What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Applying the "basketball model" to football

SuperD

Club Member
Club Member
Look I'm not going to pronounce doom and gloom over the new guy before he steps on campus if it ends up being Jones. But I do have some concerns about the lack of having a full rebuild on his resume, and this being a Hawk 2.0 situation in terms of his taking over a program that was already performing at a reasonably high level even if he did lose a ton of seniors.

However, we've been told repeatedly that they want follow the "basketball model" with this hire. The basketball model included investment in facilities + going out and getting an experienced coach who had history of performing a full program turnaround. When Boyle was hired he had several years of experience at big programs as an assistant, and had also demonstrate the ability to completely turn around a program at a smaller school. UNC was just about dead last in RPI when Boyle took over. When he left they just missed the tourney and the team he put together made it to the tourney the year after he left.

I'd argue if that is the model they want to follow then they should be looking more at a candidate like Mike McIntyre. Dude took over a program on the brink of dropping football and this year went 10-2 with their only losses to Stanford by 3 and Utah State, he beat Sonny Dykes La Tech and already demonstrated an ability to beat CSU. Is it a riskier hire, sure. But Cinnci and the current Big East is pushing it a bit in terms of "proven BCS coach" (yes I know we were all just clamoring to hire the Big East Champ's coach).

That said, if we're going the Jones route, I can at least take solace in the fact that Cinnci's AD's last hires were D'Antonio, Kelly, and Jones (likely we should be hiring him and let him make the pick), and the MAC has a history of producing successful coaches.

I'm not sure if Jones could really be compared to Hawkins. Hawkins was the special teams coach at BSU before he was named the head coach. Isn't it unusual for a special teams coach to be named the head coach? We know Hawkins was one heck of a talker...maybe he got the BSU gig as a result of that.

The coaches that have been discussed have more proven coaching resumes than Hawkins did. The question is which one of those coaches will have the energy to rebuild CU?

I agree with how you described the basketball model, SuperD. I'll expand it a bit. It fits both the Bzdelik and Bohn hires, btw.

1. Head Coach who performed an effective turn around.
2. Facilities commitment accompanying the coaching hire.
3. Reputation of HC for running a clean program.
4. Budget provided to hire an excellent staff of assistant coaches.
5. HC with ties to the state or at least the region.
6. HC who also has a background that includes being an assistant at a Power 6 conference program.

Obviously, #2 and #4 are not part of the coaching search so we need to focus on the other ones if we're being specific to which coach to hire.

I'm not sure there's anyone out there who is a perfect fit, so it probably comes down to which candidates are the best fits with this model.

DeRuyter may actually be the closest. Tough thing is that he's only had 1 year in his HC job and I think that is probably a bigger deal than being light in one of the other categories.

I wouldn't say that DeRuyter has rebuilt anything. Fresno St. has been a solid program for a long time, they had 1 bad year in 2011.

I couldn't agree more regarding MacIntyre. He and Anderson are the best candidates assuming we're limited to current HCs.

I wouldn't say that DeRuyter has rebuilt anything. Fresno St. has been a solid program for a long time, they had 1 bad year in 2011.

Yeah. It totally depends on how you look at the improvement this year. I'm not sold yet. Pat Hill stocked a lot of talent and was good for about 8 wins a season until 2011. In a couple years, we'll probably find out that we either dodged a bullet or misses an opportunity with DeRuyter. He'd be a tough call for Bohn to make based on his primary criteria.

Nik, I'm sure you have posted but I haven't seen -- who are the candidates that you like?

Yeah. It totally depends on how you look at the improvement this year. I'm not sold yet. Pat Hill stocked a lot of talent and was good for about 8 wins a season until 2011. In a couple years, we'll probably find out that we either dodged a bullet or misses an opportunity with DeRuyter. He'd be a tough call for Bohn to make based on his primary criteria.

Nik, I'm sure you have posted but I haven't seen -- who are the candidates that you like?

I wanted to see the Hail Mary to Charlie Strong. If that's now off the table, I'd make a run at Golden.

If we go to more likely candidates, I like the Triple D's. Doeren, Deruyter and Diaco.

I think those who support D-Root argue that the aTm defense improved dramatically under his tutelage. I understand that this does not equal a complete program turnaround, but he seemingly does have some track record for turning a defense around fairly quickly.

I really want a DC background coach...and then he can hire and "Release the Kracken! (Stitt)."
A OC background coach means Stitt would unlikely to come since he wants total control of an offense

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I honestly think we have zero chance at Strong or Golden. Strong will be coaching in Knoxville next year.

Back