What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ASU to hire....

Didn't Sumlin inherit a Houston program on the rise and Keenum from Briles? I'd rather hire the guy that built them back up then the guy who inherited that effort.

Briles didn't do Sumlin any favors in the QB department. A certain player by the name of Robert Griffin III, was committed to Briles at UofH. When Briles skipped town and went to Baylor, he convinced RGIII to follow him. Pretty significant 1st recruit...

So you'd rather have Hawk than Peterson?

Difference is that Briles was able to move on and put together winning seasons at Baylor of all places. I wouldn't want him if I was ASU, but I'd sure as hell want him and his Texas HS legend rep if I was Aggy.

Difference is that Briles was able to move on and put together winning seasons at Baylor of all places. I wouldn't want him if I was ASU, but I'd sure as hell want him and his Texas HS legend rep if I was Aggy.

:yeahthat:

Griffin is probably thrilled that he followed Briles. Who knew at the time that Keenum was going to be at Houston until he was 75?

Agree on A&M being better off with Briles, but I would also wonder if they would go after Troy Calhoun if they "miss out" on Sumlin. But I'd rather see Briles win without RG3 before assuming he can maintain his success.

And I bet that Texas Tech is hoping for the same if they ****-can Tommy T next season.

I don't see Sumlin as being a "gimmicky" OC. He ran a pretty traditional offense at OU (for the short time he was there) and at A&M (again for the short time he was there). He did what he had to do at Houston to win, but that doesn't mean he can't run any other offense.

The same thing could be said for Calhoun.

Briles is a damn good coach. The comparison to Hawkins is laughable. If Hawkins had half the ties that Briles has to Texas high school football, he would not have failed at CU.

If Briles does not get scooped up by A&M now, he will get a bigger job sooner rather than later.

Briles is a damn good coach. The comparison to Hawkins is laughable. If Hawkins had half the ties that Briles has to Texas high school football, he would not have failed at CU.

If Briles does not get scooped up by A&M now, he will get a bigger job sooner rather than later.
Good point and you are right. Dude is pretty much a legend in Texas High School. He'd do a great job there.

This will be interesting to see what Jimmy says. He ripped me for suggesting CU going after Sumlin.

Sumlin doesn't impress me especially for ASU. Why get another coach who runs pretty much the same quick spread offense as before?

RichRod will do better at Arizona than Sumlin at ASU

Agree on A&M being better off with Briles, but I would also wonder if they would go after Troy Calhoun if they "miss out" on Sumlin. But I'd rather see Briles win without RG3 before assuming he can maintain his success.

And I bet that Texas Tech is hoping for the same if they ****-can Tommy T next season.

I don't see Sumlin as being a "gimmicky" OC. He ran a pretty traditional offense at OU (for the short time he was there) and at A&M (again for the short time he was there). He did what he had to do at Houston to win, but that doesn't mean he can't run any other offense.

The same thing could be said for Calhoun.

Calhoun has already turned down an NFL head coaching job with the Broncos and a major college head job (Tennnesse). I doubt he leaves AFA, ever.

Edit: to clarify he was not offered those jobs but he was a strong candidate and turned down their interview requests.

Fine with whomever ASU or UCLA wants to hire for that matter. I love the choice we made and feel it will bear fruit in the end.

CU is a specific special location with football roots and identity. I'm more than fine building a defense that knocks the piss out of people, and a rushing offense that will physically punish you, along with sucking the breath out of you at home. Those are staples for Colorado football and the sooner we re-connect with them, the better.

Last edited:
Sumlin_New.jpg

I'm all in with Sumlin....but I don't know about 4 million a year.

Some people are talking Chris Peterson...but we all know what happens with Boise St. coaches.

There just aren't enough "hot" coaches to fill all the empty seats. If Sumlin gets $4mm per year, and it seems likely, then these are some of the reactions you can expect:

Mike Leach: WTF, you mean I shouldn't have jumped at the first job offer?! But I was unemployed and I thought $2+ mill a year was a lot!!!

Dan Guererro (screaming into his iPhone): 5 million! FIVE!!

Chris Peterson: Well in that case....I mean it's not like I really ever had time to go hunting here anyway....

Urban Meyer: Really? C'mon REALLY?

David Joyner: Dayum. I fold.

But in all seriousness, once we as a conference hit the $5 mm/yr mark for HCs, then all sorts of possibilities open up. Guys like Brett Bielema at Wisconsin who would have been considered as stable as granite might become poachable. When you are already making $2.5 mill a year, offers to double that don't come around very often, and they will be listened to.

Koetter built that program. Both of those guys didn't wreck the porsche their daddy gave them. Koetter failed at ASU too.

No he didn't - it started waaayy back when with Pokey Allen who had a great thing going before a cancer diagnosis and a tragic death, followed by everyone's favorite SEC coach Nutt, THEN Koetter, our simpleton, and Peterson.

Pokey got it all started and I think Peterson joined the Boise staff under Nutt, thus providing one common thread...

Looks like ASU is about to be out of luck on Sumlin. Aggie, UCLA or ASU? We all know who is at the bottom of that list.

No he didn't - it started waaayy back when with Pokey Allen who had a great thing going before a cancer diagnosis and a tragic death, followed by everyone's favorite SEC coach Nutt, THEN Koetter, our simpleton, and Peterson.

Pokey got it all started and I think Peterson joined the Boise staff under Nutt, thus providing one common thread...

Finding success in the transition from FCS to FBS is very difficult, and Allen's tragic situation meant he stepped down at Boise when they had literally only played two games as an FBS program ('96). Nutt was only there for 1 year, going 5-6 in '97. Koetter deserves more credit than you give him imo. We could debate all day to what degree the table was set for him, but it was under his watch that Boise took off in FBS.

And while Koetter obviously wasn't successful at Arizona State, he at least had a winning record and took them to four bowl games. More competent than the other clown..

Last edited:
Boise St. made a decision ast least as far back as the mid-eighties to be a FB powerhouse. Their admin. has been supportive of an evironment to foster to level competition since at least the eighties, probably earlier. Their success has been the result of a very long term mindset in the administration to go from an NAIA independent in 1968 IIRC to a D I program competitive nationally. I think they are annoying, but I do admire the implementation of a long term goal and sticking to it.

Didn't Nutt have a losing record at BSU?

They going after fedora after watching this game? "hmm....that coach can beat sumlin so we are getting a steal!"

Didn't Nutt have a losing record at BSU?

Mtn was close above - Nutt went 5-6 in one year at BSU before going to Arky. Thing about that 5-6 record though was that BSU was 2-10 the year before after making the jump to 1-A ball and Nutt beat Wisconsin (along with rival Idaho in same year.) He recruited a lot of the players that started BSU's surge under Koetter which continued under the Simpleton.

EDIT - misquoted - CVille had hammer meet nail with Nutt going 5-6 in his one year.

Looks like its June Jones. Well **** that.

We just re-hired Denis Erickson but with no rings.

June Jones is one of the finest people working in football. He's first class and everyone likes him. Very different than the drunk cheat you had in Erickson.

Quick story on June Jones: He's the guy most responsible for ending Jeff George's career. When JG couldn't get along with June, the NFL gave up on him. The prevailing thought was that if he couldn't play for June Jones, no one would be able to coach him.

Looks like ASU is officially done going after Sumlin

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DouglasHaller/149978

Now they're talking:

Larry Fedora: Southern Miss
Mark Helfrich: Oregon OC
Jim Mora Jr. said he might be interested
a few others.

The odd thing is that during Chip Kellys tenure not one school has ever contacted him to get permission to talk with the assistants. Helfrich does not even call the plays yet as Oregon OC and will not until after this year. My guess is the Oregon assistant who will leave first for another job is Scott Frost. A young up and coming coach who will make a great OC or HC for some lucky school.

Back