What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Article on CSewe... help me understand please...

TheRoyale90

I'm sorry to be my old gloomy self again just after a win. Bear with my guys I'm not just being cynical. I was reading this article about the lambs and I was just struck by how much fun it sounds like they're having. They have a living breathing offense with stucker slinging the ball around and this Dion Morton kid playing lights out. My question is: why the F**k do we have such a hard time getting quarterbacks and receivers? Between this and the article yesterday about the new 13 million dollar indoor practice facility the lambs just built I'm really starting to question our "flagship" status.

We had a number of threads last week talking about whether Cody is affecting our ability to recruit a top quarterback but think back... when was the last time we got a top QB? Ochs? That worked out great. As for receivers, after McCoy and Hackett had monster years in 2003 how did we not get anyone to replace them for going on 5 years now? Are Simmons and Simas as good as we think/hope they are? Or is hawk actually putting our best receivers out there 90% of the time. That's a depressing thought. I read the piece on how Scotty is on pace to set a number of records at CU. All due respect to him, I've really grown to like his gutsy style but anyone who thinks he's even in the same league as Westbrook, Johnson, Pritchard, even Savoy is out of their damn mind. How did we get to this place? I hate the lambs but damned if I don't envy them a bit now.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13378854

Take it easy, CSU doesn't have Big 12 skill players either..

Not sure what the reasons why we don't have Big 12 caliber players at QB or WR.. We obviously aren't doing a good enough in our recruiting and our talent evaluation. Really don't have an explanation on why.. It makes no sense to me.

I remember the days in the 90's where we were loaded at WR..

I'm sorry to be my old gloomy self again just after a win. Bear with my guys I'm not just being cynical. I was reading this article about the lambs and I was just struck by how much fun it sounds like they're having. They have a living breathing offense with stucker slinging the ball around and this Dion Morton kid playing lights out. My question is: why the F**k do we have such a hard time getting quarterbacks and receivers? Between this and the article yesterday about the new 13 million dollar indoor practice facility the lambs just built I'm really starting to question our "flagship" status.

We had a number of threads last week talking about whether Cody is affecting our ability to recruit a top quarterback but think back... when was the last time we got a top QB? Ochs? That worked out great. As for receivers, after McCoy and Hackett had monster years in 2003 how did we not get anyone to replace them for going on 5 years now? Are Simmons and Simas as good as we think/hope they are? Or is hawk actually putting our best receivers out there 90% of the time. That's a depressing thought. I read the piece on how Scotty is on pace to set a number of records at CU. All due respect to him, I've really grown to like his gutsy style but anyone who thinks he's even in the same league as Westbrook, Johnson, Pritchard, even Savoy is out of their damn mind. How did we get to this place? I hate the lambs but damned if I don't envy them a bit now.

Too much emphasis is placed on recruiting rankings because there are far too many kids to get an accurate read on. And you cant measure heart. CSU has gotten some scrappy players and they are developing that talent. Kinda like Stewart who was passed over by Ohio State and others but hes obviously a player. Rankings are wrong.

I hope CSU is keeping up/catching up. Competition is the best threat for creating performance.

Take it easy, CSU doesn't have Big 12 skill players either..

Not sure what the reasons why we don't have Big 12 caliber players at QB or WR.. We obviously aren't doing a good enough in our recruiting and our talent evaluation. Really don't have an explanation on why.. It makes no sense to me.

I remember the days in the 90's where we were loaded at WR..

Because I think Mac had some sort of an arrangement that allowed him to get some players in that are not getting in today. Texas made the Big Eight raise entrance requirements as part of their agreement to join the conference. Those requirements hurt NU the most.

Landry Jones did okay at OU yesterday. Under different circumstances, he might have been a Buffs.

Colt Brennen finished out his college career at Hawaii pretty well. He was a Buff who did exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.

CU's dry spell at QB will eventually come to an end (circa Nov 2010).

Landry Jones did okay at OU yesterday. Under different circumstances, he might have been a Buffs.

Colt Brennen finished out his college career at Hawaii pretty well. He was a Buff who did exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.

CU's dry spell at QB will eventually come to an end (circa Nov 2010).

Its true we've really suffered. Who was the last highly rated one that contributed outside of Ochs brief stay? Detmer? I don't recall Hessler, Pez or Moschetti being that highly ranked but man did they step it up when they got the chance.

Too much emphasis is placed on recruiting rankings because there are far too many kids to get an accurate read on. And you cant measure heart. CSU has gotten some scrappy players and they are developing that talent. Kinda like Stewart who was passed over by Ohio State and others but hes obviously a player. Rankings are wrong.

I hope CSU is keeping up/catching up. Competition is the best threat for creating performance.

I don' think you can simply label recruiting rankings as wrong. Sure, they're no guarantee of how well or how poorly a team will be doing 2, 3, 4 years down the road, but if you match up recruiting rankings to subsequent success on the field there's a definite correlation in many cases. It's more than coincidence that teams like Florida, Georgia, OU, Texas, USC, etc. have had highly-rated recruiting classes over the last 5 years or so.

Last edited:
Coaching.. Getting players and teaching them (coaching) on how to do things better to take advantage of what the other team is letting you do.

Anyone have the mailing address for Juice Box? Maybe we can send him a copy of coaching for dummies.

CSU's QB was not highly touted. Klatt, Moschetti - these guys were both pretty good QB's without a lot of tout. So is your concern that we don't get highly rated Qbs or that we don't even get someone who can play the position. You have to develop the QBs, the plan as I understand it this year is to go through the entire year with only one player taking snaps at QB - doesn't that seem foolish to anyone. Wyoming played 3 different players at QB, Missouri let Gabbert into games last year as a true frosh - it helped develop him.

If they want to red shirt hansen then take your next best prospect - Evans?- and get him some game experience. You can always redshirt him next year.

Back