What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Attrition, thy name is "CU Buffs 2012 Recruiting Class"

Damn shame and I personally am growing tired of so much attrition. There is always attrition when your talking about testosterone filled teenage young men. The coaching changes not helping either, but damn :wow:

Attrition from the 2011 class wasn't as bad as for 2012.

[strike]Paulay Asiata[/strike]
Brent Burnette
[strike]Jermane Clark[/strike]
Brad Cotner
Malcolm Creer
Brady Daigh
[strike]Stevie Dorman[/strike]
D.D. Goodson
Woodson Greer
[strike]Rashad Hall[/strike]
[strike]Will Harlos[/strike]
[strike]Sherrard Harrington[/strike]
Gregory Henderson
Alex Kelley
Tyler McCulloch
Marc Mustoe
Stephan Nembot
Will Oliver
Juda Parker
Nelson Spruce
K.T. Tu'umalo
[strike]Austin Vincent[/strike]
[strike]Kyle Washington[/strike]

There were some notable players who fell out, but it's not as bad. There is a pattern, though. When CU takes risks on academics, character or injury, our success rate is poor.

In 2010, that was highlighted by Harold Mobley. In 2009 there was Edward Nuckols.

What I'm getting at is that MacIntyre is being very smart about how he is approaching things. The vetting process is as deep as it's ever been. And then guys who may need some time to acclimate are redshirted instead of being rushed onto the field - even if they are good enough football players to help us. That last part should get us past some of the problems we had in the past with guys like J-Fly and Celestine who played when they shouldn't have (i.e., should have sat as frosh for reasons other than football talent). Those problems eroded leadership and team culture.

Now the good news:

MacIntyre signed 21 guys in 2013. We have not lost a single one of those guys to attrition yet. All made it into school. None went down with a career-ending injury. None have been even the subject of a rumor that he might be leaving the program.

Now the good news:

MacIntyre signed 21 guys in 2013. We have not lost a single one of those guys to attrition yet. All made it into school. None went down with a career-ending injury. None have been even the subject of a rumor that he might be leaving the program.

thanks for pointing that out. I was starting to get bummed out this morning. I think retention is key to building a good program. Hawk & Embree were both lacking a decent core of upper-class leaders on the team that knew the expectations, knew the system, and could be examples for the new guys. This has hurt for years. It will take 2 more years for that to fully develop, but it's starting already. Conversely, Neuweasel had all of that in place and running his program for the first couple of years, but it was faltering by the time he left.

And to add to that, I know that Rippy had to go thru a vetting process in order for MacIntyre to accept his transfer. There is a uniform conduct code for all players, irregardless of their High School "star" rating. Applies to study, training, practicing, etc.

Culture shock I know.

thanks for pointing that out. I was starting to get bummed out this morning. I think retention is key to building a good program. Hawk & Embree were both lacking a decent core of upper-class leaders on the team that knew the expectations, knew the system, and could be examples for the new guys. This has hurt for years. It will take 2 more years for that to fully develop, but it's starting already. Conversely, Neuweasel had all of that in place and running his program for the first couple of years, but it was faltering by the time he left.

Absolutely. Getting good character guys in is pretty much the only way to build a successful program. They know the system, can provide leadership and behave appropriately on and off the field. Once you have that foundation in place you can take a chance on some guys, because your program is strong enough to take it... but you can't let inmates run the asylum.

And to add to that, I know that Rippy had to go thru a vetting process in order for MacIntyre to accept his transfer. There is a uniform conduct code for all players, irregardless of their High School "star" rating. Applies to study, training, practicing, etc.

Culture shock I know.

You're trying to make my head explode, aren't you?

Not so much.

Stanford is a very special use case with rampant grade inflation and the ability for even regular students to heavily manipulate their own GPA's by dropping classes very late. They have a significant amount of support for all of their students and very much focus on keeping students in and getting them to graduate. All-in-all what is required of and available to a Stanford athlete is much closer to what is required of their average student just trying to skate by than it is at Cal or Colorado.

Simply getting in is (as it is for the rest of the student body) the chief challenge.

I have heard this repeatedly including from a number of Stanford grads. My point is that succeeding academically at Stanford, CU, or most BCS schools is not an unreasonable burden for someone who is at least a decent student and who is willing to put the work in. At some schools a guy almost has to try not to be successfull (certain B12 schools, cough, cough)

Attrition from the 2011 class wasn't as bad as for 2012.

[strike]Paulay Asiata[/strike]
Brent Burnette
[strike]Jermane Clark[/strike]
Brad Cotner
Malcolm Creer
Brady Daigh
[strike]Stevie Dorman[/strike]
D.D. Goodson
Woodson Greer
[strike]Rashad Hall[/strike]
[strike]Will Harlos[/strike]
[strike]Sherrard Harrington[/strike]
Gregory Henderson
Alex Kelley
Tyler McCulloch
Marc Mustoe
Stephan Nembot
Will Oliver
Juda Parker
Nelson Spruce
K.T. Tu'umalo
[strike]Austin Vincent[/strike]
[strike]Kyle Washington[/strike]

There were some notable players who fell out, but it's not as bad. There is a pattern, though. When CU takes risks on academics, character or injury, our success rate is poor.

In 2010, that was highlighted by Harold Mobley. In 2009 there was Edward Nuckols.

What I'm getting at is that MacIntyre is being very smart about how he is approaching things. The vetting process is as deep as it's ever been. And then guys who may need some time to acclimate are redshirted instead of being rushed onto the field - even if they are good enough football players to help us. That last part should get us past some of the problems we had in the past with guys like J-Fly and Celestine who played when they shouldn't have (i.e., should have sat as frosh for reasons other than football talent). Those problems eroded leadership and team culture.

Now the good news:

I would argue Brent Burnette belongs in the crossed out camp too. I believe he graduated and left the program with a year of eligibility remaining.

I would argue Brent Burnette belongs in the crossed out camp too. I believe he graduated and left the program with a year of eligibility remaining.

I couldn't remember. Regardless, not all attrition hurts the program. :wink2:

I couldn't remember. Regardless, not all attrition hurts the program. :wink2:

Truth.

I miss Sherrard Harrington though. Every class or two we have that one guy who is a Bill Brasky legend before he plays a down.

Truth.

I miss Sherrard Harrington though. Every class or two we have that one guy who is a Lee Foliaki legend before he plays a down.
FIFY

There was a Colorado HS QB from about 10 years that would be even better, I just can't place the name right now.

What was the name of the QB that Skippy was recruiting for us (95?96?) that he called the next "Slash." I think he was from Arizona and was making all kinds of comparisons to him and Kordell. If I remember, he signed with us but never actually made it to school. Wonder what happened to that guy.

Jeremy Wessinger(sp) and he was from Texas. He transfered to Texas A&M and played safety for them his senior year.

Jeremy Wessinger(sp) and he was from Texas. He transfered to Texas A&M and played safety for them his senior year.
Jeremy was a highly touted, dual threat QB, that never worked out, but that's not the guy I was thinking of. I think this kid's name started with a Z or something.

What was the name of the QB that Skippy was recruiting for us (95?96?) that he called the next "Slash." I think he was from Arizona and was making all kinds of comparisons to him and Kordell. If I remember, he signed with us but never actually made it to school. Wonder what happened to that guy.
Zimbalast Carter?

I was going to say Russell Lovett but he was a Barney recruit....

Zimbalast Carter?

I was going to say Russell Lovett but he was a Barney recruit....

Ding ding ding! That was the guy. I remember Skippy gushing about him and on the heels of Kordell's success, he was calling him the heir apparent.

Mitch Cumstein?

Ding ding ding! That was the guy. I remember Skippy gushing about him and on the heels of Kordell's success, he was calling him the heir apparent.
He was in the 1997 class:

David Andrews FB Tuscon, AZ Sabino
Justin Bannan DE Fair Oaks, CA Bella Vista
Damion Barton TB Corona, CA Centennial
Brad Bedell OT Arcadia, CA Arcadia
Albus Brooks FS Claremont, CA Claremont
Kyle Cabral LB Boulder, CO Fairview
Zimbalist Carter CB/QB Riverside, CA Riverside Poly
Cedric Cormier WR Houston, TX North Shore
Dan Graham TE Denver, CO Thomas Jefferson
Ty Gregoriak MLB Spokane, WA West Valley
Andre Gurode OG Houston, TX North Shore
Robert Haas DE Boulder, CO Fairview
Roman Hollowell WR Denver, CO Mullen
Erin Huizingh OT Tempe, AZ McClintock
Johnny Jackson DE San Diego, CA St. Augustine
Cortlen Johnson TB Florissant, MO Hazelwood Central
Miles Koon TE Flower Mound, TX Marcus
Scott Nemeth OLB Aliso Niguel, CA Aliso Niguel
Mark Rockefeller S Colorado Springs, CO Rampart
Victor Rogers OT Federal Way, WA Decatur
Marcques Spivey TB Aurora, CO Cherry Creek
Mike Wambolt C New Hall, CA Hart
Terrence Wood CB Pacifica, CA Archbishop Riordan
Nate Wright CB San Diego, CA Point Loma

I remember Gregoriak being the highest ranked player. So many building blocks for the 2001 team.

Have a friend in Chicago who worked with Zimbalist. Blew my mind when she told me that, one, that he was a real person, and that his name came up in passing conversation.

Last edited:
Back