What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ASU Depth Chart

Someone pointed out that this may be the media version. Race wouldn't always be useful (because as you point out, there isn't always a difference by those who share numbers) but sometimes? I know I'm reaching here.

My broader point is that I'm disinclined to be offended by the topic of race when it centers around the real difference between races--how we look.

Depends. That type of thing can cross over into caricatures that become offensive. I'm thinking of some old-timey cartoons -- even some that I remember from some of my ethnic studies courses in college where they were supposed to support a PC message of welcome/tolerance with immigration. Any time we generalize, we have to be careful. In the case of this media guide for the game, I don't even know what information was supposed to be imparted by the racial descriptors. The effect of them is that a person would read the descriptor and find it useless... unless that person believes that people look like the Longhorn statues.

It baffles me that we are discussing where he was at Auburn. He was #2 LT at Auburn in the most recent spring game and played a significant amount in the game. I am not sure what someone was talking about with regards to an injured Auburn player returning or incoming freshmen taking Callahan's position. I didn't realize people on this forum were on the staff at Auburn with all that inside knowledge of the depth chart. The part I feel is valuable is that he played against a 5* DL guy that should go 1st or 2nd round in the draft.
The more important and interesting question is where do you see Nembot or Crabb or any of our starting linemen on an Auburn team. I don't see any of them on an Auburn team. I think at this time it is our OL coach's decision to play 5 year seniors and his Nembot experiment. All reports from practice is that Callahan is the real deal and that he is ready to go. All we can do is wait for an injury or for the stubborn coach to have a light bulb go off and figure out that we need to change this front 5. Until then we can beat that dead horse and I plan on doing that until Callahan gets on the field.:dead-horse-fast2:

Those who watched fall practices were impressed by Callahan. He's also a Colorado native son who was a blue chip prospect and came home with a lot of hype. We've also been disappointed by the performance of a couple starters who play positions Callahan is able to play. The grades the coaches have given out agree with what we have seen.

Given all that, it shouldn't surprise anyone that CU fans are calling for him to play.

If I think back to last year, though, it does seem that the coaches will give a veteran starter a few games before jumping a new guy in over him.

Depends. That type of thing can cross over into caricatures that become offensive. I'm thinking of some old-timey cartoons -- even some that I remember from some of my ethnic studies courses in college where they were supposed to support a PC message of welcome/tolerance with immigration. Any time we generalize, we have to be careful. In the case of this media guide for the game, I don't even know what information was supposed to be imparted by the racial descriptors. The effect of them is that a person would read the descriptor and find it useless... unless that person believes that people look like the Longhorn statues.
God I love those statues! You can blame them for me starting to post on allbuffs.

crazy how badly they regressed, grade wise, from week 1.

They didn't regress. The info is from:

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/gameday/2014/custats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

for o-line they show the grade for the game that they played the best in. Each of those grades are against U-Mass, showing they all played better against them than CSU. As a unit they graded out at 60.7 for Umass, or D-, to put it in persepective.

You know they give a lot fewer D+'s than they do D-'s. It's not a grade they like to hand out.

They didn't regress. The info is from:

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/gameday/2014/custats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

for o-line they show the grade for the game that they played the best in. Each of those grades are against U-Mass, showing they all played better against them than CSU. As a unit they graded out at 60.7 for Umass, or D-, to put it in persepective.

You know they give a lot fewer D+'s than they do D-'s. It's not a grade they like to hand out.

Don't know why it says that, but the CSU grades were much better. Irwin and Munyer were in the 80s IIRC and the rest were like low 70s.

Don't know why it says that, but the CSU grades were much better. Irwin and Munyer were in the 80s IIRC and the rest were like low 70s.
Munyer was 90%. Kelley was 80%.

I don't think I've ever seen a 55% grade for a starter at CU. ever. I do know the OL grades for this staff are significantly lower than the publicly released grades from prior staffs.

Do we really think they were putting those racial descriptors in to help differentiate the players? I mean, are we really not going to know which one is Sefo Liufau otherwise?

I question the motivation for including that information. I see Orr's point, that when describing somebody, it's no big deal to say "He's the black guy over there next to the bar". But that's not what is happening here. Reading through that, it's like they are trying to go out of their way to show how inclusive they are by having players from varying ethnic backgrounds on the team. Like that's somehow important.

The thing that makes the OL even more disappointing is that we got suckered in to believing they were pretty good during the preseason due to how well they moved the ball on our defense. Little did we know this was because the DL was bad to epic levels and the OL was poor as well.
:pissed3:

Do we really think they were putting those racial descriptors in to help differentiate the players? I mean, are we really not going to know which one is Sefo Liufau otherwise?

I question the motivation for including that information. I see Orr's point, that when describing somebody, it's no big deal to say "He's the black guy over there next to the bar". But that's not what is happening here. Reading through that, it's like they are trying to go out of their way to show how inclusive they are by having players from varying ethnic backgrounds on the team. Like that's somehow important.

Is this only supposed to help on special teams plays when both offense and defense could be on the field? Lindsay and Witherspoon are both tagged (A) but have very different skin tones. Should Plati convince the staff to dream up light, medium, dark descriptors as well? The whole thing was probably the sports information staff attempting to be innovative and as we've often seen with CU athletics the execution completely missed the mark.

My wife just got an email inviting her to attend Plati's new camp: Racial Profiling 101 for Women.

My wife just got an email inviting her to attend Plati's new camp: Racial Profiling 101 for Women.

Bwaaahhhahahahajaaaaaa!

I will rep this once I am on a browser.

D'oh! Ymssr.

You'll have to settle for some beer at the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back