What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anyone catch the Barnett interview on CJ and Kreckman today?

Part of what most people see as "admin support" is really negotiated through conference alignments.

When we were a member of the Big 8 Conference, we were allowed partial-qualifiers through a program Mac had setup that actually worked out really well to graduate student athletes. Nebraska did the same thing.

When we joined the Big 12, that program was cut as part of the conference agreement to not allow those programs.

So, while it is easy to say that CU football under Big Mac and Gordon Gee had "full support" from the admin, it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison about what the current admin CAN support, even if they wanted to.

The bottom line is that our other Big 12 rivals, and now, our Pac-12 rivals all play under basically the same rules in that regard. There are other things that separate us, like the transfer of JuCo credits, lack of a P.E. degree path, etc. But as a fanbase we tend to mock schools like Okie State, K(Juco)-State, etc for their allowance of poor academic options just for athletes. So which do you want, you can't have both?

This is kind of funny to me, because a Nebraskan I know always brings up how it was them against the Big 12 and brings up an 11-1 vote on partial qualifiers every time.

i'd be willing to bet the admin support for athletics is higher now than when Eddie Crowder finished #3 in the nation.

see-what-you-did-there-14.jpg

This is kind of funny to me, because a Nebraskan I know always brings up how it was them against the Big 12 and brings up an 11-1 vote on partial qualifiers every time.

What is funny?

CU had a program, but voted to disband it when the Big 12 formed. Nebraska voted against. Both of the programs were disbanded due to the 11-1 vote.

Obviously, a segment of our fanbase still wishes that we had the program.

I think the NCAA kind of put the kabosh on the PE credit thing with their new rules.

What is funny?

CU had a program, but voted to disband it when the Big 12 formed. Nebraska voted against. Both of the programs were disbanded due to the 11-1 vote.

Obviously, a segment of our fanbase still wishes that we had the program.

Was that the Prop 48s? neb used that program to the fullest extent

I was at that ISU game. Talk about your total meltdown.

That was the beginning of the end! I remember it like it was yesterday. A lighting / tornado delay followed by Joel Klatt forgetting how to play QB because of the wind. It was like we were the only team on the field that had to deal with the wind. Then by some miracle we still had a chance until Klatt gets picked off on an awful throw for like a 70 yard return for TD. Ugh, typing that just made me ill. And who could forget Klatt's performance against Nebraska 2 weeks later at home. Boy, he really sucked swamp water. Ah the memories.

As far as Barney goes, I have said many times I would gladly take the seasons he put together for what has followed. 5 years of utter crap. I know we got drilled in the conference championship game 70-3 but hey, we were in the dam conference championship game AGAIN!!! and I recall that season beating Mizzou and Brad Smith 48-17 and completely dominating them. Now within a year of that we were being dismantled by lesser programs. I liked Barney and all the North Championships and don't get why more people don't give him credit. People say we were in decline, but Sweet Jesus, look where we are now. I would give my left leg for 7-5.

Oh well, water under the bridge.

That was the beginning of the end! I remember it like it was yesterday. A lighting / tornado delay followed by Joel Klatt forgetting how to play QB because of the wind. It was like we were the only team on the field that had to deal with the wind. Then by some miracle we still had a chance until Klatt gets picked off on an awful throw for like a 70 yard return for TD. Ugh, typing that just made me ill. And who could forget Klatt's performance against Nebraska 2 weeks later at home. Boy, he really sucked swamp water. Ah the memories.

As far as Barney goes, I have said many times I would gladly take the seasons he put together for what has followed. 5 years of utter crap. I know we got drilled in the conference championship game 70-3 but hey, we were in the dam conference championship game AGAIN!!! and I recall that season beating Mizzou and Brad Smith 48-17 and completely dominating them. Now within a year of that we were being dismantled by lesser programs. I liked Barney and all the North Championships and don't get why more people don't give him credit. People say we were in decline, but Sweet Jesus, look where we are now. I would give my left leg for 7-5.

Oh well, water under the bridge.
I think the recruiting restrictions were starting to catch up with GB. No coach could have been successful having to deal with that crap. Although, GB claims that he had a great class coming before he was fired. Including, I think, Jeremy Macklin.

Last edited:
I think GB rocked - other than 2 or maybe 3 games, kids played ^up^ and hard for him... had a knack of coaching most kids ^up^... should not have been fired. We would of had at least 1 or possibly 2 more conference titles and WOULD not have been as miserable as the last 6 years with him at the helm

I think GB rocked - other than 2 or maybe 3 games, kids played ^up^ and hard for him... had a knack of coaching most kids ^up^... should not have been fired. We would of had at least 1 or possibly 2 more conference titles and WOULD not have been as miserable as the last 6 years with him at the helm

Wow -- put the crack pipe away, please.

I think the recruiting restrictions were starting to catch up with GB. No coach could have been successful having to deal with that crap. Although, GB claims that he had a great class coming before he was fired. Including, I think, Jeremy Macklin.

GB has always had a certain way of looking at himself. I think he may own a magic mirror.

That was the beginning of the end! I remember it like it was yesterday. A lighting / tornado delay followed by Joel Klatt forgetting how to play QB because of the wind. It was like we were the only team on the field that had to deal with the wind. Then by some miracle we still had a chance until Klatt gets picked off on an awful throw for like a 70 yard return for TD.

I always thought that if Watson would've stuck with the screen pass we would've won that game.

Wow.

GB has always had a certain way of looking at himself. I think he may own a magic mirror.

Correct.

Well, GB was a far superior coach to Coach Care Bear. The recruiting was beginning to tail off at the end for GB. He was under the impression he could do it with smoke and mirrors, and I disagree there. The fact remians GB pre scandal recruitment was light years stronger than Hawk's. Hawk's success in '07 such as it was was built on a lot of GB era recruits rahter than his own lunchpail gang. The same argument can be made about GB's '01 successes, but he did litter the roster with a lot of talent he brought in to (Lucier, C. Brown, Hage et al.) Absent the scandal, GB would have, IMO, run a 7-9 win a year program. Maybe he would have occasionally risen up and challenged for the Conference title. Once the scandal hit, and the admin. including the newly minted AD Bon-Bon abandoned him to the wolves, it was only going one way...down, and a change had to be made......

The problem that Barnett had is that he was completely undercut by the politics and the lack of support from the administration, which started before the 'scandal' and got worse after. Had the 'scandal' been properly handled, Barnett would have never been put in the position he was put in, the ridiculous recruiting restrictions would have never been put in place, and we would have never heard of D2D.

But, it's also clear that someone quit in those last few games. I don't know if the coaches quit, the team quit, or everyone quit, but after the 100-6 combined score in GB's last two games here, there was no way he was going to keep his job.

Going forward, even though we see brighter days on the horizon with the Pac-12 $$$, CU will not be a consistent power in anything without some sort of commitment to athletics and the money sports in particular from the administration.

The problem that Barnett had is that he was completely undercut by the politics and the lack of support from the administration, which started before the 'scandal' and got worse after. Had the 'scandal' been properly handled, Barnett would have never been put in the position he was put in, the ridiculous recruiting restrictions would have never been put in place, and we would have never heard of D2D.

But, it's also clear that someone quit in those last few games. I don't know if the coaches quit, the team quit, or everyone quit, but after the 100-6 combined score in GB's last two games here, there was no way he was going to keep his job.

Going forward, even though we see brighter days on the horizon with the Pac-12 $$$, CU will not be a consistent power in anything without some sort of commitment to athletics and the money sports in particular from the administration.

Exactly WHAT commitment do you want?!?!

Do you want the coaches to receive more money?
Do you want the University to allocate additional parking space for football games?
Do you want better music to be played during time-outs at basketball games?
Do you want CU to offer additional majors which apply to african american football / basketball players?

Exactly WHAT commitment is it that everyone seems to want (but nobody is able to specifically identify!!?)

You had best say your prayers correctly when GB is around.

He had some good assistants for a while but any respect he had from his Northwestern turn around days his personality killed with most of the key players.

Well you would know better than I about the politics/personalities, but GB's teams were better prepared and played better than any team I saw D II put on the field. Ricky had the benefit of Mac's all-star roster when he showed up and so he was successful, heck I could of coached the '95 and '96 teams to winning seasons. Ricky's teams, as have all of them, got more sloppy and undisciplined as time went on. GB was, IMO, a better coach than either of the guys who bookended him...that's all I'm saying...he was far from perfect, believe me I cursed the TV more times than I could count while GB was HC....

Well you would know better than I about the politics/personalities, but GB's teams were better prepared and played better than any team I saw D II put on the field. Ricky had the benefit of Mac's all-star roster when he showed up and so he was successful, heck I could of coached the '95 and '96 teams to winning seasons. Ricky's teams, as have all of them, got more sloppy and undisciplined as time went on. GB was, IMO, a better coach than either of the guys who bookended him...that's all I'm saying...he was far from perfect, believe me I cursed the TV more times than I could count while GB was HC....

I miss GB as much as I miss GWB, better days for CU football as was for the USA but WTF?

Hang in there, these guys will get it done.

This aligns 100% with my view. If we would have hired GB after Mac left, this whole thing would look a lot different right now.

Do you want the University to allocate additional parking space for football games?
Do you want CU to offer additional majors which apply to african american football / basketball players?

Exactly WHAT commitment is it that everyone seems to want (but nobody is able to specifically identify!!?)

What I want:

I would like DiStephano and Benson to replace their talking points. Quit emphasizing a commitment to being competitive. The leadership should come out and say they are committed to ... drum roll please ... now say after me "winning the Pac12, getting to the rose bowl, and bring more football national championships back to Boulder."

Then back up this bold mission with a timetable and a roadmap. This roadmap should specify what alumni and boosters and the university need to do in order to achieve that goal.

I want a ketubah. That is the commitment that I want.

Back