What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ASU Depth Chart

I don't believe that anybody made that argument in this thread. S2S said it was open for debate but certainly didn't make the argument.

He keeps bringing it up in every thread about Callahan. Either way, I hope people understand fans put way too much stock into it. Not nearly as important as it is made out to be, at least at the college level.

He keeps bringing it up in every thread about Callahan. Either way, I hope people understand fans put way too much stock into it. Not nearly as important as it is made out to be, at least at the college level.

My main argument is the difference in offenses. The offense Mahlzan has dreamed up is way different than the one we are attempting to implement here.

I am not sure what the big issue is with getting him on the field, but my guess is there is a valid reason. MM doesn't strike me as the guy to play favorites when it costs us wins.

LT Jeromy Irwin - 60.7%
LG Kaiwi Crabb - 61.8%
C Alex Kelley - 55.1%
RG Daniel Munyer - 70.8%
RT Stephane Nembot - 55.1%

Source: Adam on Rivals

This staff is seriously concerning me if they don't see a reason to insert a guy that was 2nd team on a national championship runner up to this craptastic line.

Supports the idea that the team's Give-A-**** meter was running on low for the majority of that game.

This is by no means a comment on Callahan's ability or an attack on a specific member but we need to stop with this narrative about an Auburn LT and national championships etc. Callahan was ONLY second on the depth chart at the point where they had 2 available players listed at his position, he didnt earn #2 and he was promptly expect to be dropped back on the depth chart when players returned from injury and frosh showed up. This line of reasoning is about as solid and saying Beau Gamble was PG2 for us (which yes he was in the game Spencer was injured because he was technically PG3 for the game and we lost Spencer).

The only snaps he took at auburn were OOC snaps against ****ty teams. Callahan was ONLY second on the depth chart at the point where they had 2 available players listed at his position, he dint earn am#2 spot and he was promptly expect to be dropped back on the depth chart when players returned from injury and frosh came in. This line of reasoning is about as solid and saying Beau Gamble was PG2 for us (which yes he was in the game Spencer was injured because he was technically PG3 for the game and we lost Spencer).

Yes. And it's hard to imagine that Callahan is not better than some of these guys.

Source: Adam on Rivals

This staff is seriously concerning me if they don't see a reason to insert a guy that was 2nd team on a national championship runner up to this craptastic line.

Supports the idea that the team's Give-A-**** meter was running on low for the majority of that game.

When you won 2 games the prior season against FBS level competition and just lost to one of those same teams the week before you can't let your G A S meter go down.

I also would love to see how in the world they get their scores. Munyer may have been correct on virtually all his assignments but he spent a lot of time getting run over by UMASS defensive players.

It would be easier to understand their stubbornness about not playing Calahan at tackle if Nembot was playing even decently but that isn't happening. What good does it do if Nembot knows all the plays if he doesn't execute them.

I can understand it taking a guy like Calahan time to adjust to the CU system. As an offensive linemen you can't think at the snap, you have to respond and react instinctively. The CU offensive may require different reactions.

The problem with this argument is that Nembot has been in the system for 3 years and still isn't reacting instinctively. On way to many plays he makes the wrong initial step and never recovers. Calahan may make the same mistake but playing time can help him get over that issue.

You realize the Auburn offense is much more complex, right?

Yeah but in terms of the tackle position don't they option the d end a lot because they have a web that can run so it is a very different blocking scheme I thought

This is by no means a comment on Callahan's ability or an attack on a specific member but we need to stop with this narrative about an Auburn LT and national championships etc. Callahan was ONLY second on the depth chart at the point where they had 2 available players listed at his position, he didnt earn #2 and he was promptly expect to be dropped back on the depth chart when players returned from injury and frosh showed up. This line of reasoning is about as solid and saying Beau Gamble was PG2 for us (which yes he was in the game Spencer was injured because he was technically PG3 for the game and we lost Spencer).

The only snaps he took at auburn were OOC snaps against ****ty teams. Callahan was ONLY second on the depth chart at the point where they had 2 available players listed at his position, he dint earn am#2 spot and he was promptly expect to be dropped back on the depth chart when players returned from injury and frosh came in. This line of reasoning is about as solid and saying Beau Gamble was PG2 for us (which yes he was in the game Spencer was injured because he was technically PG3 for the game and we lost Spencer).

Fair enough, he was LT#3. He was practicing at LT, though, no? They certainly thought he'd be able to play the position or they'd have slid him inside or over to the right side. This apparent notion that Auburn doesn't throw the ball and require their LT to block a speed rusher is perplexing as hell.

I still don't see how he hasn't played a snap yet. Has he? Have we even tried to slide him in there somewhere and try something new? How many trashcan teams will have to plow through our OL before we try a different set of players?

I didn't tivo the UMass game, so I'm relying on others here, but apparently the staff put in Solis for Parker in the second half and it helped immensely. How it took an entire half to do that confuses me as one review of the CSU game was more than enough to see Parker at DT just won't work. Doesn't matter if he knows the assignments really well if he gets blown 5 yards off the ball on run plays. Some positions on this team I concede the staff just doesn't have many options, but OL and DL aren't one of them. LB? We're pretty screwed if those guys can't play. TE we don't really have anyone. But OL and DL there are some options we can try to see how things work. That's my main complaint with Callahan.

you ****s will complain about anything.

for the record delineating between players of the same number is not uncommon and there are rules governing the use of same numbers.
You are off base here when it comes to the plati.

Using race for this is odd and extremely unusual, as noted by the professional who commented on it.

There are better ways, and I think there is nothing wrong with being annoyed about this particular strangeness.

You are off base here when it comes to the plati.

Using race for this is odd and extremely unusual, as noted by the professional who commented on it.

There are better ways, and I think there is nothing wrong with being annoyed about this particular strangeness.

Ok, yeah, you are right - I can only imagine its some dumb gov't rule, if not it is a ****-up for sure.

I retract that post above.

Wasn't Auburns starting LT a top 10 pick in the draft too? Auburn seems to have an eye for talent at the position imo.

Wasn't Auburns starting LT a top 10 pick in the draft too? Auburn seems to have an eye for talent at the position imo.

Keep drinking that koolaide that some magic auburn dust will rub off on CU

And only 4 of the 9 number duplications have skin tone differences negating whatever insights someone deep in the dungeons thought this could bring. I see nothing good coming of this.

In general I am having trouble understanding why it is so hard to at least have a capable offensive line. We haven't had one for years. And now we have numbers and still can't put one together. I really hope it is just youth or coaching and not quality that is the real problem.

Callahan may or may not be better. I guess my point was more that I'm scared that we don't have anyone better on the bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:wtf:

great to live in a post racial society.

While to some degree it's a head-scratcher, it's important to note that the racial descriptors are used to distinguish people from one another--something that can be quite handy (the question here is whether or not its necessary).

It drives me nuts when somebody will go out of there way to NOT describe somebody by their race, when it's the most distinguishing characterisitc of the situation.

"Erm...the guy in the green shirt with brown shoes."

"Ummm, there are three people like that, can you be more specific?"

"Let's see, he's got brown eyes...."

"Oh. The black guy. The only black guy at this party. Is that the person you're talking about?"

We've become so sensitive to race that we are afraid to even acknowledge it. Race exists, and usually manifests itself as skin tone. I'm comfortable discussing race and skin tone.

It's when we make broader assumptions about that skin tone/race that we run into problems in my opinion. That doesn't happen here.

While to some degree it's a head-scratcher, it's important to note that the racial descriptors are used to distinguish people from one another--something that can be quite handy (the question here is whether or not its necessary).

It drives me nuts when somebody will go out of there way to NOT describe somebody by their race, when it's the most distinguishing characterisitc of the situation.

"Oh. The black guy. The only black guy at this party. Is that the person you're talking about?"

We've become so sensitive to race that we are afraid to even acknowledge it. Race exists, and usually manifests itself as skin tone. I'm comfortable discussing race and skin tone.

It's when we make broader assumptions about that skin tone/race that we run into problems in my opinion. That doesn't happen here.

I agree.

I can see the thought process behind them issuing this to the press box to help them recognize players more easily. However, there are names on their backs, and their are duplicate numbers that are the same "skin tone"

Solid logic, poor execution.

I agree.

I can see the thought process behind them issuing this to the press box to help them recognize players more easily. However, there are names on their backs, and their are duplicate numbers that are the same "skin tone"

Solid logic, poor execution.

Which goes back to my question of whether or not it was necessary.

But at least the AD didn't go all Sly on us and assume that athletes of a certain ethnicity who listen to a certain type of music and come from a certain urban background are superior.

I agree. Years ago one of my more politically correct colleagues called a bar, wanting to find out if two more of our colleagues were there. She spent a long time describing them--one is tall and thin, the other is shorter with glasses, etc. Finally, the bartender said "do you mean Steve and Eric, the two black guys?" Indeed she did.

When Steve spoke to her later he told her that it was OK to ask to speak to the black guys at the bar, she wasn't defining him by his race by doing so.

Which goes back to my question of whether or not it was necessary.

But at least the AD didn't go all Sly on us and assume that athletes of a certain ethnicity who listen to a certain type of music and come from a certain urban background are superior.

I don't see how the descriptors are even useful. 1 - It's not like duplicate numbers were issued with race in mind, making sure that if two players have the same number that they're of a different race. 2 - It's not like two players of different races necessarily have different skin tones or that everyone of the same race has the same skin tone.

In other words, it was useless to point out race in this context.

I agree. Years ago one of my more politically correct colleagues called a bar, wanting to find out if two more of our colleagues were there. She spent a long time describing them--one is tall and thin, the other is shorter with glasses, etc. Finally, the bartender said "do you mean Steve and Eric, the two black guys?" Indeed she did.

When Steve spoke to her later he told her that it was OK to ask to speak to the black guys at the bar, she wasn't defining him by his race by doing so.
Unfortunately, that can't be used as a primer for society. While that sort of description might be fine for most people, if even 1/10 people find it offensive, the consequences of offending someone in that respect make it practically mandatory to dance around it.

Also with the duplicates... one is on Offense, the other defense. Shouldn't that be the deciding factor?

I don't see how the descriptors are even useful. 1 - It's not like duplicate numbers were issued with race in mind, making sure that if two players have the same number that they're of a different race. 2 - It's not like two players of different races necessarily have different skin tones or that everyone of the same race has the same skin tone.

In other words, it was useless to point out race in this context.

Someone pointed out that this may be the media version. Race wouldn't always be useful (because as you point out, there isn't always a difference by those who share numbers) but sometimes? I know I'm reaching here.

My broader point is that I'm disinclined to be offended by the topic of race when it centers around the real difference between races--how we look.

Also with the duplicates... one is on Offense, the other defense. Shouldn't that be the deciding factor?

Other than special teams, yeah, that makes it pretty clear. But not as clear as the thing that makes any further descriptors completely unnecessary... CU uniforms friggin' have names on the backs of the jerseys. This was just stupid and made CU look bad. Plati ****ed up. I have no idea what the hell the SID was thinking.

I dont think any of the white people here are offended. I just think it was stupid given the public accusations of racism recently leveled at the school

Fair enough, he was LT#3. He was practicing at LT, though, no? They certainly thought he'd be able to play the position or they'd have slid him inside or over to the right side. This apparent notion that Auburn doesn't throw the ball and require their LT to block a speed rusher is perplexing as hell.

I still don't see how he hasn't played a snap yet. Has he? Have we even tried to slide him in there somewhere and try something new? How many trashcan teams will have to plow through our OL before we try a different set of players?

I didn't tivo the UMass game, so I'm relying on others here, but apparently the staff put in Solis for Parker in the second half and it helped immensely. How it took an entire half to do that confuses me as one review of the CSU game was more than enough to see Parker at DT just won't work. Doesn't matter if he knows the assignments really well if he gets blown 5 yards off the ball on run plays. Some positions on this team I concede the staff just doesn't have many options, but OL and DL aren't one of them. LB? We're pretty screwed if those guys can't play. TE we don't really have anyone. But OL and DL there are some options we can try to see how things work. That's my main complaint with Callahan.
It baffles me that we are discussing where he was at Auburn. He was #2 LT at Auburn in the most recent spring game and played a significant amount in the game. I am not sure what someone was talking about with regards to an injured Auburn player returning or incoming freshmen taking Callahan's position. I didn't realize people on this forum were on the staff at Auburn with all that inside knowledge of the depth chart. The part I feel is valuable is that he played against a 5* DL guy that should go 1st or 2nd round in the draft.
The more important and interesting question is where do you see Nembot or Crabb or any of our starting linemen on an Auburn team. I don't see any of them on an Auburn team. I think at this time it is our OL coach's decision to play 5 year seniors and his Nembot experiment. All reports from practice is that Callahan is the real deal and that he is ready to go. All we can do is wait for an injury or for the stubborn coach to have the light bulb go on and figure out that we need to change this front 5. Until then we can beat that dead horse and I plan on doing that until Callahan gets on the field.:dead-horse-fast2:

Last edited:
Back