What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anthony Wright WR Article

I'm glad Wright is finally healthy, we can use his talent. My worry is this - he's moved to wr as a stop-gap move this year and loses all those reps at db. After this season, we lose 2 for sure, maybe 3 (depending on how well Jimmy Smith plays) cornerbacks. Next year, who are the starting corners, and how thin will the depth be at cb/db? Additionally, barring suspensions, academics, injuries, etc., the Buffs will have Simmons, Simas, Clemons, Jefferson, Ussery, and Darden, at a minimum, at wide-out next year.

The long term effects of this move have me a bit concerned.

Gotta win now and therefore his move makes sense right now.

We still have Jalil Brown and possibly Jimmy Smith to start next year. Behind them will be Vigo and Deji. If we need Wright at CB, he can always be moved back after the season and have the entire spring/summer to get back into things.

The thing is is Simmons, Simas, Clemmons, Jefferson, Ussery and Darden are all unproven at this point. And they will be until we see them on the field in a Buff uniform. Wright could end up being the best of all of them. If he gives us another deep threat and is already making plays, then my only regret is we didn't make this move sooner.

They will also have mcknight and possibly celestine also.

Good point, Syko. I have no clue why I keep thinking Scotty is a senior :confused:. I kinda omitted Celestine since he has such an uphill battle ahead of him - but I'm rooting for him as an individual and as a player.

Gotta win now and therefore his move makes sense right now.

We still have Jalil Brown and possibly Jimmy Smith to start next year. Behind them will be Vigo and Deji. If we need Wright at CB, he can always be moved back after the season and have the entire spring/summer to get back into things.

The thing is is Simmons, Simas, Clemmons, Jefferson, Ussery and Darden are all unproven at this point. And they will be until we see them on the field in a Buff uniform. Wright could end up being the best of all of them. If he gives us another deep threat and is already making plays, then my only regret is we didn't make this move sooner.

I get the part of "win" now. And yes, the wr's you mentioned will be largely untested - except Simas and Simmons. Add McKnight to that mix and you basically have your top 3 wr's, and Clemons, #4 on paper, may be the best of the bunch. And one other thing to consider - one of the true frosh wr's will see some amount of PT this year (prolly Jefferson, but I wouldn't count out Ussery just yet).

However, in our conference, there's a huge premium on db's with coverage skills. If JSmith leaves early (a possibility), we become very thin in terms of experience and proven quality at a critical position (in proven, I mean that I hope some of the backups absolutely shine this year, and prove me wrong). The "tested" number of wr's will outnumber the "tested" number of db's next year, if Wright is moved.

JMHO

I'm with reddirt on this one. I suppose this just means they really like what they see in some of the young DBs.

It also frightens me since in his first practice as a WR he beat a bunch of the DBs for long TDs. Then again that was probably against 3rd stringers.

I'm with reddirt on this one. I suppose this just means they really like what they see in some of the young DBs.

It also frightens me since in his first practice as a WR he beat a bunch of the DBs for long TDs. Then again that was probably against 3rd stringers.

Yeah, I really hope you're right about the "3rd stringers". It'd be kinda scary if he was burning the 1st teamers.

Yeah, I really hope you're right about the "3rd stringers". It'd be kinda scary if he was burning the 1st teamers.

I agree but couldn't we take the side that he knows how all the DBs play. And that is why he was able to beat them. Usually if oyu think like your opponent then you have a huge advantage. It also seems like he has the physical tools to be a WR. He has size and he must have some speed if he was a DB.

On hte other hand it could be a very scary sign.

Even if Wright was beating 1st teamers, I'm not worried. I've seen what Burney and Chap can do in games, as well as Jimmy and Jalil to a lesser extent. If Wright is beating any of those guys in practice, it just means he can ball because those guys are players.

Even if Wright was beating 1st teamers, I'm not worried. I've seen what Burney and Chap can do in games, as well as Jimmy and Jalil to a lesser extent. If Wright is beating any of those guys in practice, it just means he can ball because those guys are players.
:yeahthat:

Back