What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Another Entry in the Jameis Winston Saga

We'll see if Kesler keeps the tradition alive of USC quarterbacks who wish they left earlier. Lots of coaches who prefer the traditional polished pocket passes might have drafted him early.

Jameis apparently knocked the interviews/playbook study/football IQ test portions of the combine out of the park. Believe he is going to be a fantastic NFL QB, if he can keep himself out of the newspapers for off the field problems

There is also the notion that his shoulder's long term health is in serious jeopardy. Some people have compared his shoulder's current health to that of a 4-5 year veteran pitcher in the majors. I doubt it's going to scare too many teams off, but it is now being viewed as a much bigger deal than people originally thought.

If I were an NFL GM, and I were faced with the idea of choosing between the two, I'd pick Mariotta. He reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson. Used properly, he could be a very dangerous quarterback in the NFL.

If I were an NFL GM, and I were faced with the idea of choosing between the two, I'd pick Mariotta. He reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson. Used properly, he could be a very dangerous quarterback in the NFL.

In the post Ray Rice era, you're 1 significant slip up away from having to cut ties with JW. I don't know if Roethlisberger would have survived 2nd rape accusations if it had occurred in 2015. Violence against women is a REALLY hot topic right now. Women are going to come gunning for him. Parts of the media are going to come gunning for him. Jameis is a big risk.

I agree with the huge majority who think that Winston and Mariotta are well ahead of the pack but could also see GMs having significant doubt about either one or both.

It would not shock me in the least to see Grayson be ahead of one of the other two on certain teams draft boards. When you look at a guy who performed well in a pro style offense with limited support it would be easy for a GM to like him. Add the questionable size of Mariotta, questionable character of Winston, and the limited experience each has in a pure pro offense though Winston has played in a much closer offense, and a team who needs immediate help at QB might just look to Ft. Collins.

Grayson picked a very good year to come out as a QB.

I still think that considering the state of the NFL Winston and Marriota both go in the top 10 but I would place the likelyhood of one or both being a major bust pretty high. They won't have the kinds of teams around them that will let them develop successfully.

Down the road somebody is going to look at this draft and say that a team made a mistake drafting one of the top two and use the success of a guy drafted later to support the argument. What they will ignore is that the guy drafted later fell into a much more favorable situation.

I agree with the huge majority who think that Winston and Mariotta are well ahead of the pack but could also see GMs having significant doubt about either one or both.

It would not shock me in the least to see Grayson be ahead of one of the other two on certain teams draft boards. When you look at a guy who performed well in a pro style offense with limited support it would be easy for a GM to like him. Add the questionable size of Mariotta, questionable character of Winston, and the limited experience each has in a pure pro offense though Winston has played in a much closer offense, and a team who needs immediate help at QB might just look to Ft. Collins.

Grayson picked a very good year to come out as a QB.

I still think that considering the state of the NFL Winston and Marriota both go in the top 10 but I would place the likelyhood of one or both being a major bust pretty high. They won't have the kinds of teams around them that will let them develop successfully.

Down the road somebody is going to look at this draft and say that a team made a mistake drafting one of the top two and use the success of a guy drafted later to support the argument. What they will ignore is that the guy drafted later fell into a much more favorable situation.

Isn't Mariota 6'4"?

6'3" 3/4 and 222 lbs were his measurements at the combine. 4.52 in the 40. They said he gained a little weight and it affected his speed, as he was previously clocked in the 4.4s. However, most agree the added size and decreased speed will only serve him better.

With the draft and especially QBs being a crapshoot, I'd role the dice on MM before JW. Can't teach the physical part that Mariota has, but hard work, the right coaching staff and mentoring can teach him the mental side of the pro game that he may lack from spending 4 years at Oregon.

Isn't Mariota 6'4"?

A lot of it is style of play but he measures bigger than he plays. If you look at the superimposed combine films of their 40's Marriota is clearly way quicker and faster but Winston looks bigger and stronger. Even with his speed Mariota looks like a guy who put on weight for the combine but isn't naturally that big.

It certainly isn't the factor that is was a few years ago now that guys who are smaller than both like Wilson are winning but if a GM is looking for a reason not to draft Mariota they could use size as an excuse.

Still far and away the biggest question about him will be can he line up behind center and make the mental plays needed in an NFL offense. Unless Chip Kelly drafts him he will be doing a lot of things he didn't in college.

Can he, we don't know. He's a smart guy who works hard and has a ton of talent so he certainly has a chance but there aren't any Andrew Lucks in this years draft.

A lot of it is style of play but he measures bigger than he plays. If you look at the superimposed combine films of their 40's Marriota is clearly way quicker and faster but Winston looks bigger and stronger. Even with his speed Mariota looks like a guy who put on weight for the combine but isn't naturally that big.

It certainly isn't the factor that is was a few years ago now that guys who are smaller than both like Wilson are winning but if a GM is looking for a reason not to draft Mariota they could use size as an excuse.

Still far and away the biggest question about him will be can he line up behind center and make the mental plays needed in an NFL offense. Unless Chip Kelly drafts him he will be doing a lot of things he didn't in college.

Can he, we don't know. He's a smart guy who works hard and has a ton of talent so he certainly has a chance but there aren't any Andrew Lucks in this years draft.

I'm just gonna say it. You're talking out of your ass here.

Measures bigger than he plays? C'mon!

[tweet]583016624455860224[/tweet]

Go left.... WAAAAAYYYY Left...

maxresdefault.jpg

Back