1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASU thoughts...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Sep 10, 2007.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

The OL is in need of help in the worst way. If CU can't run, Lil hawk is only marginally effective. ASU is a typical D. Erickson team. They try to intimidate. I wonder if that had anything to do with the dropsies. The DL did ok as did the LB's, but the secondary will get torched if they play that soft zone. Any decent college QB will have a field day. Once Carpenter got his head screwed on, he lit CU up.

I doubt HC would have been the difference maker, and even if CU would have caught the 6 dropped passes, 2 for TD's, ASU still probably wins. CU got beat at the LOS, mostly the OL, plain and simple, by the end of the game though, even thought the DL did well, ASU was in control.

I suspected CU would finish the OOC 2-2, here' hoping they prove me wrong. Beat FSU.

2. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Looking at the game, our biggest problem is a lack of depth on both sides of the ball. Running the same 5 guys at Oline all game will not cut it, and trying to put pressure on anyone's QB for any length of time is going to be impossible if we're trying to send the same 6-7 guys all game, (8-9 guys may not have been enough in last weeks heat....)

Additionally, some holes might have opened up saturday if ASU was forced to even moderately respect the long ball. (THAT MEANS BEING ABLE TO CATCH)

3. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Overall, I thought the team played hard but was clearly outmanned. Way too much depth on ASU's side compared to the Buffs. It would have been nice to keep it close with those two TD catches though.

This offense can't be effective if there is no threat of a running game. Sumler seemed like he missed the hole quite a bit, and he's not fast enough to bounce to the outside (this is one area where Charles would help). Also, the playcalling needs to improve to give Cody a chance to succeed. Stop throwing the out route to the other side of the field that requires Cody to throw it about 35-40 yards! He does not have the arm to make that throw and eventually it's going to result in some pick sixes the other way.

4. Waylon Van Smack

Waylon Van Smack #RollJays Club Member

CU's O-line looks thin. QB throws funny, kind of fem.
    CU's D looked good, at times very good but were on the field far to long. CU is not the 10th of 12 from what I am seeing. maybe 6th.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Josh Heupel threw kinda fem. agree about the OL.

6. Pezman

Pezman Member

Couldnt agree more Lefty, the O-line was pathetic. Its not like ASU was blitzing every down, but the way it looked was terrible. The run-blocking is what has me even more perplexed. If ever there was a state of panic in the offensive line, its here with the lack of effort given during run plays.

Was it just me, or did it feel like the ghost of Watson was calling the shots on Saturday? I swear he was there...

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

The things that bothered me the most were the OL play, and the lack of offensive variety. Maybe ASU's athleticism lmited what Helfrich was going to tryt, I don't know.

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Droped balls and inaccurate passes didn't help. This team will get better as it gains experience.

9. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Not being able to run was the most limiting aspect of the play calling. No run game eliminates more than 50% of the play book since a large part of the passing game is enabled by the run being even marginally successful.

I had no problems with the coaching, we had far less talent and lack depth on the talent we do have. Our D was shot 2/3 of the way through the 2nd quarter from fighting battles against a decent O line, our O not using any clock, not enough depth to spell players and the heat.

I was happy with the fire and effort of the players, I didn't see any quit when things got tough. Wide receivers definitely hurt us but didn't lose the game, they will improve. I think we are a couple of recruiting classes away from being on par with anyone, the talent differential was very evident.

10. SoCal Bob

SoCal Bob Member

This was the perfect game to start giving the 2nd string linemen some experience.

Too much humidity to go all the way. The freshmen would have gotten a baptism under fire but at least there would be fresher legs on the line to try and open holes and give cody some protection.

Why didn't we counter az speed with the using TE and FB to block. If we could have sustained even a couple of drives by running for 1st down we could slowed down the asu D and given our D some more recovery time. Helfrich doesn't seem to have a clue and he came from ASU!