What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Annual Game with CSU - wanted to get updated opinions

What should be the future of the CU-CSU series?

• Continue at Inveso every year

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus every year

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Continue at Invesco with breaks in the series

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus with breaks in the series

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • Kill it with fire

Votes: 58 39.5%

• Total voters
I am 100% confident Rick George will do what is best for CU in this series. I don't mind the series, but we have to start acting like big brother. Meaning we need a 2 for 1 with huge money implications in CU's favor, or something along those lines. If not, kill it with fire. This game doesn't do anything for CU in the grand scheme of college football. I'm not worried in the list that Rick will do what's best here.

Back in the winter of 2007/2008 CSU fans came it in droves (relative term) and explained how great this rivalry was for the state of Colorado. CU fans were united against extending the annual matchup, and even more opposed to playing it in Denver.

It's played in Denver because CSU has insufficient facilities to host it, and they would lose money. So every other year we lose the opportunity to host a home game for what amounts to charity (we don't ultimately make as much as we could). This whole thing was driven by the CSU AD who solicited support from the state legislature and governor.

Seriously, if CSU fans think that this rivalry is bad, they need to go **** themselves right now. They were part of the problem that shoved this down our throat in the first place.

I'm a season ticket holder and I will not return to a game at Sports Authority. It's toxic.

Go back to the winter of 2007/2008 and look at the archives sports articles and see what CSU fans had to say about this POS. And look at the reasonable (and prophetic) counter of the CU fans.

Kill it with fire.
Spot. On.

laughing to myself. @CVilleBuff can confirm or correct, but I bet that before we came to the ACC, UVA fans used to see the UVA/VT rivalry the way CU fans see the CSU rivalry.

It was similar, although UVA sucking so bad until '84 made it a little different, so there was really only about 8 years of UVA being good and having the ACC while the Hokies sucked AND lacked UVA's elite conference affiliation. Even later, I admittedly was not happy about UVA being forced to stump for the inclusion of the Hokies into the ACC. However, as much of a rivalry as it is, CU/CSU is a million times more vitriolic and downright nasty. It's not even enjoyable being a part of it. Just a ****ty, dirty "rivalry". Hoos and Hokies banter but the difference is there's mutual respect. CU and CSU have no mutual respect.

Last edited:
674_kill_it_with_fire-s379x215-3022.gif

So did the Toledo AD

That was one of the worst dominoes of bad negotiation in the history of athletic directors.

Not only agreed to take a stronger MAC opponent as a replacement game...

but also agreed to play it on a Friday night on the road...

and agreed to let some regional Fox affiliate (I want to say ROOT) move the CSU game from Saturday to Sunday the week before.

Only CU under Bohn.

No other BCS program in the nation would:

a) schedule a non-BCS program with equal splits at a neutral site while giving the non-BCS program the leverage of an option to schedule the final game in its home stadium if it needed to do that to strong-arm a renewal of the series;

b) allow a road game against any opponent, let alone a non-BCS opponent, to be scheduled on the road 5 days after playing the opener at a neutral site against a non-BCS rival.

Then there was the adding of the one-off at Ohio State in Embree's first year as a money grab.

I'm not going to sit here and say that either Hawkins or Embree would have been successful here, but Bohn didn't do them any favors.

I don't hate Bohn like some, but he always got worked in these negotiations. RG proved last year w the floods that he could adapt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't hate Bohn like some, but he always got worked in these negotiations. RG proved last year w the floods that he could adapt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Heck, I was a Bohn defender. There's a lot I liked and still like about Bohn.

I'd also give my left nut to have him sitting across the table from me in a negotiation. :lol:

Bohn was confused the whole time and thought he was working for UNC-Greeley

Bohn was confused the whole time and thought he was working for UNC-Greeley

One of the reasons CU gets disrespected from folks despite its actual performance over the decades is that CU doesn't respect itself. You look at some of the moves that were made in scheduling, among other things, and it's just sad. Act like a bitch and people will treat you like a bitch.

Glad that is finally fixed. RG isn't afraid to swing his dick.

Our team needs to get less ****ty. Then this takes care of itself. The separation between the p5 and everyone else was shrinking for a while (reduced scholarship numbers). However, with even the rumor of stipends etc, it will widen substantially.

The he first few games of the season are used by big programs to whip little programs' asses, develop depth, figure out the playbook, and build confidence. Fans get first glimpses at the new team.

Ohio state beats ohio 77-3. Florida beats Jacksonville state 55-10. Yearly beat downs like that reduce opposing fan trash talk and attendance, making the next game that much easier.

csu is, and should be that team for us. They are our warm up. They're our local cupcake . We all know it Sure, if marshal beats wvu, it will headline local news. But it does because it's so unexpected.

I want cu to play csu every year to start the season. I get to see my buffs play in person opening weekend and be very sure they'll win. I will happily drive 19 miles to watch them win "on the road" surrounded by my cu brethren. What's not to like?

we just have to stop sucking and play like a p5 school. Who cares if it's their Super Bowl? We're bigger, stronger, faster, meaner, and better coached. Hopefully, we're getting back to that now.

Point being, csu isn't the problem here. We are. On e we get back to being us, this "rivalry" goes away and we spend all off season worrying about USC and ucla.

penn state has temple. Florida state has the citadel. Sec schools have all sorts of cupcakes nearby.

Reactions: aik
Does anyone know how this conversation goes between UW-WSU and Oregon-OSU fans? Same kind of tone (it does seem like Arizona-ASU, Oklahoma-OKState, UNC-NCState, etc fans all do like their rivalries, but they are all somewhat more closely matched.

Obviously it is different being in different conferences, but I am just curious.

Not just different conferences, but different levels. CSU is not BCS. All those others are.

CU wins, no bonus points. CU loses, big penalty. Only bonus for CU fans is that when CU does what it should and it hammers CSU, we don't hear any bleating for another 364 days. That is a bonus.

Not just different conferences, but different levels. CSU is not BCS. All those others are.

CU wins, no bonus points. CU loses, big penalty. Only bonus for CU fans is that when CU does what it should and it hammers CSU, we don't hear any bleating for another 364 days. That is a bonus.

Win or lose, I still wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.

If they continue playing it...it should be on campus. There are not enough benefits on CU's side to continue the series however

Aside from all the other negatives (the game blows, Invesco sucks, no win situation for CU, etc.), we now have precious few OOC games. Why waste one on a game no one wants to see every year? I'm totally fine with playing CSU every so often (maybe a home and home per decade), just not every year. Something like that would make this game more attractive for the fans long term anyway. It's too much right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having grown up in Iowa, this series really reminds me of the Iowa-Iowa State series. I even remember listening to Iowa fans say that playing Iowa State only helped the Cyclones and did nothing for the Hawkeyes and they should cancel the series. In fact, an Iowa fan in my office just made that exact comment to me last week when we were talking about college football.

Aside from that, if you look at that series historically there are some parallels. Iowa and Iowa State have played a total of 61 games with the first game being played in 1894. Iowa has won 41 of those games. From 1983 to 1997 Iowa won 15 straight games over the Cyclones. Similarly, CU went 9-1 against CSU during that same stretch in 10 games. Both series actually started to get competitive again around 1999 to the present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa–Iowa_State_football_rivalry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Showdown

I know it is not a perfect comparison given that Iowa State is in a BCS conference, but I think overall profiles of CU and CSU are very similar to Iowa and Iowa State as institutions and the fans view each other in much the same way. Iowa has never respected Iowa State and the fans hate each other for it.

Last edited:
Having grown up in Iowa, this series really reminds me of the Iowa-Iowa State series. I even remember listening to Iowa fans say that playing Iowa State only helped the Cyclones and did nothing for the Hawkeyes and they should cancel the series. In fact, an Iowa fan in my office just made that exact comment to me last week when we were talking about college football.

Aside from that, if you look at that series historically there are some parallels. Iowa and Iowa State have played a total of 61 games with the first game being played in 1894. Iowa has won 41 of those games. From 1983 to 1997 Iowa won 15 straight games over the Cyclones. Similarly, CU went 9-1 against CSU during that same stretch in 10 games. Both series actually started to get competitive again around 1999 to the present.

I know it is not a perfect comparison given that Iowa State is in a BCS conference, but I think overall profiles of CU and CSU are very similar to Iowa and Iowa State as institutions and the fans view each other in much the same way. Iowa has never respected Iowa State and the fans hate each other for it.

You raise a compelling argument to scrap the Iowa, Iowa State series.

End it now!

There are three major differences between CU/CSU and UI/ISU series.

1) Iowa/Iowa State is played on campus.
2) BiG plays 8 conference games to the Pac 12's 9.
3) ISU is a BCS school.

Iowa State - Iowa is a very valid comparison in that Iowa has been a traditionally successfull program for a long time and ISU has not. Iowa has never reached the levels of some of their B1G conference mates like Michigan or tOSU or PSU but they have had and/or been in the running for Rose Bowls and other major bowls, been highly ranked over multiple eras etc. while ISU has had some limited success but traditionally been in the lower end of their conference and sometimes been at or near the bottom of the college football world.

There are a couple of big differences as well though. One is as you mentioned ISU is in a major conference. When they are bad it is because they are losing to Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas, etc. CSU when they are bad is losing to Wyoming, UNLV, and Utah State, much less notable programs.

The other big difference is that Iowa and Iowa State are the two significant sports enterprises in Iowa. Yes lots of people in Iowa are fans of pro sports franchises with strong interest in those located in Chicago, St. Louis, and Minneapolis but within the state Iowa and ISU are the two top dogs.

In Colorado CU isn't competing with CSU for top dog position or even close. This is first and foremost a Bronco state with the other pro franchises also drawing a huge degree of allegiance. CU is easily the top non-pro sports enterprise but they aren't competing with CSU for interest they are dealing with the pros. It could be argued that CSU isn't even next in line since the AFA draws bigger crowds, better TV numbers, and more national interest and respect.

Iowa is also a different situation since a much higher percentage of Iowans have family and cultural ties to the state. It is not close to as transient a population as Colorado. The Iowa schools are also not dealing with competing with the array of other entertainment/recreational options that CU (and CSU) have to.

The core fans of CU-CSU do dislike each other but unfortunately for both schools the majority of people don't care that much. College football simply isn't a big piece of the fabric of life like it is in many other places.

I went to CSU, did my master program there. I like the school and a lot of the people associated with the school. My personal view is that CSU is throwing money down a rat hole trying to maintain a major college football program in an environment where the powers of college football don't want them and the majority of the people who would be their supporters don't care.

This is not to say that CSU doesn't have a core of very dedicated and interested fans, they clearly do. This core has stuck with them through disappointments and lousy seasons, through conference turmoil, through repeated coaching changes, etc. Unfortunately this core is not large enough and more importantly financially viable enough to justify CSU continuing to try to enter and compete in the world of major college football.

I think that CSU would actually be much better off to build a 18-20k stadium on campus and go after success in the world of FCS football. Be a big fish in a smaller pond instead of a bait fish in a swarm of sharks.

There are three major differences between CU/CSU and UI/ISU series.

1) Iowa/Iowa State is played on campus.
2) BiG plays 8 conference games to the Pac 12's 9.
3) ISU is a BCS school.

I agree with you. There distinct differences and it is not a perfect comparison. However, I think it is about the closest comparison of the CU and CSU series that exists.

Last edited:
I agree with you. There distinct differences and it is not a perfect comparison. However, I think it is about the closest comparison of the CU and CSU series.

The closest comparison is Arkansas and Arkansas State. All-time series record there.... 0-0

Reactions: aik
I agree with you. There distinct differences and it is not a perfect comparison. However, I think it is about the closest comparison of the CU and CSU series that exists.

Nik has said it repeatedly - Marshall and West Virginia.

Nik has said it repeatedly - Marshall and West Virginia.

That's just not accurate. Marshall and West Virginia have played a grand total of 12 times and Marshall only moved from Division 1-AA in 1997. It completely ignores the overall history of the CSU-CU series. Further, the overall university profiles of Marshall and CSU are not even close. There is simply no comparison.

Nik - how can you get upset with me for failing to make the CU-Arkansas comparison last week and then turn around compare CSU to Marshall? Come one man!!

Last edited:
Back