1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistant Coaches TABOR and Amendment S

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Sep 12, 2012.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

2. Ralphandler1

Ralphandler1 Member

Not sure..... Sounds like this basically creates an exemption for 325 positions but does actually change the rules about state personnel contracts. And I am guessing that the govenor will not be giving exemptions to CU football to officially hire assistant coaches. If they were gonna give anything it would be to head coaches of other CU sports like skiing, track, cross country etc. You know how much the state supports college stuff (ie none).

3. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

It's not often mentioned, but one could argue that CU's football program started its long decline right around the time that TABOR was passed. When you consider the ridiculous restrictions on state employees limiting our ability to attract and keep assistant coaches and the slow strangulation of the university's state funding, it makes sense that TABOR reduces the program's ability to compete on a level playing ground with other programs in states more friendly to public higher ed.

Does it place higher than dumbass appointments to President like Albino and Buffalo Betsy and bad hires for coaches, probably not, but perhaps behind the scenes, TABOR has affected those hires.

4. Heywood

Heywood The actual El Guapo Club Member

I dont know how much it relates to the football program but I feel like Tabor did have a real significant impact on the university as an educational institution. I graduated in 02 and came back for grad school in 07 and while there were new builidings literally nothing else had been replaced or upgraded since 02. It was quite obvious that budgets were really tight and behind the nice exterior some things were begining to crumble.

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'm reasonably certain that the classification of CU as a enterprise allows them to dole out as many multi-year contracts as they want to. I know there are 4-5 coaches that have multi-year contracts now. EB, Marshall, Embree and Brown I think all do, as well as Bohn, Lappe and Boyle. I don't think the contract issue is an issue any longer. This was all part of the deal that the school struck with the legislature a couple years ago, when we were lamenting the fact that we had to keep Hawkins. Benson & crew were trying to get this done.

6. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

The way I understand it is that the AD gets something like 6 exemptions now. It used to only get, like, 3. But most assistants other than the cooridinators are still on year by year contracts. I believe this really hurts us in retaining good assistants. I suppose it helps if you cut a coach loose before his/her contract expires. In that case, you don't have to buy out the assistants.

7. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

this is correct