1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article: DiStefano Lets A Donor Know Where He Stands

Discussion in 'vBCms Comments' started by Buffalo Brad, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

2. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

That sounds like *****er Phil. Having sold my company in January, I was looking for some tax relief via a significant donation to CU, in addition to what I already felt was a history of significant donations. After talking to *****er, I wouldnt give another penny to my alma mater until he and BB are gone. I wish I could take back what I already have given.

3. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

How discouraging. But at least we know where we stand - we won't get better until Phil and Bruce are gone.

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect either DiStephano or Benson to leave any time soon.

Football is a small piece of the pie to them (and the Regents). A CU physicist just won the Nobel Prize. That is much more important to CU these days. Football is an after-thought. Someday, when that sort of thinking changes, athletics will become important again.

In a way - Distephano was right. You want facilities upgrades? You want a big time coach? Open your checkbook. Money talks, bull**** walks. I wish CU did have a T. Boone Pickens who would dangle $100 million at CU, along with a laundry list of demands to receive the donation.

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I wish I was T. Boon Pickens rich. I would gladly give CU $250 million in exchange for Benson and Distephano getting fired. Those would be my terms.

6. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Granted, I wasn't there so I can't truly say how the conversation went. But, if he was as defensive and rude as he sounds, he completely failed as a fiduciary of the University. With his responsibility, he should always be capable of finding a constructive way to have that discussion. He should acknowledge the question and layout the challenges CU is facing and communicate how they could really use as much donor help as possible. Think of Bohn what you will, but he would have handled that conversation in a very positive manner.

7. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

This conversation and it's outcome needs to get to Benson and the press....

8. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I emailed it to my regent, Joe Neguse

CUFan likes this.
  9. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

I hate this but I plan to suspend giving to the university again after this year. I suspended it when they decided to keep Hawk for the 5th year and I now have to do it based on the a) absence of any progress on the football field b) lack of a plan for facilities upgrades c) ongoing lack of committment from Benson and Distephano which I believe is based on a fundamental lack of understanding of the relationship between donors and the university via it's sports programs.

When I say suspend giving I mean the following:
    1) no more donations to the AD
    2) No more donations to the Leeds School
    3) No more tickets purchased or games attended
    4) No more Buffs TV subscription
    5) No purchase of licensed products

Some of them are large and some of them aren't but it all adds up.

**** me I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on leaving DirecTV yet...

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

basketball, not even?

11. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Sad, but shows where the root of the problem is...

12. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Its sad when the sheep have more leadership than the shepherd.

13. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

what an ass.

14. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I have much upsetness about this.

Blame the donors for your trouble? That is so wrong on so many levels. Maybe Phil should audit a 100-level marketing class at Leed's next semester.

Phil was basically told by someone who chooses to give a portion of his earnings to Phil's mess of an organization that there was excitement about improvements being on the horizon... with an implied commitment to give more in order to support the project.

Phil's reaction was belittling and unappreciative.

In case anyone at CU is reading this and cares, allow me to lay out a very simple approach that any kid running a lemonade stand would be able to tell them:

1 - Show appreciation to the customers / donors you have

2 - Create enthusiasm among customers / donors by communicating the features & benefits of what you're selling.

Regarding #2, in this case that means telling us the vision so we know what the hell we'd be buying if we sent you a check. You're basically asking us to send money into a black hole because you assume we are both stupid and more passionate about your product than you are... and then have the unimaginable arrogance to tell us we suck as donors because we are hesitant about playing the role of stooge for you.

Newsflash for CU:

WE DON'T OWE YOU A ****ING THING! YOU HAVE TO EARN OUR SUPPORT!

15. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

Hey Phil! She reminds me of you!

[​IMG]

16. LaserDeathHawk

LaserDeathHawk Club Member Club Member

Sadly yes Darth. The problem isn't that Distephano (lord, even his name is a pain in the ass) and Benson don't see the relationship between football and donor/alumni involvement. They don't see it between sports and the alumni. They won't see the light until their wallet is noticeably thinner.

17. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

This.

18. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Wow!
    Phil has an opportunity to enroll someone in increasing their involvement and contribution to CU and instead of going for inspiration he goes for alienation.

Last time I check CU is not tearing it up in the endowment arena (athletics or otherwise) so no matter how big or small, he can't afford to walk away from any donor. How the hell does he still have a job?

19. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

Actually CU is setting records for fund raising, just not for the AD. PD wants CU to become a research university above all else.

20. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

no reason why Colorado can't be both-

21. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Time to privatize CU! Stop the charade of begging the Whackadoos at the legislature for their insignificant annual bone toss toward CU; they contribute less than 10% now!

Let the State keep the Med Center and C-Springs and let Boulder go private; then it can rid itself of the stupid State personnel system, cut way back on the number of administrators who doing nothing toward the school's mission and get rid of DeStef the Ed Prof who exemplifies the Peter Principle. Benson? He's just a confused old man. Shake things up in Boulder and he'll retire.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  22. Clean Undies

Let me clarify this position. Do you think instate and out of state students should pay the same tuition rates?

Without state oversight, I'm thinking the instate tuition would jump from about $4000 per year to something north of $20,000 per year. (USC and Stanford tuition is >$28K)

23. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

How many instate students does CU accept every year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Clean Undies