What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Another Question(s) for the former members of the football team

Highflyer

Club Member
Club Member
I bring this up because I recently talked with a friend of mine who played at CU and had a decent NFL career about the last time he was in Boulder. He told me "When I left for the NFL." I don't feel welcome up there and I don't really know anyone." I was so sad to hear this. I know not everyone can go home so to speak. He was a Neu recruit and did not like the coaching change to Barnett, which I inferred that the issue was with Barnett more so than the school. Any here's my question(s) to the former Buffs.

1. When was the last time you were in Boulder?
2. Were you welcomed or did the Football staff/AD know that you were in town?
3. Do you have any relationship with anyone on staff within the AD and/or football staff?

In an idealistic world the current staff and AD would welcome and reach out to former Buffs as donors and as a part of the team history.

By the way, I totally understand if none of the former players care to respond in this public of a setting. More of my curiosity than anything.

I work with a former player that walked on under Neu, but when Barnett came on, he quit because he said Barnett treated the walk on's like ****. He said he loved Neu though.

1. When was the last time you were in boulder?
2. Were you welcomed or did the football staff/ad know that you were in town?
3. Do you have any relationship with anyone on staff within the ad and/or football staff?

1. 2001
2. No
3. No

3. Do you have any relationship with anyone on staff within the AD and/or football staff?

In an idealistic world the current staff and AD would welcome and reach out to former Buffs as donors and as a part of the team history.

1. Spring 2007

2. I was welcomed by the staff and the AD, also spent some time with Dave Plati, always good to see him. Went to C club events before the spring game, a dinner and a breakfast, large number of older alums, but also a good accounting of the late 80s early 90s guys that I played with. Coach Brown and Coach Cabral were coaches when I was there and it was good to see Darien coaching too.

3. There are still a few folks in the department that I can say know me by name, but there has been a lot of change in 20 years. Still, a warm reception at C-Club events.

It may be different for the Neu guys. I don't know.

I've heard a simmilar complaint from the Gator players who played for Charlie Pell in the early 80s. They were some great teams, but went on probation so they get the shaft at UF events when it comes to recognition.

Fall of '08. Kidding. I'm not a former player. They didn't have football back then.

But I thought Hawkins, when he first arrived, tried to really reach out to all the former players. Is that not true?

Fall of '08. Kidding. I'm not a former player. They didn't have football back then.

But I thought Hawkins, when he first arrived, tried to really reach out to all the former players. Is that not true?

Translation of dbt speak.....

He visited in 1908

I bring this up because I recently talked with a friend of mine who played at CU and had a decent NFL career about the last time he was in Boulder. He told me "When I left for the NFL." I don't feel welcome up there and I don't really know anyone." I was so sad to hear this. I know not everyone can go home so to speak. He was a Neu recruit and did not like the coaching change to Barnett, which I inferred that the issue was with Barnett more so than the school. Any here's my question(s) to the former Buffs.

This is a very legitimate question. I am definitely not a former player but I am good friends with a couple and have had the opportunity to speak to a number of former players.

From what I have been told there were definitely issues regarding the relationships between former players and the Athletic Department, School and Coaches. My impression was that it was really an issue under Barnett. There was definitely no effort to reach out to former players, make them feel welcome, etc. Now, were these Neuweasel's guys that liked him and were bitter about the change, you can be the judge of that.

When Hawkins took over, one of the first initiatives was to embrace the past: Coach Mac, Coach Crowder, former players. However, there is a still a contingent of jaded players that felt shunned by the AD and university. Despite Hawkins and Bohn's best efforts the relationship has not necessarily improved because Hawkins is part of the problem. Many of these ex-players were disappointed that Hawkins was hired and they did not go with a "CU guy". I also believe there are similar feelings with some Coach Mac guys regarding the Slick Rick hire. There was a contingent that wanted Simmons.

I know there has been a concerted effort to improve these relationships and to make ex-players feel special. They have a legitimate gripe but some ex-players feel like CU “owes” them something and I think some of those expectations are unrealistic.

That is my impression, for what it is worth…

Last edited:
I realize these guys are former players and should be given some special treatment...but it looks like their pretty much asking for permission to be included in the program. Can't they just show up to games or practice like everyone else?

I don't know what other schools do, but I do know that at CU, they have a freaking huge tailgate prior to every home game that is just for members of the Alumni C Club. I don't think there's any charge for going, and you can bring your whole family. A certain person that is known to both FlaBuff and myself attends that tailgate at least 3-4 times a year and *might* show up at our tailgate just to say hi. I feel so jilted. :lol:

I guess my point is that I know the AD doesn't just cut these folks loose after their playing days are over. I know an effort is being made. I just don't know how it compares to other schools.

The guys I know personally were Neu recruits and many played for Neu and GB. I'm getting the feeling that this group is the one that feels little to no connection to the University. I get that, their coach is basically a pariah in Boulder and except for Cabral there is no direct ties to the program. I know that Bohn and Hawk have tried to reach out to all the former players, and I'm thinking for some maybe it's just not something they are actively trying to be part of as well.

Thinking back, I remember people on here getting upset about Hannibal Navies mentioning his HS when getting introduced on MNF or Sunday night football. Reading between the lines this makes more sense to me. (And no Hannibal is not who I've talked to)

Anyway, thanks for indulging me fellas.

The guys I know personally were Neu recruits and many played for Neu and GB. I'm getting the feeling that this group is the one that feels little to no connection to the University. I get that, their coach is basically a pariah in Boulder and except for Cabral there is no direct ties to the program. I know that Bohn and Hawk have tried to reach out to all the former players, and I'm thinking for some maybe it's just not something they are actively trying to be part of as well.

Thinking back, I remember people on here getting upset about Hannibal Navies mentioning his HS when getting introduced on MNF or Sunday night football. Reading between the lines this makes more sense to me. (And no Hannibal is not who I've talked to)

Anyway, thanks for indulging me fellas.
Sorry, but that makes them sound sort of petty, IMO. So what, are they not going to embrace their former school until Hawkins is gone and we hire one of "their" guys?

A certain person that is known to both FlaBuff and myself attends that tailgate at least 3-4 times a year and *might* show up at our tailgate just to say hi. I feel so jilted. :lol:

Big OL/DL from Longmont? If so, he's awesome. One of my college rommates played with him in high school.

Sorry, but that makes them sound sort of petty, IMO. So what, are they not going to embrace their former school until Hawkins is gone and we hire one of "their" guys?

No, I don't think it is necessarily because of Hawk but for a handful of years, they were not a part of the program and now, 7+ years after they last played
they don't have a direct connection to the program. I get that. And to some it may just not be important to them to be a part of the program and University. And yes, some may just not like Hawk and Bohn.

Big OL/DL from Longmont? If so, he's awesome. One of my college rommates played with him in high school.

No. You'd laugh if you were to find out who it was. It's not necessarily a football player. They let ANYbody who lettered at CU into this thing. Think about it for a while.

I think another important question is if the player attempted to get involved with the program and what happened. I don't think the responsibility should fall entirely on the AD

No. You'd laugh if you were to find out who it was. It's not necessarily a football player. They let ANYbody who lettered at CU into this thing. Think about it for a while.

Dave Logan?

This is a very legitimate question. I am definitely not a former player but I am good friends with a couple and have had the opportunity to speak to a number of former players.

From what I have been told there were definitely issues regarding the relationships between former players and the Athletic Department, School and Coaches. My impression was that it was really an issue under Barnett. There was definitely no effort to reach out to former players, make them feel welcome, etc. Now, were these Neuweasel's guys that liked him and were bitter about the change, you can be the judge of that.

When Hawkins took over, one of the first initiatives was to embrace the past: Coach Mac, Coach Crowder, former players. However, there is a still a contingent of jaded players that felt shunned by the AD and university. Despite Hawkins and Bohn's best efforts the relationship has not necessarily improved because Hawkins is part of the problem. Many of these ex-players were disappointed that Hawkins was hired and they did not go with a "CU guy". I also believe there are similar feelings with some Coach Mac guys regarding the Slick Rick hire. There was a contingent that wanted Simmons.

I know there has been a concerted effort to improve these relationships and to make ex-players feel special. They have a legitimate gripe but some ex-players feel like CU “owes” them something and I think some of those expectations are unrealistic.

That is my impression, for what it is worth…

You say this is a problem with Hawkins? Really? It would seem more a problem with the ex-players who thought they should have gone with a "CU Guy" and have yet to attempt to embrace the current staff/AD. Everything I have heard is that Hawkins is about embracing the past. There seems to be to be more former players invovled in program now that anytime in recent history before Hawkins.

I heard many complaints when Barnett was here about people/players from the past not feeling welcome at all. Hawkins changed that by many accounts thus the problem is not with him. My dad is a former player from the late 50's and he has felt much more welcome under Hawkins than previous regimes.

So since the marching band was presented an honorary letter a couple years ago, does that mean I can come too?

1. I went to the spring game in '04 maybe.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

That Spring Game is the only time I've been in Boulder since my last year of school. I was welcomed and got to talk to Coach Cabral and Coach Brown. I also keep in contact with Plati who is a great guy. I also give to the "C" Club every year. I can't say that there has been a real push to get the former players involved with the program until Dan Hawkins was hired. I think he sees the benefit of establishing some institutional memory especially when seeking some continuity of tradition.

As far as being "owed" anything. I got a great education, started a couple of years for a football team that finished in the top-5 in the country and have great memories and friendships. They don't owe me a thing. I'll always be a Buff.

Last edited:
I was a walk-on when Eddie Crowder was Head Coach. I live 1000 miles from Boulder and have gotten to a practice just about every August for quite a few years. The people who work in the Dal Ward Center are very nice and they warm up even more when they learn you are a former player. I was a scrub varsity reserve and I don't have a very well-known name around the program. That is fine with me. I have my memories and I was very fortunate to have the experience.

I wasn't in touch with Eddie for quite a while and then we were reunited about 8 or 9 years ago. I stayed in touch with Eddie through email and the phone and would usually have lunch with him at the Harvest House, or at least see him every summer until last summer when he became ill and then passed away.

Back when Barnett was coach you had to get yourself on the so-called approved list to attend practice as they would check you with the list at the gate. I never really disliked Barnett. However, it seemed like he didn't care to present any warmth toward people and that is the reason I never liked him a lot either. He seemed paranoid and cold. It's too bad, because I believe he is a decent person on the inside. He is an enigma.

I haven't spent any time with Hawkins, but he was very nice during a brief encounter with him last August while I was wandering around the Dal Ward Center. My wife told me he also stopped to chat a moment with her in a different part of the building. Hawkins definitely exudes a pleasant personality.

I miss Eddie. We discussed many things about the program and university. He was my primary connection to the program. I will also mention Dave Plati as someone who makes himself available for questions about the program and will help in any way that he can.

I will most likely get to a practice again this coming August.

You say this is a problem with Hawkins? Really? It would seem more a problem with the ex-players who thought they should have gone with a "CU Guy" and have yet to attempt to embrace the current staff/AD. Everything I have heard is that Hawkins is about embracing the past. There seems to be to be more former players invovled in program now that anytime in recent history before Hawkins.

No. I said Hawkins has embraced the past, however since Hawkins is not a "CU Guy", there is a certain contingent of players that have not come back despite Hawk's efforts.

Definitely not an OL/DL from Longmont...

sacky quote:

tread lightly Sackster...don't go digging up old stories...:wow:

Definitely not an OL/DL from Longmont...

sacky quote:

tread lightly Sackster...don't go digging up old stories...:wow:

que?

Back