1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the men better off in the NIT this year?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by ahoelsken, Jan 11, 2015.

1. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Fair question, and I think barring some sort of ridiculous hot streak, that looks like where we're heading. Given the amount of freshmen and sophomores on this team (Dustin Thomas, Treshaun Fletcher, Jaron Hopkins), would it be better off to make the NIT and make a deep run in that tournament rather than getting absurdly hot and getting bounced in the first round of the NCAAs?

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

3. NBDefektor

NBDefektor Well-Known Member

Why does this question come up every season? Buffnik's answer should suffice and let's just lock the thread.

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

You're never better off being in the NIT. Ever.

5. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

You're asking if we are better off having a worse season. No, idiot.

6. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Play 1 game in the NCAA and lose by 20+ or allow a young, work in progress play in a tournament for an additional month.

Some teams would benefit from the extra practice and games. This would be one of those teams.

7. Bass

Bass Club Member Club Member

this is so idiotic. JTFC

8. Buffnik

No.

It's better to have played well & gone on a run when the games mattered in order to make the Dance. Always.

9. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Would benefit the team and the program in the long run for more practice and games. Making the NIT final four would be a huge accomplishment for the team this season.

10. Ruckus

Making the dance would be a better accomplishment.

11. Buffnik

1. You're assuming they would make the NIT Final 4 if they got in. Huge assumption. (Irrelevant to me, either way, fwiw.)

2. Some programs turn down NIT invites.

This thread would be more pertinent if we asked the question of which post-season tournaments should CU MBB turn down if it has a season that doesn't reach the NCAA Tournament. Should CU ever play in a CIT? A CBI? A NIT?

I'd still accept NIT but would refuse the others.

12. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Assuming the team makes any tournament is a reach.

Three straight years of NCAA bids and you think we'd turn down a post season tournament?

We don't have the tradition to justify that.

13. Ruckus

No. I'm not sure if you were born in '88, or graduated then, but you should be old enough to know more than you're showing here.

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Stupid gonna stupid

15. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Give me extra games and practices all day, the core of this team needs it, badly.

16. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

An opinion?

17. Buffnik

On the one hand, you have a more successful season and all the NCAA tournament does for the team in terms of experience and recruiting. Plus a shot to do something memorable.

On the other hand, you'd be willing to forgo all of that for lesser achievement and the hope it yields more practices so the team is better positioned to make the NCAA tournament next year.

That makes no sense to me.

18. Ruckus

Extra practices for a team that will have different lineups next year? Fairly useless. Give me the Dance because it means we had a better season, we get to compete at the highest level of competition for the biggest prize, gives our players much needed experience playing in a high pressure tournament game, and gives us a chance to make a sweet sixteen, or elite eight because anything can happen when you're there.

NIT also doesn't even guarantee more practices/games. Could lose first round.

19. Ruckus

A non-sensical opinion showing poor thought process?

20. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Sorry you don't agree with my response to the OP.

21. GoBuffs88

GoBuffs88 Active Member

Losing 1 player to graduation, getting 1 transfer who has been practicing with the team all year, and 1 new recruit. Most of the team will remain, and would benefit greatly from the added time.

Not sure how getting beat by Pitt by 29 points helped our team for this year. Didn't see much of that experience help against GW or Hawaii.

I'm assuming as much about playing multiple NIT games as you are assuming we play better than we did against Pitt and keep the game close for more than 4 minutes.

22. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Nope. It means we either did well this season and ok in pac12 tourney or won the pac12 tourney. Both of those would be better than how the team is playing now, but let's not pretend anyone cares about the nit.

No one fills a bracket for the NIT and if CU gets their act together could be playing strong enough to win a tourney game. That's be huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Darth Snow

Sorry you don't agree that your thought process sucked

24. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

No one watches the NIT. Would the 2012 team have been better in the NIT? Probably, but they earned a spot in the big dance, and were one freak performance from a canadian away from the sweet 16. Everyone would have known that, but if they went to the NIT final 4, no one would have cared.

25. Flatirons2

Flatirons2 New Member

With the remaining # of games + the lack of any quality wins thus far ^^^ is accurate. CU is not a blue blood and even those need to re-load periodically...turning down an invite is absurd. Getting your butt handed to you in the first round does almost nothing long term for the program (hence Tad's reminders). CU not making the big dance is not front page news the likes of a UCLA or Indiana...4 years is not enough history..18-19 wins is still feasible to get into the lesser of the two. The bad losses to date...we need almost 21-22 wins to get into the dance or win the conference championship...pretty steep hill.

26. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

CU fans have mastered silver linings and various other forms of cognitive dissonance.

27. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

The NCAA Tournament is always the goal. The prestige, the publicity...ridiculous this is even being debated for the umpteenth time. If CU ends up the NIT, by all means make the most of it. However, claiming it's somehow "better" for CU than being in the Big Dance is absurd. 4 straight Big Dances sells. NIT doesn't. The best preparation for a deep Dance run is being in the Dance previously, not playing Mercer in front of 2,000 fans at the Keg.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  28. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks this team is a lock for the NIT, they're delusional.

Last year, there was one 16-win team in the NIT and two 17-win teams. The other 29 teams had 19 or more wins.

So currently at 9-6 with XJ with a high ankle sprain, we need at least 8 more wins to get into the NIT. We'll have to pull a couple upsets to get that done.

So, the better question is: What would a CBI bid mean for this program?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  29. Darth Snow

I'm just impressed you are posting and its not during or immediately after a loss.

30. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Two faulty assumptions: (1) if we make the NIT, we likely go on a deep run; and (2) if the team plays well enough to make the NCAA, we lose by 20 in the first round. If this team makes the dance, it is going to have to play out of its mind down the stretch and will most certainly be "peaking" at the right time. I don't think it is likely we lose by 20 in the first round under those circumstances.