What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assuming that CU is in the North Division

The west coast schools do not have the option of switching to a better conference like the Buffs do so the west coast schools are going to have to compromise and if they knew they were going to sense this kind of instability, why did they vote for expansion after all? They were falling behind the rest of the country and if this continued for another 20 years, they would be below the MWC in athletic prestige.

OU and UW are already making threats. They may have no short term options but you really have no idea how the landscape plays out 7-10 years form now. Obviously, the conference heads didn't look far enough ahead to consider divisional alignments.

Uhhhhh.....Arizona schools and Californa schools would be the clear winners in the divisional battle.

Not if the pod scheduling is put in place. The Arizona schools won't play in SoCal every year and even the NorCal schools will have to deal with the thought of not playing one SoCal school in some years. Remember that Wilmer from the SJMN said that there are scheduling concessions being made to the NW schools and I believe that this would be one of them. Frequency is another word that is in play here and that points towards the pod system.

No matter how much CU fans fight over this issue, the school presidents will look at ALL the data that is available to them and that data isn't 100% available to us unless we can produce it on our own and the casual fan doesn't have the resources to come up with the data compared to the schools themselves.

OU and UW are already making threats. They may have no short term options but you really have no idea how the landscape plays out 7-10 years form now. Obviously, the conference heads didn't look far enough ahead to consider divisional alignments.

Would the Texas schools approve of UO and UW being part of the Big 12 when A&M's AD was strongly arguing against A&M going to the Pac-12 due to travel concerns? It's possible but only to a degree. They can threaten all they want but it won't work for them unless the MWC has a BCS auto-bid but then money will be an issue and even if the MWC gets the BCS AQ, it doesn't mean that the MWC will get a big TV contract. Look at the Big East's TV contract.

Translation: The NW schools aren't going anywhere.

To do what? Join the WAC? UW and OU aren't going anywhere.

Uhhhhh.....Arizona schools and Californa schools would be the clear winners in the divisional battle.

But that could potentially come at the cost of equal revenue sharing, which would make the CA schools (well, the L.A. schools) the clear losers. It's all about compromise.

I wanted ASU, but I'll settle for the Oregon cheerleaders I guess.

oregon_cheerleaders.jpg

4, 1, 3, 5, 2

You guys are going to have to be just realistic & accept the fact that the Buffs will be in the North. What we simply have to do is WIN and everything will be just fine. How many of you thought back in 1994 that the Buffs would be in this mess? Just because of what happened in the Big 12 doesn't mean it will happen in the Pac-12. There were more factors related to CU's downfall than just recruiting.

But that could potentially come at the cost of equal revenue sharing, which would make the CA schools (well, the L.A. schools) the clear losers. It's all about compromise.

USC and UCLA's advantage over the Pac-12 schools will shrink but those two still have the history & tradition to win many football games.

Would the Texas schools approve of UO and UW being part of the Big 12 when A&M's AD was strongly arguing against A&M going to the Pac-12 due to travel concerns? It's possible but only to a degree. They can threaten all they want but it won't work for them unless the MWC has a BCS auto-bid but then money will be an issue and even if the MWC gets the BCS AQ, it doesn't mean that the MWC will get a big TV contract. Look at the Big East's TV contract.

Translation: The NW schools aren't going anywhere.

As I said, they have no short term options available. Doesn't mean they won't down the road.

Doesn't really matter though.. its doesn't change the fact that its a bad deal for CU to be put in the north bfor a long list of reasons.

+1 The threats are hollow. They have no where else to go and they know it. They are just moaning so they can get whatever concessions they can.

Sounds like the same viewpoint that the texas schools had with regard to CU and NU not so long ago.

Has anybody proposed a smart division and a retard division? Smart-Cal, Stanford, Colorado, UCLA, Washington, Arizona. Retard-USC, Oregon, OSU, WSU, ASU, Utah.

I haven't taken the time to read this whole thread since it has exploded off the map in just under 5 hours, so sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said. But to Nik's 2nd point about the CCG location, if it's a neutral site then there's not much of a chance that one of the North division cities end up getting the game. Assuming of course that it ends up a North/South split with us in the North along with Utah, the Washington and Oregon schools.

Sounds like the same viewpoint that the texas schools had with regard to CU and NU not so long ago.

CU and NU had two other conferences to choose from while the NW schools don't have any good options. It's either the WAC or MWC for those guys. The Buffs could have even went to the Big Ten along with Nebraska but it doesn't make much sense but it shows that the options are there for the Buffs. You cannot realistically say that about the NW schools.

The problem is money and the MWC won't magically get a $200 million TV contract the instant they are a BCS conference. It doesn't work that way.

This is completely incorrect since we were being courted by the PAC back then and trying to form the Big 12. We had options. I am sure NU did as well. The NW schools have nowhere to go unless a conference decides it wants to stretch the entire country.

Ultimately, folks, I see it like this:

We're out of the Big 12, which means we'll be in a great conference alignment no matter what. The Pac-12 North is decisively tougher than the Big 12 North. There, us (for most of the run) and NU ran the show, with KSU in the mix until Snyder retired. In the Pac North, Washington is a championship legacy like we are, Oregon is the "new money" power school, Utah is on the way to becoming the next Oregon and Oregon State has been pretty tough for awhile now. The only bad team is WSU, and even they have two Rose Bowls in recent memory.

I guess my point is: CU is in the Pac-12 and that's really all that matters. The Buffs will play plenty of games in areas friendly to us and our alumni will have easy access to our games in SoCal, NorCal and Arizona. Plus, we should just feel fortunate enough the program as is was so excitedly offered. We have little room to gripe and the California schools have all the power. CU is a rookie in this league and honestly, we're beggars, so we can't be choosers.

Thinking more about it, I think the perfect setup IS CU and UU in the South, with Cal and Stanford in the North and two protected cross-division opponents. That would mean the Cali schools could all play each other and the Ore/Wash schools still have one guaranteed Cali game a year. The only way this league will be successful is Cali being split up (like it should be in real life, btw). The bonus with that is a USC-Stanford or Cal-UCLA CCGs. Those would be big winners with the league because of those team's rivalries with each other.

All that said, I think CU could cultivate very nice rivalries with the north schools. I think CU wins regardless -- even though the South trail is likely the bigger win.

Ultimately, folks, I see it like this:

We're out of the Big 12, which means we'll be in a great conference alignment no matter what. The Pac-12 North is decisively tougher than the Big 12 North. There, us (for most of the run) and NU ran the show, with KSU in the mix until Snyder retired. In the Pac North, Washington is a championship legacy like we are, Oregon is the "new money" power school, Utah is on the way to becoming the next Oregon and Oregon State has been pretty tough for awhile now. The only bad team is WSU, and even they have two Rose Bowls in recent memory.

I guess my point is: CU is in the Pac-12 and that's really all that matters. The Buffs will play plenty of games in areas friendly to us and our alumni will have easy access to our games in SoCal, NorCal and Arizona. Plus, we should just feel fortunate enough the program as is was so excitedly offered. We have little room to gripe and the California schools have all the power. CU is a rookie in this league and honestly, we're beggars, so we can't be choosers.

Thinking more about it, I think the perfect setup IS CU and UU in the South, with Cal and Stanford in the North and two protected cross-division opponents. That would mean the Cali schools could all play each other and the Ore/Wash schools still have one guaranteed Cali game a year. The only way this league will be successful is Cali being split up (like it should be in real life, btw). The bonus with that is a USC-Stanford or Cal-UCLA CCGs. Those would be big winners with the league because of those team's rivalries with each other.

All that said, I think CU could cultivate very nice rivalries with the north schools. I think CU wins regardless -- even though the South trail is likely the bigger win.

I agree with everything you write -- CU to the South would be a bigger win, but CU to the Pac 12 is still a giant win for the athletic department. If Larry Scott is reading this, though (LOL), we don't want to be in the North.

I agree with sportsfan. its all about recruiting. Thats how those other big twelve south schools got better all of a sudden. Those texas players wanted to play in texas. OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor benefited big time from that set up. Texas and OU will always be good but the others wouldnt have. I promise you if they would have split up some of those texas schools things would have been different

Back