What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Artis vs Wallace

Who would you rather have?

• Dominic Artis

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Tyrone Wallace

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Bank the scholarship for 2013

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Two great players, and it looks like CU is going after them both. We know CU is working Wallace hard, and Yung is now reporting that CU is going to try to get Artis. So, the question is, if you had to choose one, which one would you rather have the Buffs get? Why?

Dominic Artis
PG, Salesian H.S. (Richmond, CA)
6'1", 175 lbs.

More of a pure point. ESPN compares him to Tyus Edney without the ELITE speed that Edney had. Not elite height, but he has long arms and looks young, so he still might have another inch or two to grow still. Great handle, great basketball IQ, but needs to work on his consistency with his outside shot.

Tyrone Wallace
PG, Bakersfield H.S. (Bakersfield, CA)
6'4", 180 lbs.

Been compared here on AllBuffs to Alec Burks. Big PG, and in fact is more of a combo guard. Can score, but not quite the pure point that Artis is. Versatile and can be used many ways, and his defense has been praised. Known for his work ethic. Does need to work on his outside shot though.

So which one is it?

Gimme the Pure Point. Love TW, but he looks to be more of a wing/SG than a pure PG. A true PG makes everyone on the team better.

Two great players, and it looks like CU is going after them both. We know CU is working Wallace hard, and Yung is now reporting that CU is going to try to get Artis. So, the question is, if you had to choose one, which one would you rather have the Buffs get? Why?

Dominic Artis
PG, Salesian H.S. (Richmond, CA)
6'1", 175 lbs.

More of a pure point. ESPN compares him to Tyus Edney without the ELITE speed that Edney had. Not elite height, but he has long arms and looks young, so he still might have another inch or two to grow still. Great handle, great basketball IQ, but needs to work on his consistency with his outside shot.

Tyrone Wallace
PG, Bakersfield H.S. (Bakersfield, CA)
6'4", 180 lbs.

Been compared here on AllBuffs to Alec Burks. Big PG, and in fact is more of a combo guard. Can score, but not quite the pure point that Artis is. Versatile and can be used many ways, and his defense has been praised. Known for his work ethic. Does need to work on his outside shot though.

So which one is it?
both

Make mine Wallace. We already have more of a pure point on campus in Dinwiddie. I'd prefer bringing in a combo guard if we already have someone who can run the offense and pass the ball. The scoring potential and size that Wallace brings to the table make him the more interesting recruit of the two IMHO.

Whoever said Bank the schollie? What is your reasoning? These are both very highly rated prospects. I say take whichever we can get our hands on. Success will bring success.
I said Wallace for the versatility, but I feel very good about either.

Whoever said Bank the schollie? What is your reasoning? These are both very highly rated prospects. I say take whichever we can get our hands on. Success will bring success.
I said Wallace for the versatility, but I feel very good about either.

That was me, and it had nothing to do with either one of these guys, other than the fact that they aren't likely to grow another 8 inches. I just want us to get some size, so as great as it would be getting either one of these guys, I was really voting for using the schollie for a big man, this year or next.

I am betting on Wallace ... Boyle has been working on landing him for some time. I think that Boyle has probably told him that he is his number 1 candidate and really wants him. I don't think that Boyle will be inconsistent and go back on his word now. Besides, we have a great pure point freshman candidate now in Dinwiiddie. There is time to get another outstanding point in the next four years, while he is here. I hope that we can land Wallace as I figure UCLA is probable to jump in on him.

with the possibility of us recruiting artis, maybe it will get TW to commit soon considering we'll probably only take one more for this year.

I kind of like the idea of the high energy pure PG to come into games and push pace.

Then again, I like the idea of a bigger guard who could play PG, SG or Wing in Boyle's system.

Either Artis or Wallace would make us better.

One thing I'm sure of is that we need more players to join Jay Humphries in CU's 500 Assist Club if we're going to get this program where we want it to go. College basketball, especially the NCAA tourney, is dominated by guard play.

I kind of like the idea of the high energy pure PG to come into games and push pace.

Then again, I like the idea of a bigger guard who could play PG, SG or Wing in Boyle's system.

Either Artis or Wallace would make us better.

One thing I'm sure of is that we need more players to join Jay Humphries in CU's 500 Assist Club if we're going to get this program where we want it to go. College basketball, especially the NCAA tourney, is dominated by guard play.

this is the biggest truth in college basketball

I voted Wallace because CU has the more pure point guard in Dinwiddie and I also like the idea of having 2 6'4 guards playing together. Makes the team more versatile.

I have to say that I'm honestly stunned at the results so far. I love Wallace, but this was an easy one for me. First off, I LOVE PG's. If you can get PG's who are bigger (Dinwiddie) it opens up so many options. Plus, a PG who can find open players will make everyone better. Artis is considered by some to be one of the top (if not the top) PG in the West. Everyone keeps mentioning Dinwiddie, but we're pretty thin at the point other than him. Next year we'll have him and Shannon (and Booker if you consider him a point, which I personally am not convinced of) and that's it. While Wallace can play the point, I ultimately think he'll be more of a swingman when it's all said & done.

I don't think we're going to be upset either way, and the other one will probably be a thorn in our side for years to come, but my personal vote was for Artis.

BTW, Teets mentioned this in the Artis thread, but how freakin' amazing is it that we're actually debating which top 100 guard we would rather have?!? Not "can you imagine if we can land one of them?" but "which one would you prefer?".

This staff is amazing.

BTW, Teets mentioned this in the Artis thread, but how freakin' amazing is it that we're actually debating which top 100 guard we would rather have?!? Not "can you imagine if we can land one of them?" but "which one would you prefer?".

This staff is amazing.

Yep, I just love the question.

What can I say goose, you made me want Wallace and I'm a loyal guy. Stop toying with my emotions.

I'm a heartless bastard.

Seriously, Wallace is an amazing player and I think he's going to be great. And I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either player. It just comes down to which one fits our roster better. Personally, and I'm biased towards pure points, I think Artis fits better. But seriously, if we're lucky enough to get either of them, we need to be thrilled.

Well, I picked Artis, given the 3 choices available. And that's based on the "he'd make everyone around him better" scenario. But my REAL answer ..... either one of them would be freaking awesome!

Artis. Team's don't go deep without a true point guard.

I will say that Wallace is very intriguing and reminds me of Burks, but there is already a great scoring 2/3 in this class...

I hate to say it...and I find it odd that I am...but I'd bank it. Honestly, I'd take one of these guys over one of our current commitments (not saying who), but whatever - he's already committed...it's a moot point.We have four guys committed. Two wings, and two "skinny" bigs. We could use a solid BIG, and since it seems like we're out of it this year, bank it for next season. I'm not saying I want a Shaq type of big (although I'd take a Shaq talent of course), but a solid, beefy, muscular big to run, play interior defense and grab some boards would be nice. It'd help us out a lot in my opinion.Yes, we are thin at PG, because we've missed on some kids. Tomlinson is just not that great...serviceable, but not going to take us to the next level. Sharpe - world's of athleticism, but overall game isn't coming together. Dinwiddie, yes, we're all hopeful, and Booker, I agree with Goose that he doesn't sound like a real 1. So, we could use one, and I'm not AGAINST us taking another PG. I'd vote Wallace, because I like matchup problems he could present, as well as the versatility of lineups.My top choice though is save it for next season. Class balance is really nice. Five guys is a lot for any school, but the elite programs can get away with it. Usually one or two kids either declare or transfer. For CU, all of our players seem like 4 year players (yes, including Dre in my opinion), with the exception possibly being X if he lives up to hype his first season.

The three people who voted to bank the scholly should be shot, as should Goose for even making that an option in the poll. There is absolutley no reason for us to turn away elite prospects. I saw Junction's and Dyemeduke's reasoning and I'm not even going to dignify that crap "logic" with a response.

Too harsh? I'll stop being an asshole when people stop writing stupid sh*t.

The three people who voted to bank the scholly should be shot, as should Goose for even making that an option in the poll. There is absolutley no reason for us to turn away elite prospects. I saw Junction's and Dyemeduke's reasoning and I'm not even going to dignify that crap "logic" with a response.

Guh. Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that JRK is 400lbs and living in his Mom's basement? The schtick gets old, ask Jay Mariotti.

I'm going to neg rep you for saying stupid **** while complaining about people saying stupid ****. Too harsh? I will never stop being an asshole and will ridicule people for saying any ****, regardless of whether it is stupid or not.

I hear where folks are coming from about banking it, but I'm tempted by Artis because I'm afraid we may limit our ability to pressure the point by stockpiling bigger guards. I think good ball pressure can really add to the up-tempo pace we emphasize, especially at the keg. Much of my thinking though is based on the assumption that Dinwiddie may have trouble matching up on D with a true #1. If the coaches think he can handle it than I think we should go ahead and add a big guard for the advantages they provide when we've got the ball, whether that's Wallace or someone else in the next cycle.

Despite JRK's eloquent response to the banking it strategy, I do see the appeal of it. I've been a big fan of having our 2013 class be a "whale" (one of the 5*'s we're in on) and Jordan Scott. I also understand the need for more size. That said, we're not Duke or Carolina. We can't turn away talented players like Artis or Wallace just because there's a chance we can get someone who might be better next year.

Back