What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Article about CU moving to the MWC if the MWC gets automatic BCS bid

Would kill recruiting. The myth is it would help in California because that's where the other MWC teams are competing for kids. Aside from Utah and BYU currently, the top talent isn't gravitating toward these schools anyway. The biggest recruiting tool CU has on its side today is that they play a Big 12 schedule every year. High school players not getting offers from the top schools in the conference will still want that kind of competition and exposure and if CU offers when NU, Tex, OSU, etc. don't it still gives them hope for plenty of national TV games because of those schools we would be playing. BCS upgrade or not. The Big East already has their bid, why don't we try to get a piece of that while we're at it? Terrible idea.

If CU is not going to make a commitment to being even sort-of relevant or competitive in the big 12, why not size down to a league where we can at least go .500?

This team has been good one year out of the last 10+. One.

I would welcome a change to a conference where we can be good.

The people who run this university don't care about the football team winning. We have a moron of a head coach who fails literally on a continual basis and he appears to be under 0 pressure.

Either make a commitment to compete in the conference we're in, or explore other options. What's the joy in being a doormat?

If CU is not going to make a commitment to being even sort-of relevant or competitive in the big 12, why not size down to a league where we can at least go .500?

The people who run this university don't care about the football team winning. We have a moron of a head coach who fails literally on a continual basis and he appears to be under 0 pressure.

Either make a commitment to compete in the conference we're in, or explore other options. What's the joy in being a doormat?

You actually make a good argument for why the Pac-10 makes so much sense for CU. It's not a football factory conference and is made up exclusively of tier 1 graduate research universities. If they ask us to make the move, we should do it imho.

Comparison of the MWC verses B12 population

MWC 16.7 Million
B12 28.4 Million

Population based on wiki metro areas
MWC = DFW, San Diego, Denver, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, Provo, Santa Fe, Ft. Collins, Cheyenne and Laramie

B12 = DFW, Houston, St. Louis, Denver, San Antonio, Kansas City, Austin, OKC/Norman, Tulsa, Omaha, Des Moines, Lincoln, Lubbock, Waco, Amarillo, Topeka, College Station, Columbia, Manhattan KS, Boulder, Ames and Stillwater.

The MWC would be sunk without DFW and San Diego, which account for over half of those population numbers. DFW doesn't exactly rally around TCU, and The people of San Diego don't plan their weekends around the Aztecs.

So unless the MWC locations double it's existing population, or the population in the B12 gets reduced by half, the attractiveness of CU moving to the MWC just isn't there.

Remember that CU benefits not only from the BCS arrangement, but also from network revenue sharing. This angle was completely missing from the link. Oops.

This is exactly the reason why CU the the MWC makes no sense and in fact why the MWC is not a BCS autoqualifier conference. From a strictly football standpoint it is easy to make an argument that the MWC is better and more deserving than the Big Least. That said as much as we all love to live and die over it every weekend college football is a business. It is about generating the maximum amount of dollars for the schools involved and in that department the MWC falls woefully short.

Start with a comparison of the Big XII to the MWC. On a normal Saturday the Big XII has a game on ABC and at least another on ESPN plus more on Fox, etc. The MWC is on Versus and The Mountain, a network they formed when ESPN told them that their ratings didn't justify a major contract renewal with prime time slots. The country wants to watch the Big XII and advertisers are willing to pay for this audience. The MWC has to subsidise some games to keep them on TV because they don't draw an audience.

Another comparison is in ticket sales. Again on a given weekend if the MWC has four conference games on the slate and the four home teams are Wyo, CSU, SDSU, and New Mexico it is very possible that there are more fans in the stadium in Austin or in Norman or in Lincoln than there are in all four MWC stadiums combined. Colorado has waht is considered a small stadium by Big XII standards and the average attendance is higher than that for every team in the MWC except BYU. The average attendance conference wide is slightly more than 32,000 per game. Even this doesn't tell the complete story. In a rough examination of school web sites the average ticket in the Big XII sells for almost twice as much as the average ticket in the MWC and this does not include additional revenues from seat licenses, parking, concessions, etc. It also does not include an evaluation of local broadcast rights including radio and coaches shows, in stadium advertising, and other sources of revenue.

The MWC has come a long way from its days as the old WAC but still has a long way to go to be considered anything close in terms of on field competitiveness top to bottom and more importantly in terms of money.

Reactions: aik

Not sure why, but I think it is a great idea. Like the idea of the matchups with other Rocky Mountain region teams and TCU, UNLV and San Diego St. are the gravy. Agree that the university doesn't give a crap about the football team. Might as well go somewhere where it is more affordable to exist as a program.

Well ****, then let's make a call to the RMAC offices. See if they can fit CU in. I'll bet the Buffs could kick some major ass in that league, and schools like Mines, CSU-Pueblo, Mesa State and Western State would be great regional rivals.... :lol:

Not sure why, but I think it is a great idea. Like the idea of the matchups with other Rocky Mountain region teams and TCU, UNLV and San Diego St. are the gravy. Agree that the university doesn't give a crap about the football team. Might as well go somewhere where it is more affordable to exist as a program.

Well it would be "geographically natural" for Colorado to be in that conference.

But, being from L.A., I always thought any Arizona school should not be in the Pacific (8)10 and that Hawaii should. :cool:

Being humiliated on the field eventually happens to every program, some just see it happen more times than others. Stepping down to a lesser conference would be a much greater form of humiliation by admitting we can't compete with the other teams in the Big 12 and decided to not even try. When was the last time in the TV era of college football that a team stepped down to a conference with a lower level of competition? Besides Temple, who got kicked out of the Big East because they flat out sucked.

Being humiliated on the field eventually happens to every program, some just see it happen more times than others. Stepping down to a lesser conference would be a much greater form of humiliation by admitting we can't compete with the other teams in the Big 12 and decided to not even try. When was the last time in the TV era of college football that a team stepped down to a conference with a lower level of competition? Besides Temple, who got kicked out of the Big East because they flat out sucked.

Maybe we'll get kicked out of the Big 12 because we flat out suck. Plus, if we lose one more sport at CU, we wont have enough sports to qualify to be in the Big 12.

The whole "BCS conference" thing is bull**** anyway. They should just put the teams ranked 3-10 into a pool and let the major bowls pick from there.

I totally agree. This arrangement would have meant more $$$ for the Big 12 the last two years. Missouri in 07 and Tech in 08 would have gotten BCS bids had this been the case.

Well ****, then let's make a call to the RMAC offices. See if they can fit CU in. I'll bet the Buffs could kick some major ass in that league, and schools like Mines, CSU-Pueblo, Mesa State and Western State would be great regional rivals.... :lol:

No, I say we put the student body in uniforms and go for the Commander-in-Chief Trophy!

The Big 12 north has recently sucked enough, why should we have to move to the MWC. Let's just ride Hack's miserable tenure out get a better coach and get back to playing smart football again.

ignore...

seriously..... this guy just wants to get your "goat." He has bragging rights for a year..... it happens....

Moving to the MWC is an interesting proposition for CU. I would not rule it out someday, but for right now, I would say there is more of a chance of seeing snow in south Florida then CU joining the MWC. (Really this is a better fit for CU opposed to joining the PAC10 if you think about it without emotions getting in the way.)

In 1947, I believe, CU left the Skyline conference and became a member of the Big 6. That conference eventually became the Big 7 and afterwards, the Big 8. Now the conference is the Big 12. Do you really want CU to withdraw back to what used to be the Skyline conference and admit that, after 62 years, they are unable to compete with the big time programs?
If CU moves anywhere, I would favor nothing less than the Pac 10.

Moving to the MWC is an interesting proposition for CU. I would not rule it out someday, but for right now, I would say there is more of a chance of seeing snow in south Florida then CU joining the MWC. (Really this is a better fit for CU opposed to joining the PAC10 if you think about it without emotions getting in the way.)

Geographically yes, and it brings back some old rivalries. We used to play Utah a lot back in the day and it was a rivalry.

I would prefer that CU join the Pac-10 over the MWC anyday. The Pac-10 seems like a much better fit for the Buffs compared to the Big 12.

I would prefer that CU join the Pac-10 over the MWC anyday. The Pac-10 seems like a much better fit for the Buffs compared to the Big 12.

Our biggest problem is our lack of other sports. Pac 10 schools compete in a very wide range of sports and they take pride in that. That we don't have baseball, much less water polo or crew, would be a big negative in their eyes.

CU will never join the Pac-10 or the MWC. Our only chance to move would be the formation of a new conference and a complete reorganization. Geographically, sure the MWC would be a good fit...but that's it.

1) the new PAC-10 commissioner clearly stated an interest in bringing in 2 more schools and starting a championship game (top choices right now are BYU and Utah as they can keep the rivalry in tact and they are consistently at or near the top of the MWC; which both of those teams would jump at in a second)

2) The big XII will not let CU get out of the conference...who are they going to replace us with? Where does ISU go...have they ever competed in the BigXII? Where does KSU go...They have barely competed in the BigXII?

3) Currently, the MWC only has 9 teams. Hypothetically, Let's say BYU and UT go to the Pac10, now they are down to 7...then what happens to the MWC? Now hypothetically say none of this happens and CU joins the MWC and the BigXII replaces us with the most logical choice in TCU...then the MWC is back at 9 and lose one strong to team to be replaced by another (us). the MWC is in the same shape it is in today with not enough competition to be considered legit.

4) If CU (which will never happen) were to go to the MWC and dominate, Do you think anybody would even blink an eye at us? The BYUs, UTs, and TCUs get credit because they are Davids beating up on Goliath. If we move down, we will be bullys going to pick on the weak teams just to appear to be credible and get a BCS game...it will be a joke. c'mon.

However, none of it will ever happen, so enjoy the BigXII and how about this idea...get competive in the best conference and earn your money. This whole MWC thing is retarded from a business standpoint, from a public standpoint, and completely lacks anything remotely resembling common sense.

I have now become a huge advocate of moving to the Pac 10 since my move to Seattle. Although flights from sea tac to denver are pretty reasonable. So I could go either way to be honest. Especially since the Buffs have deals with Oregon and Udub in the near future.

Back