1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another sign that CU basketball has arrived. (like we needed one)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by sackman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The GA section is always full at least 30 minutes prior to tipoff. That means people are showing up early to make sure they get a seat. It's crazy to look over there and see that section absolutely packed every game. It's never been like that before.

2. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

As an add - the reserved seats in the corners (no seat backs) are now filling up - each of the last two games ticket holders have had to ask people to clear their seats. I think that is great - I have no issue with GA folks coming down as long as they leave when asked - they are going to find out that finding a GA seat after they get bounced is tougher and tougher though.

3. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

i sat in GA for the kansas and oregon games. its way more fun, and good luck apparently.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

We will arrive when the grey hairs start showing up or lose their seats cause its too expensive for them to keep them and not show up.

5. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I remember when the only time anyone sat there was against KU... and those were Jayhawk fans. Glad to see how much things have changed. The students currently at CU, I imagine have no idea what it used to be like.

6. Darth Snow

they barely have an idea of what its like now, given their attendance this season.

7. sackman

I agree. But a lot of these "grey hairs" have had tickets for decades. They are used to showing up for 5-6 games a year and calling it good.

Another thing - I suppose I'm one of the grey hairs now. dammit.

8. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

It's still day and night compared to 10 years ago. Yes, I agree the crowds were a bit disappointing earlier this season.

9. Darth Snow

and you show up. We need a new generation of grey hairs to take over.

Students have shown up for one game. one. for a top 15 team. and they bitched about getting tickets to that game.

And yes, I know a few more showed up for that Oregon game. Still only filled a fraction of the space allotted to them.

10. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I hope you're not talking about these superfan ladies (eighty-nine-year-old twins, Betty Fitzgerald Hoover and Peggy Fitzgerald Coppom)! They get lifetime passes in my book.

[​IMG]

11. Darth Snow

obviously not. 1) they show up. 2) exceptions to my broad general rules will be made when I become benevolent dictator.

12. sackman

Give the students a break. Up until now, they've either been deep in finals or on break. Even so, they showed up reasonably well against OSU and UO. They travelled up to CSU and were packed in like sardines for the KU game. Early season games are always a little tough for students.

To put this into perspective, when I was at CU, I remember a game against Valparaiso in November or December, 1989. There was no defined student section then. We sat (roughly) where the drummer for the band is located now. There might have been 2,000 people total at that game, and hardly any students at all. It's much, much different today.

13. Darth Snow

Yea. No. That's some bull**** unless finals started somewhere around Nov 2.

14. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

The only go to the games to get laid.

Heywood likes this.
  15. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

The twins are the best!

16. sackman

You're bitter today.

17. Darth Snow

I'm delaying working on something I was told I wasn't going to work on but then got told I have to work on it. :lol:

18. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Even less at many of the OOC games I attended in Ricardo Patton era. My sophomore year in 2006 when we made the NIT and hosted a game trying to convince Roby to stay(which he did and probably regretted), they drew less than 2000 to that game.

19. alec10burks

alec10burks Member

The students will show up now that conference play is ramping up. Far less concentration of games (unlike beginning of season) and marquee matchups.

20. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I have been to men's game at the keg with less than 1,000 people in attendance. I believe I walked down and sat 1st row at midcourt. Probably in 2003 or 2004. We have come a long way in 10 years.

21. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

I was there for that game too - it was vs. Old Dominion and we got blasted by them - the team looked completely disinterested and unmotivated to play....

22. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I remember quite a few games like that. THey used to give free pizzas to students, and we usually went to games (Esp OOC) just for that.

23. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Another sign: AB'ers arguing over how full the Student Section is for games over holiday break.

24. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I bet you had a few beers though

25. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I lived in Kitt, doubt many of the people who lived there had any idea when the basketball games were going on and it was right outside their dorms.

26. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

It was disappointing how we finished when a Tourney bid at one point seemed within reach, it was the middle of the end of Ricardo Patton that night. ODU clearly had more to play for that night. I loved in 2011 that despite missing the Tourney, they carried that chip on their shoulder.

27. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yep and Qdoba. Also, I have a ton of shirts from giveaways at games. A good portion of my wardrobe. I think I made back my $20 it cost for season tickets because I would've spent much more on CU shirts at the bookstore or elsewhere otherwise.

28. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Holy flashback. Loved drinking beers and watching games. Even fat tire was drinkable

29. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I lived in Kitt and attended more finals in the CEC than games. I even had players on my dorm floor and didn't know games were going on at the time.

30. JPinCO

JPinCO VP of Quantified Self Club Member

Want to see another positive sign? Leeds is throwing its own basketball tailgates for a couple of games. Just got the email invite today - the football pregame events are really nice, so I'm psyched for this.
    ScreenShot406.jpg