What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Article: CU Football in the Modern Era (Pt. 1 - History)

You have put together a pretty good history of Colorado football. As someone who was a very small part of the 1971 team, I have seen all of things you have discussed. The 1971 team was unbelievably remarkable. I never knew how remarkable we were until I saw Coach Mac's teams of the mid 1980s and after. Colorado football has an uneven, but very proud history that has included some very good teams over many years. The 1960s decade also had some very good teams. Jon Embree has a rebuilding project that is similar to the rebuilding that Coach Mac was faced with. In all honesty it will take graduation of the present large senior class to move on. They are fellow Buffs, but what Hawkins did to them and the program is deplorable. Some folks understand it and some don't. I believe next year and the year after we will see the fruits of Jon Embree's labor.

Part 2 is going to wait until tomorrow. I decided to listen to buffchips and hang out in chat.

I will always be thankful for Mac, but I just think about how much stronger the foundation of our program would be had he stuck around for another 5-7 years. Talk about bad luck, how many other schools that were at the pinnacle of college football had their coach retire to go...preach. Sigh...

One factual point. You imply that CU fired Fairbanks - that was not the case. He resigned to go coach in the USFL on June first - after spring ball. CU had to scramble to find a head coach and it was hard to hire a staff that late in the year.

Mallory deserves to be mentioned for winning a share of the Big 8 crown in 76. CU played in the Orange Bowl that year. or is this just a Mac wank session? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
BNG & Mick - Thanks for the assist. Edited for Fairbanks and Mallory. :thumbsup:

Back