What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ASU thoughts...

leftybuff

Unreconstructed Luddite
Club Member
The OL is in need of help in the worst way. If CU can't run, Lil hawk is only marginally effective. ASU is a typical D. Erickson team. They try to intimidate. I wonder if that had anything to do with the dropsies. The DL did ok as did the LB's, but the secondary will get torched if they play that soft zone. Any decent college QB will have a field day. Once Carpenter got his head screwed on, he lit CU up.

I doubt HC would have been the difference maker, and even if CU would have caught the 6 dropped passes, 2 for TD's, ASU still probably wins. CU got beat at the LOS, mostly the OL, plain and simple, by the end of the game though, even thought the DL did well, ASU was in control.

I suspected CU would finish the OOC 2-2, here' hoping they prove me wrong. Beat FSU.

Looking at the game, our biggest problem is a lack of depth on both sides of the ball. Running the same 5 guys at Oline all game will not cut it, and trying to put pressure on anyone's QB for any length of time is going to be impossible if we're trying to send the same 6-7 guys all game, (8-9 guys may not have been enough in last weeks heat....)

Additionally, some holes might have opened up saturday if ASU was forced to even moderately respect the long ball. (THAT MEANS BEING ABLE TO CATCH)

Overall, I thought the team played hard but was clearly outmanned. Way too much depth on ASU's side compared to the Buffs. It would have been nice to keep it close with those two TD catches though.

This offense can't be effective if there is no threat of a running game. Sumler seemed like he missed the hole quite a bit, and he's not fast enough to bounce to the outside (this is one area where Charles would help). Also, the playcalling needs to improve to give Cody a chance to succeed. Stop throwing the out route to the other side of the field that requires Cody to throw it about 35-40 yards! He does not have the arm to make that throw and eventually it's going to result in some pick sixes the other way.

CU's O-line looks thin. QB throws funny, kind of fem.
CU's D looked good, at times very good but were on the field far to long. CU is not the 10th of 12 from what I am seeing. maybe 6th.

Couldnt agree more Lefty, the O-line was pathetic. Its not like ASU was blitzing every down, but the way it looked was terrible. The run-blocking is what has me even more perplexed. If ever there was a state of panic in the offensive line, its here with the lack of effort given during run plays.

Was it just me, or did it feel like the ghost of Watson was calling the shots on Saturday? I swear he was there...

Couldnt agree more Lefty, the O-line was pathetic. Its not like ASU was blitzing every down, but the way it looked was terrible. The run-blocking is what has me even more perplexed. If ever there was a state of panic in the offensive line, its here with the lack of effort given during run plays.

Was it just me, or did it feel like the ghost of Watson was calling the shots on Saturday? I swear he was there...

The things that bothered me the most were the OL play, and the lack of offensive variety. Maybe ASU's athleticism lmited what Helfrich was going to tryt, I don't know.

The things that bothered me the most were the OL play, and the lack of offensive variety. Maybe ASU's athleticism lmited what Helfrich was going to tryt, I don't know.

Not being able to run was the most limiting aspect of the play calling. No run game eliminates more than 50% of the play book since a large part of the passing game is enabled by the run being even marginally successful.

I had no problems with the coaching, we had far less talent and lack depth on the talent we do have. Our D was shot 2/3 of the way through the 2nd quarter from fighting battles against a decent O line, our O not using any clock, not enough depth to spell players and the heat.

I was happy with the fire and effort of the players, I didn't see any quit when things got tough. Wide receivers definitely hurt us but didn't lose the game, they will improve. I think we are a couple of recruiting classes away from being on par with anyone, the talent differential was very evident.

This was the perfect game to start giving the 2nd string linemen some experience.

Too much humidity to go all the way. The freshmen would have gotten a baptism under fire but at least there would be fresher legs on the line to try and open holes and give cody some protection.

Why didn't we counter az speed with the using TE and FB to block. If we could have sustained even a couple of drives by running for 1st down we could slowed down the asu D and given our D some more recovery time. Helfrich doesn't seem to have a clue and he came from ASU!

Back