What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are the Buffs Improving?

I've said all along that MM has stopped the bleeding and has us improving. But at the same time it's not at a high enough rate and is too little too late
And according to your signature and your comments through the years, he is not a real coach.

What is the basis for seeing more wins on the schedule next year? I look to next year and see:

1) best player on the team gone (Spruce)
2) major problems with both depth and quality on the OL
3) a three-way QB controversy
4) some depth at RB/WR but no clear All-conference types
5) ???? at linebacker and DL
6) questions about whether or not the HC will be retained (if he is indeed retained after this year).

What exactly about this spells turnaround? We could easily be worse next year than we are this year.

What is the basis for seeing more wins on the schedule next year? I look to next year and see:

6) questions about whether or not the HC will be retained (if he is indeed retained after this year).

What exactly about this spells turnaround? We could easily be worse next year than we are this year.
giphy.gif

Lots of seniors? That's all I got.

I see stagnation of ideas and talent. It's uncanny how the futility of a Sefo led offense inside the red zone transferred to Apsay. CU's offense is painful to watch when its first and goal.

The fallacy in logic by some on this board points to comparison of MacIntyre's Buffs versus the impossibly low bar set by Embree's teams. The Buffs showed a large jump from being undeniably among the rock bottom worst of D1 football to a middling team that is low by P5 standards, but competitive with mid-level conferences.

Using easily accessible statistical measures, it's easy to see the Buffs are no longer at the rock bottom of 120 teams, but more in that 60-80 range. CU's current roster of players and coaches would seemingly be more competitive in a Mountain West or ConfUSA than they are in the PAC or B1G or SEC.

The logic that we don't see discussed enough is how the 2015 Buffs stack up against the 2014 MacIntyre team. At the most basic level, the conference win versus Oregon State this season is progress because 1 conference win is better than none.

If you look deeper, however, the 2014 Buffs played several teams to a tie during regulation, only going on to loose in OT. The 2015 Buffs are not making it to OT. The recurring theme between last year and this year is an absolute absense of a killer instinct that is capable of turning 2nd half Buff leads into a victory. The Buffs are exciting to watch versus Embree teams because under the Buffs now are mostly "competitive". Victory might be in reach against P12 foes late in the game. But no matter how competitve the Buffs may be, it remains very predictable that the Buffs will most certainly choke when the game is on the line.

This recurring story line of "close but no cigar" is the hallmark of the MacIntyre era thus far. It turns out that the influence of Jim Leavitt on defense has slowed down opponent's offenses, up until the point where the ball is handed back to an anemic offense who is okay at sustaining drives between the red zones, but absolutely horrid at turning red zone visits into points.

Two biggest areas of need for improvement, IMO, is with recruiting and inside the red zone preparation. If MacIntyre doesn't remedy these two areas in 2016, he's done. If he addresses these areas, his seat wouldn't be so hot. There is no appetite for fans for next season to be another "lose close" carbon copy of 2014 and 2015.

I'm on board with MacIntyre only if recruiting speed and size on par with the middle of the P12 conference, and the offense can not repetitively screw up first and goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next year's schedule does us no favors either:

Assuming we beat Idaho St and lose at Michigan, the success of our OOC, and bowl hope, hinges on playing ****ing CSU. The first game of the year (which we seem to **** the bed in) on a neutral site against a team we have nothing to gain from playing, with an inexperienced QB and no Spruce, and after they seemingly picked up steam following the RMS while we didn't see much improvement (if at all).

MOTHER**** ME.

The pulse of this program is to lay an egg in that game and be put in a bad position where we need to win 5 conference games to salvage the year.

I hope they prove me wrong but I'm having nightmares already of a Hawaii-esque repeat.

Its critical to be competitive next week to gain some momentum and keep the team on board with Mac or there's no way we aren't in this same position next year, barring a "splash" hire.

I see stagnation of ideas and talent. It's uncanny how the futility of a Sefo led offense inside the red zone transferred to Apsay. CU's offense is painful to watch when its first and goal.

The fallacy in logic by some on this board points to comparison of MacIntyre's Buffs versus the impossibly low bar set by Embree's teams. The Buffs showed a large jump from being undeniably among the rock bottom worst of D1 football to a middling team that is low by P5 standards, but competitive with mid-level conferences.

Using easily accessible statistical measures, it's easy to see the Buffs are no longer at the rock bottom of 120 teams, but more in that 60-80 range. CU's current roster of players and coaches would seemingly be more competitive in a Mountain West or ConfUSA than they are in the PAC or B1G or SEC.

The logic that we don't see discussed enough is how the 2015 Buffs stack up against the 2014 MacIntyre team. At the most basic level, the conference win versus Oregon State this season is progress because 1 conference win is better than none.

If you look deeper, however, the 2014 Buffs played several teams to a tie during regulation, only going on to loose in OT. The 2015 Buffs are not making it to OT. The recurring theme between last year and this year is an absolute absense of a killer instinct that is capable of turning 2nd half Buff leads into a victory. The Buffs are exciting to watch versus Embree teams because under the Buffs now are mostly "competitive". Victory might be in reach against P12 foes late in the game. But no matter how competitve the Buffs may be, it remains very predictable that the Buffs will most certainly choke when the game is on the line.

This recurring story line of "close but no cigar" is the hallmark of the MacIntyre era thus far. It turns out that the influence of Jim Leavitt on defense has slowed down opponent's offenses, up until the point where the ball is handed back to an anemic offense who is okay at sustaining drives between the red zones, but absolutely horrid at turning red zone visits into points.

Two biggest areas of need for improvement, IMO, is with recruiting and inside the red zone preparation. If MacIntyre doesn't remedy these two areas in 2016, he's done. If he addresses these areas, his seat wouldn't be so hot. There is no appetite for fans for next season to be another "lose close" carbon copy of 2014 and 2015.

I'm on board with MacIntyre only if recruiting speed and size on par with the middle of the P12 conference, and the offense can not repetitively screw up first and goal.
agree and have to stop spotting the other team 14+ points every game

No - after three seasons. The game against wsu, one of the worst D's in conference and giving up 30+ points a game, was the first time the Buffs failed to score a TD.
Not good

No - after three seasons. The game against wsu, one of the worst D's in conference and giving up 30+ points a game, was the first time the Buffs failed to score a TD.
Not good

First time under MacIntyre. Not first time in conference.

[QUOTE="Shldr2Shldr, post: 1901353, member: 3075"]First time under MacIntyre. Not first time in conference.[/QUOTE]
yep, sad

The O's performance could be due to a new QB, but I'm tired of coming up with reasons why we are so close or explaining away performances. I can't believe the O, returning most starters from last year, is so dramatically worse than last year. If this doesn't cost Lindgren his job, as the same thing cost Baer his, I'm not sure what MM is thinking. If the O were simply as good as last year we'd be bowling with the improvement in the D...we went from ~109th in scoring D last year to in the 70s...that's what coaching looks like BL.

There are only a handful of coaches that can coach a team out of the bottom of a p5 conference with mid-level MWC talent. The #150 ranked tennis player in the world is a freaking badass. There should be no doubt about that, but he's not in the top 10 because of lack of effort or coaching. From the movie Chariots of Fire: "I can't put in what God left out".

It sucks so much that csu is bowl eligible. They got a new coach, replaced Rb's and broke in a new Qb + lost a couple of key Defensive guys.

It sucks so much that csu is bowl eligible. They got a new coach, replaced Rb's and broke in a new Qb + lost a couple of key Defensive guys.

keep in mind who they play.

They have wins over:

Savannah State
UTSA
AFA
Wyo
UNLV
UNM

Ya the goats bleating about being bowl eligible is annoying, but it means nothing.

I look at the question a little differently - is our foundational base improving. I would expect a team returning 16 starters, 9 of those on defense - to be improved on the field what is shocking is how little the improvement has been. Recruiting is still at the bottom of the conference - you can talk about the successes that Leavitt has had in Florida but it appears that the rest of the staff has regressed on that front. This is not a particularly well coached team or well managed team. - key mistakes, poor clock management, team not ready to play, seldom get 4 quarters of effort. Even more concerning is the lack of improvement over the course of the season. The PAC12 South is down this year so we should be more completive as the pack moves back.

I watched Oregon against CU and felt Oregon was not a very good team. - I watched them against USC and they were a machine, they played very well. Oregon only returned 12 starters but have improved over the course of the season tremendously. Adams is a much better QB than Locke but everyone on their team appears to have stepped up their game over the course of the season.

So no I don't think the needle has moved much for CU football and whomever is the coach next year is going to be lacking talent. If Montez is the QB he will still be behind a porous line and he will be a Frosh QB.

I look at the question a little differently - is our foundational base improving. I would expect a team returning 16 starters, 9 of those on defense - to be improved on the field what is shocking is how little the improvement has been. Recruiting is still at the bottom of the conference - you can talk about the successes that Leavitt has had in Florida but it appears that the rest of the staff has regressed on that front. This is not a particularly well coached team or well managed team. - key mistakes, poor clock management, team not ready to play, seldom get 4 quarters of effort. Even more concerning is the lack of improvement over the course of the season. The PAC12 South is down this year so we should be more completive as the pack moves back.

I watched Oregon against CU and felt Oregon was not a very good team. - I watched them against USC and they were a machine, they played very well. Oregon only returned 12 starters but have improved over the course of the season tremendously. Adams is a much better QB than Locke but everyone on their team appears to have stepped up their game over the course of the season.

So no I don't think the needle has moved much for CU football and whomever is the coach next year is going to be lacking talent. If Montez is the QB he will still be behind a porous line and he will be a Frosh QB.

That's the exact same story for every single bottom-dwelling team in any p5 conference. There is not upward inertia, only downward inertia. Failure reinforces failure, success breeds success. The rich get richer. Fans project the hope of upward progress/rebuilding onto a reality that is the opposite. The longer you stay at the bottom the more likely it is to remain at the bottom two years from now. Typically, the catalyst that can break through the inertia is a dynamic recruiter or a supremely innovative and effective coach.

Let me start by saying this is not an apologist post, but a post that I'm hoping paints a more complete picture of the season and our current position.

When making predictions for this season, I would say that most predictions fell between the 4-6 win range, with outliers on both sides. With this in mind, CU has underperformed slightly, or achieved the low bar set by the majority of posters on this site.

Now imagine if I came to you before the season and asked you to make a prediction based upon the following info.
- Sefo would miss 3 games
- Jeromy Irwin would miss nearly the entire year
- Irwins backup, Kronshage would miss significant time
- Gillam would miss basically the entire season
- Olugbode would miss games
- Josh Tupou would never see the field
-Shay Fields would be hobbled for a good part of the season
- Ryan Moeller would miss 4 games
-Michael Adkins would miss nearly the entire season

With this new information and knowing that depth is the one thing that we do not have, would you revise your prediction at all? If so, how many games would you think that we would win?

Before the response of, "other teams have injuries too" comes along, I get that. The difference between UCLA losing so many key players and the Buffs losing so many, is depth. They have a 4 star on the bench waiting to go. CU is walking a tight rope and it only takes a stiff breeze to send us over. I am not satisfied at all with how this season turned out, but based upon the information I have at hand, I can't say I am terribly surprised.

Let me start by saying this is not an apologist post, but a post that I'm hoping paints a more complete picture of the season and our current position.

When making predictions for this season, I would say that most predictions fell between the 4-6 win range, with outliers on both sides. With this in mind, CU has underperformed slightly, or achieved the low bar set by the majority of posters on this site.

Now imagine if I came to you before the season and asked you to make a prediction based upon the following info.
- Sefo would miss 3 games
- Jeromy Irwin would miss nearly the entire year
- Irwins backup, Kronshage would miss significant time
- Gillam would miss basically the entire season
- Olugbode would miss games
- Josh Tupou would never see the field
-Shay Fields would be hobbled for a good part of the season
- Ryan Moeller would miss 4 games
-Michael Adkins would miss nearly the entire season

With this new information and knowing that depth is the one thing that we do not have, would you revise your prediction at all? If so, how many games would you think that we would win?

Before the response of, "other teams have injuries too" comes along, I get that. The difference between UCLA losing so many key players and the Buffs losing so many, is depth. They have a 4 star on the bench waiting to go. CU is walking a tight rope and it only takes a stiff breeze to send us over. I am not satisfied at all with how this season turned out, but based upon the information I have at hand, I can't say I am terribly surprised.
Don't confuse expectations with what we would consider a success. I expected 4-5 wins before this season but even before the season I would have considered 4 wins unacceptable.

The fact that teams like UCLA have talent on their bench to help when injuries occur is not a valid excuse for CU, it's an indictment of our recruiting.

Don't confuse expectations with what we would consider a success. I expected 4-5 wins before this season but even before the season I would have considered 4 wins unacceptable.

The fact that teams like UCLA have talent on their bench to help when injuries occur is not a valid excuse for CU, it's an indictment of our recruiting.

So you are saying that before the season even started you had your mind made up that this year would be a failure for CU?

I completely agree with you on the UCLA recruiting front and said as much in my first post. The difference there is that HCMM had to come in and stabilize the program by limiting the attrition that has plagued the program. If you thought anyone was going to come in here and in two years have a roster full of P12 talent and be recruiting with UCLA, you're out of your mind.

There is a chicken/egg argument that always occurs with this.

Do you need to win first before you can start recruiting, or do you need to recruit first before you can start winning. The answer to me is that it seems you need a coach that falls into one of those two categories. You either find a coach that is good enough to win with the talent he has and recruiting will come naturally, or you find a coach that can recruit lights out and puts the incoming talent to good use through proper scheme.

Still unsure of which category HCMM falls into, or if he falls into either.

So you are saying that before the season even started you had your mind made up that this year would be a failure for CU?

I completely agree with you on the UCLA recruiting front and said as much in my first post. The difference there is that HCMM had to come in and stabilize the program by limiting the attrition that has plagued the program. If you thought anyone was going to come in here and in two years have a roster full of P12 talent and be recruiting with UCLA, you're out of your mind.
I don't know if failure is the right word, but with the schedule we were facing I didn't see more than 4-5 wins which would have been disappointing in year 3. More importantly, it looked like we had very few chances for Pac 12 wins and I do consider 1 win in conference a failure.

I think this team has improved on defense. Other than crawley and spoon, we have somevtalented p5 players there. LB is a mess, big improvement needed there. DL needs a boost also.

Offense has regressed big time. It's easy to point to sefo and he's earmed his share of criticism. The OL has been a disaster. We need a new OL coach and we need to start developing players. Guys shouldn't be playing more poorly as Jr's and Sr's than they were as underclassmen.

Red zone mistakes, penalties etc..have been a common theme under MM and further back.

I don't know how these guys are going to get out of this hole, something drastically has to change. Everbody goes to bowl games but cu.

With a loss to utah, MM will have a 10-27 overall record and 2-25 in the pac12. Thats beyond awful.

Like anything in life. Results don't lie. It (win loss record) is what it is. and agree with Syko, 2-25 is freak'n ridiculous and a disgrace

Every post game it is always "we need to fix X " pick turnovers, mistakes, etc. to fill in the blanks. But it is not getting fixed.

yea that one missed kick, one missed catch woulda been a different game...no shjt!

Back