What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Any one else losing the passion?

I've lost passion for this season. I'm sure I can get it back next season considering I somehow mustered up the passion for this season to begin with. A new coach will do a lot towards getting me rejuvenated towards CU football.

:yeahthat:

I knew something was very, very wrong when I'm sitting there Saturday watching CU get dismantled by OU, looking totally inept and really humiliating themselves on national TV, and I wasn't even angry. Never got pissed at a bad play, just watched it unfold. That's not normal. But with Dumb****ins gone and a new coach in place next year, I completely expect the juices to be flowing again...

This year? Definitely a little bit. But once a new coach comes in, recruiting is in place, spring ball rolls around & there's a new season to look forward to, I'll be back to drinking the Buff koolaid.

That said, I'm still looking forward to finishing the year in Folsom vs. Iowa State & K-State. The passion towards whether we win or not is definitely less, but enjoying tailgating, being in Boulder & sitting around my friends & family in Folsom is still worth the price of admission - even if the product on the field is not.

I feel alot like that.

agreed... saturday I couldn't stop watching but it was painful... the comment from Belotti in reply to a the 'can the buffs get back to national contention' was just sad... not only do we not have a coach, but were behind on facilities, etc.

Second time this has happened to me. First was when they threw Barnett under the bus. I quit following CU football completely. That's saying something because I started going to games so young, I don't remember if Fairbanks or Mac was the coach. Great coaches are not a dime a dozen. Figured the admin had completely given up on winning FB when they let GB go so why bother. No way were they going to get lucky again soon. Got rekindled when Hawkins (yes, that Hawkins) beat OU. Halftime of that game was the first time in 1-1/2 yrs that I cared about the Buffs. So I owe Danny that much.

I really hope they don't F this next hire up.

CU FB is teetering on the edge in more than one way. Bohn blows this hire, and it could be 8-10 years before they have a winning season. Not sure my attention span is that long.

Second time this has happened to me. First was when they threw Barnett under the bus. I quit following CU football completely. That's saying something because I started going to games so young, I don't remember if Fairbanks or Mac was the coach. Great coaches are not a dime a dozen. Figured the admin had completely given up on winning FB when they let GB go so why bother. No way were they going to get lucky again soon. Got rekindled when Hawkins (yes, that Hawkins) beat OU. Halftime of that game was the first time in 1-1/2 yrs that I cared about the Buffs. So I owe Danny that much.

I really hope they don't F this next hire up.

CU FB is teetering on the edge in more than one way. Bohn blows this hire, and it could be 8-10 years before they have a winning season. Not sure my attention span is that long.

We were'nt winning football games when GB was canned. It was time.

There are some pretty telling comments here. Some people like BlackNGold and myself go back in time. Back in time for me is the 1960s. One of my high school coaches was a former Buff, Jack Price. I started going to Colorado games and loved the Buffs. It was a long way around, but finally became a Buff in the fall of 1971 and graduated in 1972.
It has not been a lot of fun since the 2nd and 9 pass into the tornado force winds at Iowa State in 2005. I'm looking for a reason for Colorado football to be fun again. 27 November is just around the corner.
Finally, no one had better ever question our loyalty to the Colorado football program.

Please don't tell me the PTB have given you grief. If they have, my view of the bunker mentality I referenced in post #2 is even more reinforced. It astounds me how the AD expects fans and alums to pony up premium prices, with the suggestion that if you don't you are: a. disloyal, b. a bad fan, or c. some kind of reprobate. Then when the product is poor, they whine and attack the fans as if it is somehow our fault an incompetent staff is in place, or like it's our fault he's still here. I won't even address the sheer idiocy of the notion the fans are responsible for the lack of success.

Only way we can get facilities up to par and start getting the type of players we had is getting people believing in the program. Nobody believes in Hawk no matter what they say in the papers, radio, internet, or tv. Gotta get people in place that care about football and it being successful, from the top down.

The last 7 to 8 years have been really trying. I use to anxious await gameday ...I no longer look forward to gameday

^^^This. I used to love all college football. I grew up around The U and just got to watch some great football as a kid. Later when I went to CU it was because CU had great college football and being the early 90s I was privileged again to witness greatness.

Since then I've endured Rick Neuheisel, then flirted with Gary Barnett, then was killed by Dan Hawkins. I canceled ESPN Gameplan and I hardly watch or get excited about any college football anymore. I watch CU but I don't get fired up. I can't bring myself to sit through NU. The Pac 10 has had a ho hum effect on me. If the Buffs don't return to greatness I'm not going to be much of a college football fan anymore. At least the NFL is mostly competitive. About the only thing that gets me excited is seeing a little mid major like BSU kick the ever living crap out of Oklahoma. I like the underdog but thats all I got left.

I do not know what the agenda is at CU but if you think it is to win football games and be a major player in college football you are sadly mistaken. And it has little to do with donors stepping - donors have stepped up for years.

I know that Hawkins is going but I would not mind seeing Bohn go also...he is a hollow suit, IMO. CU has gone to style not substance across the board and it is unappealing to me - I hope there are more dramatic changes coming than just changing coaches...maybe that will rekindle my spirits.

I made the point somewhere else that the fall of CU goes all the way back to Gordon Gee. It should not surprise anyone that Ohio State, Gee's current school, has athletics as a centerpiece. Since Gee left CU Marolt departed and Albino brought us Neuheisel (he was a cheap hire) and Tharp. Barnett was a pretty good choice but created such a black eye that he and the ADs office lost all the power and freedom and he was lamely fired. Betsy got run over by that bus and Benson moved the Presidents office from Boulder to Denver. Enter Hawkins...

Back to my original point, it's not so much Bohn I believe, as it is a lack of will on the part of DiStefano and Benson to win again. Perhaps the guard on the Board of Regents needs to be changed to challenge these guys. I don't know. I guess empty suit is a good term. I think the leash is just too taught and the choke collar too tight.

Last edited:
Getting rid of Hawkins is only the first step. It's a necessary step, and one I'm sure is coming, but it's the beginning, not the end. Once we fire him, we have to hire somebody competent. Then the real work starts.

To add to Sacky's point in response to Kamel's post I would point out that; Nebraska fired their Athletic Director mid season indirectly over his Callahan hire and installed one of the cornerstones of NU Football, Dr. Tom. Who in turn, fired Callahan and hired Bo Pellini despite him only spending 1 season at NU as DC. The message from the administration was quite clear; football rules. Once Dr. Tom came back into the picture you could the rest of it play out from miles away.

I can't say the same about CU's administration.

Last edited:
I am right with all three of you. My patience has run out. There better be MAJOR changes in the next four weeks. Problem for me and probably all of you is that I will love the Buffs forever. I can't just rip them out of my very being. However, I am sick of the heartache and excuses.

My feelings as well

This thread needs a soundtrack....
[video=youtube;zCMy6kq5ZA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCMy6kq5ZA0&ob=av2e[/video]

This may be a pipe dream completely void of any basis in reality, but I am of the hope that this recent slump has opened the eyes for people like DiStephano and Benson. Contributions to the CU foundation are down, applications for admission to the school are down, athletic department revenues are down, too. Was it worth it to keep this jackass around for another year? How far back did this set us? The most common question asked of candidates for Regent is "Will you fire Hawkins?" This is not what anybody wants, certainly not those guys. If the rumors are true, and Bohn has worked out a deal to significantly increase athletic department funding as a result of this gross miscalculation, then there is still hope. I really hope we're about to start digging ourselves out of this enormous pit that we've dug for ourselves. What else can I do? I can't switch allegiances, and pro football puts me to sleep.

What else can I do? I can't switch allegiances, and pro football puts me to sleep.

To those of you who can simply "turn it off"... that is an indictment of your fandom. If you love a team, there is no running away. We suffer until its over. Let's just hope that its almost over.

I call BS - while the passion is waning now for all of us, we would not be here, on an Internet BBS, discussing BUFF football without some passion, how ever small

I have been critical of Bohn for this lately, but many of you have struck me down. Sure, he helped us find our way into the Pac 10, but Hawkins (whether or not he has the authority to fire him) is on him, especially the extension.

If we have dreams of scaling the mountaintop again in football, do you really think Bohn will get this AD there? He seems average at best.

I would just like to add a "**** Mike Bohn" as this has all happened under his watch.

To those of you who can simply "turn it off"... that is an indictment of your fandom. If you love a team, there is no running away. We suffer until its over. Let's just hope that its almost over.

Disagree. Nobody is less of a fan if they choose to do something else on Saturdays instead of watching a Hawk team. Everyone on this board will still be here next year with a new coach. And if he sucks too, we'll still be here for the next coach.

I would just like to add a "**** Mike Bohn" as this has all happened under his watch.

Strongly disagree. As hard as it is to think, we would be in a even worse situation right now with Dickless Tharpe. Being an AD is a lot more than hiring coaches. Teams strike out and Dan Hawkins was one of the hottest things in college football when we were in our last search. Hell, Oklahoma went through 4 coaches before they were back to being themselves again.

Bohn has done a lot for this athletic department. He has a chance to redeem himself with this next hire.

I knew something was very, very wrong when I'm sitting there Saturday watching CU get dismantled by OU, looking totally inept and really humiliating themselves on national TV, and I wasn't even angry. Never got pissed at a bad play, just watched it unfold. That's not normal. But with Dumb****ins gone and a new coach in place next year, I completely expect the juices to be flowing again...

same here man. as my buddy and i were driving to the bar to watch the game i looked over and said "i'm not looking forward to this, why in the hell are we doing this?" i was dreading watching a CU game, whatinthe****.

I am very surprised to see so many others having the same issues and yes the fans on this board are more invested than the average fan so if they are admitting a lost of passion then CU has a problem. I still love the Buffs you have to wonder how much emotion to invest in a program that does not respect itself.

Did not say it was gone, but it certainly has changed. A new coach and new conference will help and I am sure as hell going to be stoked to see the new era start next year. Just tired right now. Tired of losing. Tired of being uncompetitive. Tired of being a laughing stock of college football. Tired of bad coaching....and on and on. Just tired.

I call BS - while the passion is waning now for all of us, we would not be here, on an Internet BBS, discussing BUFF football without some passion, how ever small

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm here for the burritos...

Above, see below...

I'm no quitter of CU or CU Football. But I am pretty tired.

Last edited:
I have been critical of Bohn for this lately, but many of you have struck me down. Sure, he helped us find our way into the Pac 10, but Hawkins (whether or not he has the authority to fire him) is on him, especially the extension.

If we have dreams of scaling the mountaintop again in football, do you really think Bohn will get this AD there? He seems average at best.

Bohn's easiest point of criticism has been his football coaching hires over the course of his career.

In the case of Dan Hawkins I believe, and I'm reading between the lines on this, that a lot of emphasis from above Bohn was placed on factors designed to distance CU from Gary Barnett with the Hawkins hire; cleaner recruiting, squeaky clean kids, difficult admissions, high graduation rate. In other words, no baggage. Just win enough to keep the alums quiet was the part where they grossly failed. CU is not likely to climb the mountain again until the admissions window becomes more flexible.

Disagree. Nobody is less of a fan if they choose to do something else on Saturdays instead of watching a Hawk team. Everyone on this board will still be here next year with a new coach. And if he sucks too, we'll still be here for the next coach.

All 25 of us who are being shrugged off. It's the same 25 people who post over and over and over.

I'm not there yet, but I'm close. I'm tired of walking around in embarrassment. At least there were times in the past where the local media hacks would rip CU, but would could turn-around and point to success. Now we get ripped and there is nothing to say. We are barely an afterthought now. If I wasn't on Allbuffs, I probably would have forgotten about the Buffs entirely.

This year I am far more interested in the Avs. I didn't even watch the OU game, not even to check the score. My favorite parts of going to the games is Sackygate, and without that I probably would only go to one game a year.

I've lost the passion. I definitely know I lost it part way through last season where it started to feel more like an obligation to go to the games. The routine of packing the SUV, getting to the lot 4 hours early, tailgating, heading into the stadium, having a postgame beer was all there, but it was really just going through the motions and I found myself lacking the excitement & anticipation of game day. This year has gotten worse for me.

I hope the coaching hire sparks something in me, and I hope that continues/builds during next season. I miss the passion I used to have before Dan & this team killed it.

As depressing as it's been since Talkins has proved to be a total fake. I tend to think about what other programs were like back in the Big 8 and again when it became the B12. So back in the day, if you were a ku, k-st, iowa st. okie st. mizzou, baylor fan or alum you were probably depressed 90% of the time with your schools football team, year in and year out. We will see this thing through just like the fairbanks days and the cream will eventually rise to the top. As a CU alum and in the immortal words of Sacky, I was here before them and I'll still be here after they leave!

Back