon State, Cal, and Illinois? Are you really arguing that having no bench and no go to shooter didn't cause us to lose some games that dropped us in the standings?

Andre is definitely in the building!
[video]http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2013/06/28/20130627-nba-draft-pick26-roberson.nba[/video]
[video]http://www.nba.com/video/channels/draft/2013/06/28/nba-draft-interview-andre-roberson.nba[/video]

Andre reps CU hard. Congratulations Dre.

Who is that doing the interview, Dickie Dunn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Youth. 2/4 were frosh. Dre was out for OSU (although this talented group beat UO a few days earlier without Dre).

When they were right, last year's team was able to beat anyone. Immaturity & lack of leadership caused them to give inconsistent performances and also be a completely different team on the road.

This. I couldn't believe the difference between the team I saw undress Oregon and the team that stepped on its collective crank two days later against OSU. The only explanation is youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I can buy the youth = inconsistency argument but wasn't Michigan the youngest team in the tournament? Here was their main rotation:

Trey Burke - sophmore
Tim Hardaway - junior
Nik Stauskas - freshman
Glen Robinson - Freshman
Mitch McGary - Freshman
Jordan Morgan - RS Junior

Obviously a very talented roster full of NBA prospect, but we also had a NBA roster full of NBA prospects. Was their coaching a little bit better, consistency a bit better, bench a bit deeper? probably yes to all 3. Looking back at their schedule they had only a single bad loss (to Penn State) but it looks a lot different than our loss to Utah. They lost 78-84 and as we know that on any given night a player or two can have a hot shooting night to keep teams in games (think our game versus Texas Southern) our loss to Utah was two team playing terrible with us playing even more terrible. What we really need to see in the future is our team show up for every game and like Tad says that we dictate how the other team plays. If we force them into long 3 pointers and they win, we will live with the consequences.

I guess the million dollar question is: Does Tad Boyle turn prospects like Dre and Spencer into NBA prospects, or were they always NBA prospects and just undervalued coming out of high school? Or is a combination of both.

I can buy the youth = inconsistency argument but wasn't Michigan the youngest team in the tournament? Here was their main rotation:

Trey Burke - sophmore
Tim Hardaway - junior
Nik Stauskas - freshman
Glen Robinson - Freshman
Mitch McGary - Freshman
Jordan Morgan - RS Junior

Obviously a very talented roster full of NBA prospect, but we also had a NBA roster full of NBA prospects. Was their coaching a little bit better, consistency a bit better, bench a bit deeper? probably yes to all 3. Looking back at their schedule they had only a single bad loss (to Penn State) but it looks a lot different than our loss to Utah. They lost 78-84 and as we know that on any given night a player or two can have a hot shooting night to keep teams in games (think our game versus Texas Southern) our loss to Utah was two team playing terrible with us playing even more terrible. What we really need to see in the future is our team show up for every game and like Tad says that we dictate how the other team plays. If we force them into long 3 pointers and they win, we will live with the consequences.

I guess the million dollar question is: Does Tad Boyle turn prospects like Dre and Spencer into NBA prospects, or were they always NBA prospects and just undervalued coming out of high school? Or is a combination of both.

There are 3 main differences that stand out to me between CU and Michigan last year:

1. Shooting- Burke, Hardaway and Stauskas all hit from the 3 point line with much greater consistency than any of the Buffs. While XJ actually made a higher percentage of his attempts than Hardaway or Burke, he was much more selective with his opportunities, taking only 57 3 point attempts vs nearly 200 for each of the three Michigan kids. That allowed the Wolverines to spread the floor more effectively and made the offense more consistent.

2. College readiness- Having NBA level talent does not necessarily equate to readiness. Michigan had two first round picks THIS year, not projected down the line, including a lottery pick in Burke. In addition, Robinson was a 5* kid, just outside the top-10, who was ready to contribute immediately, as was Stauskas, another top-100 kid. In XJ and Scott, CU landed two outstanding 4*, top-100 recruits, but neither appeared quite ready to take over as freshmen. In Scott's case, he needed physical development and strength, and we all saw how he faded toward the end of the year. For XJ, it was almost the opposite, as he was very physical and couldn't stay out of foul trouble early, and didn't fit comfortably at the 3. As he played more 4 later in the year, he really started to improve. I think we'll see a big jump next year.

3. Go-to scoring- This is strongly correlated with #2, but Dinwiddie was really the only guy we could count on to come up with a big bucket when we needed it. Michigan had both Burke and Hardaway doing that and, along with their superior outside shooting, it made them much less prone to long scoring droughts and off nights. Again, this should improve next year, as Booker should be better and I expect both XJ and Scott to develop more of that killer instinct.

In short, there's a big difference between NBA level natural ability and NBA readiness and that's where we really fell short on the developmental curve last year.

Great points mattrob and I fully agree. But there is no way anyone can convince me we underachieved last year. I really think it all hinged on losing that Arizona game.

Great points mattrob and I fully agree. But there is no way anyone can convince me we underachieved last year. I really think it all hinged on losing that Arizona game.

No, I don't think we underachieved. We were pretty much where we should have been given the circumstances. Had Scott been able to maintain his early season level of play throughout the season, it might have been a different story, but that was pretty unrealistic to expect from a 6'10" 210 lb freshman post.

The one other point that I don't think everyone takes into account is that last year's team still didn't have the composition that Tad wanted. With such a low baseline to start, his recruiting really focused on increasing the athleticism and overall talent level in the first couple of classes, but that meant not all of the pieces fit together quite as well as we all would have liked. This year's class really addressed that with the length and athleticism added on the wing, as well as the shooting ability that guys like Thomas, King and Fletcher have the potential to bring. The rosters will be more complete in coming years.

I am jacked for Dre. If he fell late second, or third round we all would have second guessed him leaving all year. Now there is no doubt that what he did was right. Also means there is little doubt that the Mayor is gone after this year.
It would've been a little tough to "fall" to the third round... there is none.

I think we either overachieved in OOC games or underachieved in conference play. Home losses to ASU, OSU and a road loss to Utah were hard to take.

Back