1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlons

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Unleash Hell, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Picked up Athlons today, not sure if the tidbits from it has been posted yet.

Their top 25 is

1.Florida
    2. Ohio St.
    3. Oklahoma
    4. USC
    5. Georgia
    6. Missouri
    7. West Virginia
    8. Auburn
    9. LSU
    10. Clemson
    11. Texas
    12. Wisconsin
    13. Kansas
    14. BYU
    15. Arizona St.
    16. Illinois
    17. Tennessee
    18. Texas Tech
    19. Oregon
    20. South Florida
    21. Virginia Tech
    22. Rutgers
    23. Penn St.
    24. Wake Forest
    25. Fresno St

Other Big 12 teams
    31. Colorado
    32. Oklahoma St.
    39. Texas A&M
    41. Nebraska
    64. Kansas St.
    81. Iowa St.
    84. Baylor

Our other opponents
    26. Florida St.
    93. CSU

Tidbits about CU

They have us with 4 projected wins (CSU, E. Wash, KSU, ISU). 6 Toss up games (W. Virginia, FSU, Texas, A&M, OSU, NU). And 2 Losses (Mizzou and KU).

Basically says the buffs will e better (3rd in north) and the main worries are the brutal schedule and pass D. Says CU could surprise this year.

It sounds like most are picking us 3rd in the north, which should be another bowl season. I still am not sold on Kansas being in everybodies top 15. They didn't even play Texas or Ou last year and they get em this year. We'll see.

About Colo

Idot Buff likes this.
  2. Unleash Hell

A few more things

They have D. Scott as the #28 back in the country and he hasn't even played a down yet.

They have Cody Hawkins as the #38 QB in the country.

They say D. Scott is the most likely to make an impact out of all incoming freshman nationally.

3. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Sweet...thanks. Anything about our tight ends?

:thumbsup::lol::wow:

4. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

KU as a definite loss? That's idiotic. If they really wanted to put another definite loss on there Texas or WV would have made about 900x more sense.

5. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat:

6. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

That's 4 top ten teams for the SEC. I don't know about losing to KU even in Lawrence. MU probably yes.

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

That was my thought exactly, that both Texas and WV were closer to being labeled as a definite loss than KU.

Putting us at #31 nationally is higher than I expected. :thumbsup:

8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Both the Texas and West Virginia games are in Boulder this year. The magazines remember what CU did against OU in Boulder last year- so they are considering CU's home games against top competition to be "toss ups".

Kansas beat us last year, in Boulder, and went 12-1 last year with a victory against a pretty good Virginia Tech team in the Orange Bowl, and we play them in Lawrence. Kansas returns pretty much their entire team - so I think they will be heavily favored in the game in Lawrence.

I would say the magazines are going pretty much with the chalk.

9. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

I'm still not sold on Mizzou, I'm just waiting for the Pinkel factor to rear its head once again. If they have a good season this year then I may start to think they have turned the corner. The same thing goes for KU, but I think their season was more of a fluke than Mizzou's.

10. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

I was surprised that CU rates as #31 - higher than expected. I was thinking more in the 40-50 range. Also surprised that Nebraska didn't rank higher than the Buffs - I figured most preseason prognosticators had drunk the Pelini kool-aid, and were expecting immediate results (especially since the Cornhuskers start the season with five straight home games).

Go Buffs!

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Come again?...
    The hawks lost their #1 TB, their #1 WR, their best OT, and of course Round 1 Draft pick Aqib Talib...

and their offense was TERRIBLE in the spring game.

12. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

We never play KU well, especially in Lawrence. We are 2-3 over the last 10 years in Lawrence and 6-4 overall, including an overtime win.

I agree that KU may not match last year's performance and only win 7 games, but you gotta think CU is penciled in as one of those Ws.

13. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Alright, we lost our #1 RB, our #1 CB, our #1 LB and a freshman all-american offensive lineman, and our DEFENSE was TERRIBLE in the spring game.

Neither what you said nor what I said changes the fact that Kansas was a better team than the Buffs last year, as evidenced on the field, and the game in 2008 is going to be played in Lawrence.

i.e. picking the game for KU is a no-brainer to anyone other than those blinded by black and gold glasses.

14. Unleash Hell

I will say that KU was a bit better than the buffs last year, but I want to argue about evidenced on the field.

CU should have beaten KU the last two years, there is no way KU dominated both games. I was at last years game and KU really came away with a lucky win out of Boulder IMO.

Last year
    KU 19 CU 14
    First downs: CU 19 KU 17
    Rushing yds: CU 66 KU 180
    Passing yds: CU 287 KU 153
    Total yds: CU 353 KU 337
    Possesion: CU 30:53 KU 29:07

Year before
    KU 20 CU 15
    FD: CU 19 KU 14
    Rush: CU 172 CU 161
    pass: CU 144 KU 180
    Poss: CU 31:35 KU 28:25

I will say that the KU game this year will be tough, the home team in this series has won 8 out of the last 11 games. SO yes, recent results of this series say KU shoudl win, but I think KU was a fluke last year, they played a joke of a non confrence schedule, they didn't play OU or UT, and they got some lucky bounces which they fed off. I don't think they will have those lucky bounces this year ad they are not as talented as most think. They will lose their first game 3 weeks in when they travel to South Florida.

15. Unleash Hell

It's nice seeing that people nationally are starting to believe in the buffs again and thinking we are a legit contender with top teams. Hawk has doen something Barnett didn't do. He is competing and winning some of the battles with the top teams. Georgia, OU, Bama, etc. He is also doing extremely well in recruiting against the big boys. Nice to see again!:smile:

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

My disagreement stems from the fact that the depth of talent is (finally!) back on the Buffs side. The Buffs are not all the way there yet, but a team like KU, if well coached, CAN have years like last year. They do NOT however, have the talent to replace guys like Aqib Talib and win 10 or 12 games every year like an LSU or OSU.

CU has enough talent to mitigate its losses... KU does not, and like Unleash said, KU has been getting the lucky bounces the last few years. It's time for a change!