1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARWU Rankings out for 2014: CU is #34 in the world

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by Buffnik, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Academic Ranking of World Universities is out of Shanghai. It heavily factors in research, graduate level education, and the hard sciences. It's a main one that university presidents and chancellors look at. It drives applications ($$$) from Asia.

From the Pac-12:

#2 Stanford
    #4 Cal
    #12 UCLA
    #15 Washington
    #34 Colorado
    #51 USC
    #86 Arizona
    #87 Utah
    #88 Arizona State
    #151-200 Oregon State
    #201-300 Oregon
    #201-300 Washington State

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Interesting that the first four schools on the list that participate in BCS level football are PAC schools. The B1G starts to show up in the 20's but of the major conferences this list would make a strong argument that the PAC is easily the highest ranked academically.

3. SuperBuff

SuperBuff Club Member Club Member

What is the driving factor for international students to attend one university over another in the states? I ask because while living in Fort Collins (Great place minus csu athletics:lol:) there was a large amount of young men mostly from Kuwait who went to school there and lived in the same apartment community as I did. Do schools set up pipelines to recruit students from certain locations?

4. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

That's actually down one spot from last year. My guess is it has nothing to do with CU losing ground and more to do with making room for institutions who took a big step forward. Basing this off the fact that we moved up in the US News College rankings.

Either way, pretty elite company and look forward to climbing up the list in the future.

5. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

CSU and NU 201-300. And CU > UT.
    P5 schools in front of CU:
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Illinois
    Minnesota (is that the right one - Twin Cities campus?)
    Duke

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

After the Notre Dame academic scandal story broke, I saw all of these stories about how Notre Dame is such an academically elite school, just one step below Harvard, and I thought, really? Alright, they have a top 15 ranked law school, but other than that I have never thought that they were all that elite. It is very satisfying to see them ranked in the 200-300 pod, along with CSU.

7. Bass

Bass Club Member Club Member

you were neighbors with Anwar al-Awlaki???

8. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

I consider Stanford, Cal and UCLA the elite academic schools in the PAC12. Washington, Colorado and Arizona are mid-tier to me, but would be elite in any other conference (right, SEC?). The rest are pretty good schools, but not elite by any means IMO.

Interesting to see the Power 5 representation in the Top 50 schools. PAC12 kicks ass.

Untitled.jpg

9. cubuff2

cubuff2 New Member

I would say Furd, Cal, UCLA and UW are tier1, we and U$C are tier2, UA, ASU, UU are tier3, and the other three are tier4.