What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are you guys happy??????

I am glad the players that CU recruited in the early to mid-eighties didn't have that attitude.

I suspect the ones you're thinking of could see CU at least having a chance to get back on top once they met Mac.... :thumbsup:

Stop. Now you are just being silly.

Am I? I was at the game 2 years before when CU did only have 5 wins. There were still a lot of Huskers but not nearly as many as this year. The corn travel well. They always have. Having the game mean something for the buffs would have gotten more Black and Gold in the seats.

Am I? I was at the game 2 years before when CU did only have 5 wins. There were still a lot of Huskers but not nearly as many as this year. The corn travel well. They always have. Having the game mean something for the buffs would have gotten more Black and Gold in the seats.

Agree on 5 wins, not silly at all.

I get real sick of people Sh*tting on our fans. Buffs were awful, Nub was good. Holiday weekend = tons of bugeaters in town...

Bronco's were what, 6-1 with a home game on Monday night against the Steelers & there were lots of Steelers fans in the stands. Broncos fans suck too?

15 f'in thousand fans in Folsom wearing RED!!!!! I guess that was the players and coaches fault.

Big time programs don't have fans tuck tail and run when things get tough. CU will always be a little fish in a big pond as long as our fan base to tuck tail and run when things get a little tough.

I could careless if you like the Coach, AD, or University Pres. Doesn't matter. CU fans are the only fans I know of that want to think our program can run with the big boys, yet we stay home on Sat. with our tails tucked between our legs when things get a little tough.

Again 15K kNU fans in Folsom for "rival game". Doesn't happen at big time programs.

Feel free to show up and do your part. I was there. Were you?

I get real sick of people Sh*tting on our fans. Buffs were awful, Nub was good. Holiday weekend = tons of bugeaters in town...

Bronco's were what, 6-1 with a home game on Monday night against the Steelers & there were lots of Steelers fans in the stands. Broncos fans suck too?

Anybody remember that picture that the fusker scum like to flash around of their game at ND a few years back, with all the red in the stands?? I guess ND has been struggling because of a lack of fan support too.... :rolleyes::huh:

I was trying to be funny and failed. Miserably. I meant you were silly thinking this years team could get 5 wins.

Yes

I am glad the players that CU recruited in the early to mid-eighties didn't have that attitude.

:lol:

CU "turned it around" with a converted WR as a quarterback and a bunch of guys that played hard but were undersized and outmanned against just about everybody they played against. It wasn't until 1986, after they went to a bowl game, that they managed to get some good recruits. Guys like Mike Pritchard, JJ Flannigan, Joe Garten and Sal Aunese came to CU based off of a solid 7-5 year that included a bowl game against a solid Washington team that we should have beaten. We haven't sniffed 7-5 for a long, long time.

Newsflash!! Apathy at CU, fans not as rabid in large numbers like other schools.....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

I was trying to be funny and failed. Miserably. I meant you were silly thinking this years team could get 5 wins.

:lol: Had you told me before the year started that 5 wins was wishful thinking I would have thought you were crazy.

The fans don't produce wins. It's the coaches job to get the W. It shouldn't matter if there is 1 fan or 80k fans in the stadium.

I know it's not unique.

My problem is what I do find unique about CU fans, is that we talk as if we should be in the running for the Big12 championship every year, but we don't support our programs to the same degree as those fans do. Sorry if it hurts.

If, and I truly mean if, our we want to see CU compete annually for the Big12 then we need to stop staying at home when our rival comes to town.

Ok I will make you a deal I will match every one of your season ticket purchases.

Together we can make sure there is less red in the stands.

Last edited:
Ok I will make you a deal I will match every one of your season ticket purchases.

Together we can make sure there is less red in the stands.

A) Do you currently have season tickets ??? (as in last year)

B) Will you extend the same offer to me (I live in Oklahoma City)?

Let's make sure we understand what I am blaming the fans for.

1) I am not blaming them for Hawkins pathetic record while at CU.
2) I am not blaming the fans for being unhappy and wanting to go in a new direction.

I am blaming the fans for allowing kNU to turn Folsom into a home away from home. And yes that includes the 80's when. kNU has always been able to come to Folsom and put alot of red in our stadium. This is suppose to be our RIVAL is it not? Do 15K CU fans show up in Lincoln every other year?

Again I don't care what our fan bases thoughts are on the staff or admin. But the bottom line facts about CU fans is we only show up on Sat when our team is winning. This has been CU's MO for a long time. Not just under Hawkins.

Never intended for you to think I was insinuating points 1 and 2 above...those are just plain silly.

Can't argue the point that generally the fans don't show up unless they are winning. That won't change - and is going to get far less in the near future from the sounds of things. I can't blame people for voting with their wallets.

However, there is a much larger group of hard core fans that do show up regularly rain or shine than has ever existed in CU's history...much to do with the fact that we did have that nice run in the late 80's which merged two different generations of Buff fans on both sides of the Fairbanks era.

Unfortunately it IS a fact that CU is a "second tier" sport in this state. Everything is outside of the Donkeys - and one could argue about the loyalty there these days based purely on the ticket prices (e.g. I don't recognize but a handful of people in our section from week to week and there are a hell of a lot more visitors than there used to be...did you hear how loud it was when the Raiders did something good yesterday? That is a rival game as well).

I would also argue that even when we are winning you will still have 15K kNU fans in the stands period. They are like roaches and will find their way into the game. I think someone said it best when they mentioned that it is no different at Rockies games when the Cubs are here. Ever seen Pepsi Center when the Red Wings, Flyers, etc. are in town? Part of the reality of the transplants here.

I guess I'm just sick of people bitching about the fans and the turnout but dont buy season tickets themselves.

I can understand being upset with Bronco fans because there is a waiting list for season tickets, but there are plenty Buff tickets available. If you live out of town and cant make every game dont worry I'm sure we can find someone to sit in the seat wearing B n G.

I guess I'm just sick of people bitching about the fans and the turnout but dont buy season tickets themselves.

I can understand being upset with Bronco fans because there is a waiting list for season tickets, but there are plenty Buff tickets available. If you live out of town and cant make every game dont worry I'm sure we can find someone to sit in the seat wearing B n G.

:lol: We're of the same thinking, sir!!!:thumbsup: If I cant make it, I find someone to sit there, often times for free. Just want butts in the seats.

15 f'in thousand fans in Folsom wearing RED!!!!! I guess that was the players and coaches fault.

Big time programs don't have fans tuck tail and run when things get tough. CU will always be a little fish in a big pond as long as our fan base to tuck tail and run when things get a little tough.

I could careless if you like the Coach, AD, or University Pres. Doesn't matter. CU fans are the only fans I know of that want to think our program can run with the big boys, yet we stay home on Sat. with our tails tucked between our legs when things get a little tough.

Again 15K kNU fans in Folsom for "rival game". Doesn't happen at big time programs.
Bull $h!t, when Nub played at South Bend, Irish fans said they never saw so much red in their stadium. I would say CU AD dept should kiss the ***** of any CU fan that buys a season ticket for next year. The return on that investment will be minimal to negligible. Besides, the current administration doesn't care about football. So blame them.
three-stooges hawk.jpg

Never intended for you to think I was insinuating points 1 and 2 above...those are just plain silly.

Can't argue the point that generally the fans don't show up unless they are winning. That won't change - and is going to get far less in the near future from the sounds of things. I can't blame people for voting with their wallets.

However, there is a much larger group of hard core fans that do show up regularly rain or shine than has ever existed in CU's history...much to do with the fact that we did have that nice run in the late 80's which merged two different generations of Buff fans on both sides of the Fairbanks era.

Unfortunately it IS a fact that CU is a "second tier" sport in this state. Everything is outside of the Donkeys - and one could argue about the loyalty there these days based purely on the ticket prices (e.g. I don't recognize but a handful of people in our section from week to week and there are a hell of a lot more visitors than there used to be...did you hear how loud it was when the Raiders did something good yesterday? That is a rival game as well).

I would also argue that even when we are winning you will still have 15K kNU fans in the stands period. They are like roaches and will find their way into the game. I think someone said it best when they mentioned that it is no different at Rockies games when the Cubs are here. Ever seen Pepsi Center when the Red Wings, Flyers, etc. are in town? Part of the reality of the transplants here.

No arguments.

Part of my frustration is that I have read quite a few posts lately that think recruiting has nothing to do with the fan base and that it's all about wins and loses. This has some ring of truth, when you are top dog program like a UF, UT, OU, etc.

But when you are a good program historically like CU is, with a history of ups and downs, wins and loses is only part of the equation. If you want to consistently pull good recruits to CU, especially in-state guys, even when our program is on the down swing, then the support the general fan base shows for the program also goes along way. If we don't think that having our Big12 rival able to fill that many seats doesn't impact a recruits thought process, then we don't seem to have a good handle on the facts of the situation.

How fans support their programs during the lean years can, and often will, determine how long it takes to recover. Many are not going to want to play for a team that is losing. NO ONE will want to play for a team that is losing and isn't being supported by it's own fan base.

The later is what I take from Sponds comments.

Last edited:
Sure, a fanbase can positively or negatively affect recruiting. But to argue that Danny Spond was all set to come to CU until he saw a bunch of red against NU is laughable. He admitted he was having second thoughts about his commitment well before that game when the heat turned up on Hawkins. More than any other group of recruits, the in-state recruits know how badly the 2009 season was for us. They hear what the local media is saying. That is what is killing this class.

EDIT: Here is what Spond had to say on November 13th:

Columbine High's Danny Spond said Thursday he is still committed but "will open the door to other schools."

"I'm a little concerned about how stuff's been going a little bit, to be honest," said Spond, a quarterback who is listed as an athlete on recruiting sites. "In the beginning of the season I had a lot of high hopes for them. I know a lot of people did, with the size of the offense and the second year they've all been playing together. The year they're having has got me a little worried about their whole chemistry and how things are going."

Last edited:
We are a fickle bunch..the CU fan base. We need to win to bring in dollars, especially from the out-of-state alumns. And, when it seems very clear that the administration does not give a rat's ass about winning (ie, decides not to terminate Danny after exposing him for the fraud that he is), then the program is in a death spiral....continued losses, and expanding fan apathy.

We are all pulling for Danny to win next year, because if he doesn't, the years required to recover have grown by several years.

It is what it is...

To answer the original question, hell no we are not happy. Lesser programs have figured out that you need to pull the trigger, take your losses and move on....we, unfortunately, could not figure that out.

There's a shock, chilly blaming the fans at CU and doesn't have any accountability for hawk and his awful coaching and record.

Tell you what, usc wouldn't be packed at 3-9, neither would many programs but the cu fanbase has always been fickle. Salaam breaks 2000 yds vs ISU on a 10-1 team and no sell-out.

I think cu's awful record the last 4 years might have more to do with recruiting than a bunch of red at the cu-nu game.

Here's what I don't get.

In 1990, the population of Colorado was 3.3 million people. Now, it's 5 million. Almost all of these people have located along the front range.

How is it possible we haven't been able to pull an extra 5,000 fans at every home game to sell out every week?

To me, that's just another example of how the Athletic Department was completely mismanaged under Tharpe and has had to be completely rebuilt. With the growth we've seen, CU really should be looking at stadium expansion with no worries about filling seats. Hopefully with continued good marketing we'll get there quickly... if we can put a good product on the field.

Here's what I don't get.

In 1990, the population of Colorado was 3.3 million people. Now, it's 5 million. Almost all of these people have located along the front range.

Add in the fact that its surprising Colorado high school football hasn't gotten dramatically better with more elite prospects available.. Not sure its much different than what it was in the late 80's/early 90's..

The fans don't produce wins. It's the coaches job to get the W. It shouldn't matter if there is 1 fan or 80k fans in the stadium.

:yeahthat:

Were all worried about what a 17 year old recruit said? C'mon, this kid Spond is barely old enough to shave. Most kids his age don't say to many things that are logical or make much sense to begin with. IMO, To put any blame at all on the fans is just plain stupidity. What if his H.S. team had the same record as the Buffs? Would he have blamed their record on the fans? Not likely:smile2:

Back