What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Any Word If Lynn Katoa will see the field this year??

I dont know if things have changed that much (I graduated in '96) but you seriously have to be functioning retard to not get at 2.0 at CU. Its not exactly a bastion of higher education...

I agree that CU is not a 'bastion' of education - but it is certainly more difficult then a many (a majority?) of other other schools. It is one of the tougher public institutions.

I agree that CU is not a 'bastion' of education - but it is certainly more difficult then a many (a majority?) of other other schools. It is one of the tougher public institutions.
:yeahthat: CU is considered, by Greene's book, as one of the Public Ivies.

I think CU is a top notch academic public school. Have some pride in your alma mater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

Last edited:
:yeahthat: CU is considered, by Greene's book, as one of the Public Ivies.

I think CU is a top notch academic public school. Have some pride in your alma mater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

CU actually comes in 34th out of 67 ranked public university according to US News and World Report. Even those of us with CU educations (thank you, Math Mods) can figure out that ain't too good. I am from the east coast and always got a kick out of how the in-staters viewed the school ("the harvard of the west") vs. the out of state kids ("great place to ski and party).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-top-public

CU just isnt a very good school. Compared to the rest of the Big12 (really, really, bad schools) it is Harvard (save for UT) but compared to the rest of the coutry it is decidedly middle-of-the road. Those are the facts.

It depends on who you want to believe, and what poll or list you want to use. There are thousands of higher learning institutions across the nation. CU is among the top schools, relatively.

CU actually comes in 34th out of 67 ranked public university according to US News and World Report. Even those of us with CU educations (thank you, Math Mods) can figure out that ain't too good. I am from the east coast and always got a kick out of how the in-staters viewed the school ("the harvard of the west") vs. the out of state kids ("great place to ski and party).

CU just isnt a very good school. Compared to the rest of the Big12 (really, really, bad schools) it is Harvard (save for UT) but compared to the rest of the coutry it is decidedly middle-of-the road. Those are the facts.

It's all subjective, and universities on the coasts, near population centers, will always do better in surveys like US News'. I have a relative who's a biology professor at Boston University with a PhD from Harvard. When she was looking for a doctoral program, CU told her that they were only taking candidates who "walk on water," so she ended up in Cambridge instead.

The bottom line is that an average student can graduate from any university, Harvard and Stanford included, if he chooses the right course of study and almost every university has at least one top notch discipline. Heck, I went to DU when it was half broke and the hotel and restaurant management school was world class and also really freaking demanding. (I majored in poli sci :smile2:)

So let me get this right, you joined this board or created a new logon to give us this information. You are truly magnanimous.

What motive would you have for coming out of nowhere to post this information?

Speaking for me, I appreciate your honesty and diligence to getting the 'truth out', but now you can go home.

... and speaking for the in-state crowd, thanks for the out of state tuition. We really don't give a damn how you view the school as long as you pay your out state tuition...

:moon:

Thank you for this information. I'll tell my kid (who is majoring in physics) and studying with a Nobel Prize winner at CU to withdraw asap. Better that he work at MickeyD's making fries than get a diploma from a place that YOU think isn't "very good."

:bounce:
Thanks also for the laugh of the day. Whoever you are. I'm sure we'd be impressed with your credentials. :lol:

But please, don't make any up on my account, it would ruin my day to realize that a Rhodes Scholar from (fill in the blank with whichever school you think would frighten and impress us the most) has nothing better to do than show up on AllBuffs and throw down a proper glove and challenge random posters to a duel of wits. :duel2:

"I never fight a duel of wits with an unarmed man."
~ Frank Fay, November 17, 1897 – September 25, 1961

Thank you for this information. I'll tell my kid (who is majoring in physics) and studying with a Nobel Prize winner at CU to withdraw asap. Better that he work at MickeyD's making fries than get a diploma from a place that YOU think isn't "very good."

:bounce:
Thanks also for the laugh of the day. Whoever you are. I'm sure we'd be impressed with your credentials. :lol:

But please, don't make any up on my account, it would ruin my day to realize that a Rhodes Scholar from (fill in the blank with whichever school you think would frighten and impress us the most) has nothing better to do than show up on AllBuffs and throw down a proper glove and challenge random posters to a duel of wits. :duel2:

"I never fight a duel of wits with an unarmed man."
~ Frank Fay, November 17, 1897 – September 25, 1961

Guess I hit a nerve. Sorry about that. For the record your kid is about 10x smater than I am; I would never deny that. I am just saying that for the most part you in-state folks have a very different view regarding the overall academic reputation of CU than the rest of us.

PS- pointing out obvious typing errors as a way to bolster your argument only makes you look silly. Then again, I did graduate from CU. :lol:

Look, I'm not going to rant about how CU is an elite school, or call it a public school Ivy. However, CU is a very good school. We have some groundbreaking research in the sciences and engineering. Our law school is solid (DU may cost more, but to those that correlate that to better quality are wrong...CU is ranked higher for what it's worth).

Are we the best academic school in the Big 12? No. But out of the Div I schools in the general area, we are the best academically in my opinion.

To the idiot that is keen on putting our school down academically, I highly dispute your notion that out of state kids think of CU as just a party school. I know plenty of kids that came to CU for the engineering or science programs. People I've met post-college have a high regard for CU. We're not Ivy or even approach many top academic universities, but we are still very good.

:eek:fftopic:

...I know I contributed to the aside, but I would like Katoa to see the field. Any updates would be appreciated. I hope he makes it.

Guess I hit a nerve. Sorry about that. For the record your kid is about 10x smater than I am; I would never deny that. I am just saying that for the most part you in-state folks have a very different view regarding the overall academic reputation of CU than the rest of us.

PS- pointing out obvious typing errors as a way to bolster your argument only makes you look silly. Then again, I did graduate from CU. :lol:

Well, lumping all posters into the same group with the same "view" of CU's academic reputation seems presumptious to me. I would wager there are many different opinions here, instate and otherwise.

Out of state students who paid a higher price for their education made a choice to come here. I respect that and I'm glad for it. I sure hope you think it was a good decision in your case. I think you sound a little resentful, I hope that's not true.

You can find a top-100 list or survey or magazine article or blog to bolster just about any position you want to have, on nearly any subject. You want to believe that CU is not a good institution, despite that it's your alma mater, go right ahead. Instead, I will be looking for articles to support my desired theory, that CU has above-average, even excellent programs in certain majors. Which we do.

We can disagree, if you wish. I'm just not that interested in letting some magazine reporter, with little first-hand knowledge, define my opinion of the University.

Sorry for pointing out the typo, but it was amusing under the circumstances. It happens to all of us at times. Makes one look like an idot, whether you created it or pointed it out, don't you agree? But I am weak and defenseless, and it was the best I could do.:smile2:

:eek:fftopic:

...I know I contributed to the aside, but I would like Katoa to see the field. Any updates would be appreciated. I hope he makes it.

I'm just going with Hawkins' last comments that there are ongoing issues, but they are being worked on, that support is available, and it's up to Katoa to get the job done.

Nobody sounds like they've given up on LK yet, and I'd sure like to see him succeed.

I am going to guess that someone came close to graduating but didn't actuallly make it all the way through. There were many reasons why people don't make it through college and when I worked with students at CU, I have found that math mods were a popular reason for folks to get on academic probation and then get booted out.

I am going to guess that someone came close to graduating but didn't actuallly make it all the way through.

That's one theory. I was thinking he DID graduate, but hasn't found a job, or was beat out by some Ivy Leaguer for the one he wanted. No, wait. Not an Ivy Leaguer, just someone from Michigan or maybe Cal Berkeley. Somewhere that he thinks is just an edge above CU, reputation-wise.

In that case, he's decided to blame CU's academic reputation rather than his own preparation, resume, work experience, interviewing skills and the general state of the economy, for the current unemployment status.

Just a theory, mind you.

I am going to guess that someone came close to graduating but didn't actuallly make it all the way through. There were many reasons why people don't make it through college and when I worked with students at CU, I have found that math mods were a popular reason for folks to get on academic probation and then get booted out.

Gotta love the internet... how should I respond to this? Should I write something completely childish like "I bet I make more money than you do!" Is that what you are looking for? The truth is I might make more or I might make less. I might make 10x as much but might be 10x unhappier (which is often the case). Who knows. All I can tell you is that:
- I was born, bred and raised in NYC. I currently reside in NYC
- I only applied to 2 schools: CU and the Univer. of Wisconsin-Madison
- I got into both and chose CU. UW was then and is now the better overall school. Thats not debatable.
- I was an english major and I graduated in 4 years with a 3.09 GPA. Not great, but I would have graduated with at least a 3.5 if I were a Comm or Soc major. That too is indisputable.
- I only took the math mods because I had to based on the math classes I took in high school. I am basically math illiterate and would probably have a hard time with math at a remedial/JUCO level school like CSU
- I dont regret for a second choosing CU over UW
- I would have the same exact level of success (or lack there-of :smile:) today had I attended the "better" school.
- I graduated in 1996

That being said, as long as CU keeps the admissions standards relatively low for folks like me there will always be a huge dichotomy between the smart in-state kids and the out-of-state'ers. For that reason alone CU will never be considered a truly elite university. (in the aggregate, not for things like physics or whatever)

isofar as it pertains to math mods, you have a point. i hear that cu has some easier programs of study to accommodate the ski students. i cannot say that i am displeased that they left for the slopes thursday evenings and did not return until monday night. at least the university got their out of state funds.

however, it is disingenious to blame the university for your own failure to take advantage of educational opportunities right under your nose. we have nobel prize winners and so much NASA grant money as to make your point overall, laughable.

The bottom line is that an average student can graduate from any university, Harvard and Stanford included, if he chooses the right course of study and almost every university has at least one top notch discipline.

so true.

Gotta love the internet... how should I respond to this? Should I write something completely childish like "I bet I make more money than you do!" Is that what you are looking for? The truth is I might make more or I might make less. I might make 10x as much but might be 10x unhappier (which is often the case). Who knows. All I can tell you is that:
- I was born, bred and raised in NYC. I currently reside in NYC
- I only applied to 2 schools: CU and the Univer. of Wisconsin-Madison
- I got into both and chose CU. UW was then and is now the better overall school. Thats not debatable.
- I was an english major and I graduated in 4 years with a 3.09 GPA. Not great, but I would have graduated with at least a 3.5 if I were a Comm or Soc major. That too is indisputable.
- I only took the math mods because I had to based on the math classes I took in high school. I am basically math illiterate and would probably have a hard time with math at a remedial/JUCO level school like CSU
- I dont regret for a second choosing CU over UW
- I would have the same exact level of success (or lack there-of :smile:) today had I attended the "better" school.
- I graduated in 1996

That being said, as long as CU keeps the admissions standards relatively low for folks like me there will always be a huge dichotomy between the smart in-state kids and the out-of-state'ers. For that reason alone CU will never be considered a truly elite university. (in the aggregate, not for things like physics or whatever)
troll. go away. Starting off on a CU board DISSING CU is not a way to make friends, it's a way to get attention. Now scram.

There is a difficulty among Colorado high school seniors in getting the limited number of slots available at CU. Supply and demand in a growing local population. CU enjoys a good academic reputation in Colorado, as it takes the "smart" in-state students whose families pay taxes here, and can enjoy the benefits of the in-state tuition. Hence the "in-state" reputation. The in-state students are also aware of the out-of-state kids perception.

(in the aggregate, not for things like physics or whatever)

it is because of the physics, applied math, and MCDB department that i can appreciate the acclaim that cu recieves in that regard. i chose to take advantage of one of the finest programs in the united states. it happened to be in my own backyard.

YOU chose english. those are some of the ridiculous fluff classes that we were forced to take to allow us a "well-rounded" education. being as you would have perished in the first semester of my frosh level of study, i will observe that your opinion of CU is probably not worth the paper you could wipe your rear with.

troll. go away. Starting off on a CU board DISSING CU is not a way to make friends, it's a way to get attention. Now scram.

Where did I "diss" CU? I just sait its reputation out of state is not what it is in-state. If that were indeed the case, i am sure USNAWR (the bellwether for rating universities) would not have CU ranked 37th out of 64 or whatever the number is.

Where did I "diss" CU? I just sait its reputation out of state is not what it is in-state. If that were indeed the case, i am sure USNAWR (the bellwether for rating universities) would not have CU ranked 37th out of 64 or whatever the number is.
:rolleyes:

Now go away.

i suppose your viewpoint is the unfortunate consequence of your field of study. namely, you have a tendency to believe everything that an "expert" puts in print.

had you taken research methods, you would realize the limitations with polls and samples as a definitive source of information.

it is because of the physics, applied math, and MCDB department that i can appreciate the acclaim that cu recieves in that regard. i chose to take advantage of one of the finest programs in the united states. it happened to be in my own backyard.

YOU chose english. those are some of the ridiculous fluff classes that we were forced to take to allow us a "well-rounded" education. being as you would have perished in the first semester of my frosh level of study, i will observe that your opinion of CU is probably not worth the paper you could wipe your rear with.

Thats the dumbest argument on here. My guess is the average english major would have a hard time with physics, math and science at any university, much less one as highly acclamimed as your beloved CU. Thats like saying "oh, you're a policeman are you? Well, you would never make it trading derivitives like me and my buddies at Goldman Sachs. You would get eaten alive"

Do you have any other seriously flawed analogies for me, or did they not teach you well at CU?

i suppose your viewpoint is the unfortunate consequence of your field of study. namely, you have a tendency to believe everything that an "expert" puts in print.

had you taken research methods, you would realize the limitations with polls and samples as a definitive source of information.

Sure. I buy that rationale. However my guss is that every high school sophmore/junior in America won't as he or she inevtisgates where they want to go to college. There is a reason why that issues is by far and away their biggest and costs more than a regular copy of the magazine.

shapeshifter, you have an issue with how CU is perceived IN-state vs. Out of State. Did you see the post about why CU has a reputation as being a good/great in-state institution? The requirements for in-state kids to get accepted into CU are much more strenuous than it is for out of state kids because there are less spots for the instate kids.

Also, did you sign up here strictly to debate CU academic reputation? This is a CU sports forum, first and foremost. Probably would suit you a little better to participate in those discussions as well.

Thats the dumbest argument on here. My guess is the average english major would have a hard time with physics, math and science at any university, much less one as highly acclamimed as your beloved CU. Thats like saying "oh, you're a policeman are you? Well, you would never make it trading derivitives like me and my buddies at Goldman Sachs. You would get eaten alive"

Do you have any other seriously flawed analogies for me, or did they not teach you well at CU?

what is seriously flawed is that you cannot seem to grasp the fact that there is a direct correlation between the fact that you probably couldn't find your own butt with two hands and the fact that you chose a sickenly easy course of study. you subsequently wrote off the entire cu experience as YOUR experience.

enter "experts" - who by their own admission (should you choose to look into it), do not measure every metric there is to a university but whose opinions support your personal bias. the result is a significantly laughable attempt to diss the university. you did not even appear intelligent in your attempt to support your hypothesis.

ADD: hf is spot on in the fact that this is first and foremost a sports forum.

Last edited:
shapeshifter, you have an issue with how CU is perceived IN-state vs. Out of State. Did you see the post about why CU has a reputation as being a good/great in-state institution? The requirements for in-state kids to get accepted into CU are much more strenuous than it is for out of state kids because there are less spots for the instate kids.

Also, did you sign up here strictly to debate CU academic reputation? This is a CU sports forum, first and foremost. Probably would suit you a little better to participate in those discussions as well.

Dude, I went there. When I needed to cheat, do you think I looked for another d-bag like myself from out of state? Of course not. I am not debating that at all. I agree 100%. I am just responding to getting slammed for saying you have to be mildly retarded to not get a 2.0 a CU.

Back