What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assuming Utah goes to the PAC (which is still an assumption)...

Greatest sporting accomplishment other than 1990 NC.

Your last question, you are much better and healthier than our program. We are awful and don't have a lot of hope as long as Hawkins is our coach.

Good stuff, Jimmy. In the Big House, no less.

I can't put my finger on the Hawkins thing. I thought he was a good hire and was sure he'd bring you guys back. What is the problem there. Is it hopeless as long as he's there, or could this move to the PAC infuse some mojo to turn things around while he's there?

Good stuff, Jimmy. In the Big House, no less.

I can't put my finger on the Hawkins thing. I thought he was a good hire and was sure he'd bring you guys back. What is the problem there. Is it hopeless as long as he's there, or could this move to the PAC infuse some mojo to turn things around while he's there?

Its hopeless. Everyone has turned on him and we mock all his dopey Hawkisms. He's proven to be in over his head as coach in the big boy conference. I doubt this will give him any mojo to turn it around. It seems his Boise STate success was due to Petersen and the ability to recruit players that couldn't get into Boulder (academics). Recruiting was strong his first two recruiting years but has tailed off dramatically since then. Maybe being in a West Coast conference will help him more but I doubt he will be the coach once we enter the Pac 12.

Yes, welcome FOU. I think we all are hoping the Utes join us in the Texas-free zone, and look forward to having great competition with you guys. A question for you: What sports, other than football and basketball, does Utah do well? CU has great cross country (Men's and Women's National Champions a couple of years ago) and skiing (16 National Championships), decent Women's soccer, with Women's Basketball and Volleyball both on the re-build. Men's basketball has never been much - other than spot moments here and there (Chauncey Billips-led Buffs beat Bobby Knight-coached Indiana in the first round of the NCAA tournament, losing to Dean Smith's TarHeels in the second round - and a Final Four appearance in the 1950's). However, we do have a pretty nice nucleus of young players returning for a new coach. With a little inside muscle, we could be very competitive in the Pac-12.

My boss is a Ute, and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Look forward to playing the Utes, but we still all HATE red!!!!!!!

Fount you seem like a decent guy and I look forward to vigorous competition with UU. So in the spirit of healthy rivalry...take your ****ty snow and multiple wives straight back outta here. You did pretty good in the MWC but this is BCS ball

So what you're saying is that this is Division 1 football? It's the Big, er Pac-12??? :smile2:

So I get the impression that when he's done being nice, our Ute guest would like to float the possibility of a rivalry between our schools. I'm for it, but based on his input, I'm not convinced he's got what it takes.

So maybe we manufactured a rivalry with nebraska, fine. 20 plus years of that rivalry has left us with certain expectations for the fans of our nemesis.

Perhaps Utah's own Ponce d' Leon wouldn't mind searching our archives on the behavior we've grown to expect. But until he completes that body of work, I've got a few pointers for him. These are based on years of dealing with huskers.

--Show up on our fan sites often to remind us that we're the worse fans anywhere, and that we exhibit no class. Tell us that everybody in the conference agrees. Mention a few "friend-of-a-friend" stories in which somebody's tires were slashed simply for having nebraska (Utah) plates on their vehicle. Don't forget to remind us that you represent the "classiest" fans anywhere, and make sure you do it without any hint of irony. Self-righteousness is the key here.

--Call us all a bunch of pot-smoking, granola-eating hippies. Don't even try to reconcile that image with the notion that we're all violent thugs prone to throwing batteries randomly into crowds. It's just something that is accepted as true. We're all violent thugs AND pot-smoking hippies. Again, self-righteousness is paramount. You've got to get that part down if you want to be our rival.

--If your fans ever post a banner across a local freeway on gameday that disrespects one of our players that has recently died (Sal is Dead go big red), deny that it happened. If Sports Illustrated happens to reference the event than simply dismiss it by pointing out that all schools have some bad fans. And then self-righteously remind us that all of the fans at our school are bad.

--Deny existance of the rivalry often. Do so on our chat sites so we'll see the denial, and understand how strongly you'd like to convey to us, personally, that there's no rivalry. When you meet us in person, remind us that there's no rivarly. Also remind us that we're bad fans for good measure. Tear down your goal posts when you beat us, but be sure to tell us immediately afterward that we don't have a real rivalry. Explain to us (because we're not really very smart on anything related to football) how your school's rivalry with Oklahoma (don't use this tactic if it's not appropriate--I'm not sure if Utah and OU had a rivalry or not, but I'll assume that you did) was a real rivalry based on mutual respect. Also explain that if Oklahoma fans tell us differently, and perhaps suggest that they actually hated your fans and didn't respect them one bit, that they don't know what they're talking about. It was based on mutual respect, dammit, and OU fans are just a bunch of dick-****wads if they suggest otherwise.

--Tell us often how jealous we are of your school. It's important in a rivalry. If we respond by explaining all of the things that we like about our school, be sure to tell us that that has nothing to do with football. And then remind us that we're just jealous.

--Reference your historical football accomplishments often. I'd say the BCS win over Alabama is a nice start, but won't have "aged" sufficiently for another decade. Remember, football is seldom about the present, and all about the past. Unless your team is good at the moment, and then it's about the present AND the past. HOWEVER, if we ever mention some off-field shennagins with high profile team members, or maybe that time your coach hid a gun for a player in a felony charge, be sure to tell us "that was all in the past, and doesn't matter anymore". Don't try to reconcile that past bad things don't count, but past good things do. We've been conditioned to not expect it.

--Threaten to kill members of your football staff often. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the rivalry, except that it gives you the high-ground when discussing who cares about their team more. Similarly, don't participate in outdoor activities, or develop a hobby--it only demonstrates how little you care about your team when you have competing interests (meth is okay as it's technically an addiction and not a hobby). Again, it gives you the high ground. Oh, so does wearing your team's colors every day, and purchasing a car in your team's colors. The point at which you're wearing your team's colors, and driving a vehicle painted in your team's colors, the team's on field accomplishments actually become your own accomplishments. It's kinda like the end of avatar when he abandons his human body for his avatar's. It's hard to explain, though.

--Also, if you actually graduated from the team for which you root, don't bother us. You're not a real fan, since graduates are expected to root for their school. Only those who understand the true sacrifice of humble toil can appreciate sports.

Those are just a few tips. Again, you are encouraged to read threads which feature posts from nebraska fans. You'll pick up on a few of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are just a few tips. Again, you are encouraged to read threads which feature posts from nebraska fans. You'll pick up on a few of your own.

Classic! Good list. Are you guys sure you never played BYU? Maybe NU and BYU traded the douche playbook once upon a time, because you just spelled it out word for word and their act is the exact same.

Don't worry about us being the classiest fans. I know we're not. That's what we've been told, anyway. Case in point:
[video=youtube;uvLdPk-H94Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLdPk-H94Y[/video]

What a great clip! If only he'd finished by saying, "but we don't consider them rivals..."

But if you guys are throwing beer on players' families, and we're chucking marshmallow-filled nails at your fans...it.could.be.awesome!!!

I'm not a big Boondog Saints fan, BUT...remember when the boys finally joined forces with the guy who used to be their enemy (and turned out to be their father), and together they unleased a level of kick-****ing-ass never before witnessed? It could be like that! I'm looking forward to this game.

So I get the impression that when he's done being nice, our Ute guest would like to float the possibility of a rivalry between our schools. I'm for it, but based on his input, I'm not convinced he's got what it takes.

Great points Wally, also remind our new Ute buddy that thousands of citizens of the state must move to Colorado as soon as they can to remind us how great the state they left truly is.

Max Hall looks like he is 26 years old. The NCAA needs to institute a rule where a student is ineligible the instant they turn 24. Think about it, would high school athletics ever stand for letting a bunch of 21 year olds on the field?

Max Hall looks like he is 26 years old. The NCAA needs to institute a rule where a student is ineligible the instant they turn 24. Think about it, would high school athletics ever stand for letting a bunch of 21 year olds on the field?

BYU is notorious for that. Actually Switzer was too, he had a lot of 25-26 year old "student athletes". And of course, there's Chris "Grandpa" Weinke....

Always thought it was cool they had a recent number one pick in football and basketball. I've rooted for Utah as the underdog and really have nothing against them, so it will be hard to start hating, but I think I'll be able to handle it.

Back