What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

August 13 Scrimmage

I just got back from the scrimmage. I was there the first hour and a half. Some random observations:

Special teams:

Aric Goodman looked pretty good kicking. I saw him make 38, 48, and 40 yd field goals. He missed once from 45 and a long attempt from 57 yds was on target but just short. His one kickoff went 6 yds deep in the end zone. The other guy I saw kickoff was #30 (Justin Mhalcin?) and he got it to the 5 yard line - Goodman was much better. Aweida missed a 38 yd field goal.

Quarterback:

Cody looked the best passing. I was at the bronco scrimmage last week and I'd say Cody's arm looked better than Orton's :) Hansen had some nice scrambles but misfired a few times. Seems Hansen always wants to make a play scrambling rather than staying in the pocket and pass.

Running back:

Darrell Scott looks like a stud. Didn't do anything spectacular today. One guy I wasn't aware of previously was Quentin Hildreth (#28) I saw Hildreth make a nice catch on the sideline in drills and he had a couple of good runs. He'll be buried on the depth chart behind Lockridge and Speedy, but he looked decent (small quick type of runner)

Wide receiver: Simas had a very nice catch on a long pattern down the sidelines. Simas is easily the most impressive looking buff receiver (too bad he'll be out the first 2). The tight ends as a group looked good and I expect will be a big part of the passing offense.

Oline looked big, dline looked small. Herrod had a good sack on a rush up the middle.

Be nice if Hawkins was more like this guy in the media department

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/35893

Most of the post practice interviews I've seen Hawkins barely tolerates them.
A communicative coach makes a program more fan friendly. Maybe he will lighten up when the program becomes a contender on the national scene again

I think Hawk is feeling the heat on his job right about now. I can't say I blame him.

I think Hawk is feeling the heat on his job right about now. I can't say I blame him.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's time to leave the nice-guy sctick behind and just focus soley on winning. I don't know if it's heat, or just intolerance for distractions.

Winning would take care of that issue. But you're right. Every interview I've heard with Hawk this year has been like what Swish was describing.

I dont understand why everyone is complaining about how "vanilla" the offense was. Did everyone think they were going to show us the gameplan for CSU? I think this scrimmage was just a way to get most of the new/young players up to game day speed, no reason to run our plays that we will use against other teams.

Best news about today, no injuries!

Of course I did not expect them to give us the full gameplan for CSU. I did expect somewhat of an entertaining/fan friendly event. Instead, I was completely bored within 45 minutes and I had to listen to crowd noise blaring out of the sound system for half an hour. Just another odd way to "reward" fans from the AD.

Of course I did not expect them to give us the full gameplan for CSU. I did expect somewhat of an entertaining/fan friendly event. Instead, I was completely bored within 45 minutes and I had to listen to crowd noise blaring out of the sound system for half an hour. Just another odd way to "reward" fans from the AD.

Come on man. You went to watch a practice. Practices are inherently boring to watch. That said, you should count your blessings. I would've loved to have seen it.

Of course I did not expect them to give us the full gameplan for CSU. I did expect somewhat of an entertaining/fan friendly event. I was completely bored within 45 minutes. Just another odd way to "reward" fans from the AD.

Given the scheduling for this (mid-week / middle of the day), it's pretty clear that they didn't want to make this a large turnout event.

Come on man. You went to watch a practice. Practices are inherently boring to watch. That said, you should count your blessings. I would've loved to have seen it.

lest we forget "we talkin' 'bout practice, not a game, practice."

The practice I watched on Tuesday was more exciting. It was fun watching drills. I could have watched them doing drills for three hours at Folsom and been much more entertained. I don't really care that much, just really odd how the AD treats the hardcore fans as a burden.

I can't wait for every media availability this year when someone brings up the phrase "10 wins" and Hawk storms off. I bet "10 wins" is Dan and Misty's safety word.

Goodman looked much better than when we last saw him at Folsom. Had some serious range on FGs and kickoffs, where he was reaching the end zone. I was ready to give a standing O had the 57 made it through.

Cody was really airing it out in the few times he was trying to go deep. My concern was that his shorter passes still lacked zip and hope he's not discounting the speed of Big 12 corners who are going to be feasting on those lobs if he doesn't get his velocity up. Though Hansen may be #2 on the chart, his running impressed me more than the RBs themselves, who I thought performed much better in receiving than on the ground. Hope Hansen isn't our leading rusher this year. The OL wasn't giving as much protection for run or pass as I had hoped, so that was probably the biggest disappointment of this scrimmage. That and the fact that no one was really going for touchdowns, or if they were they were failing. Lot of field goal practice. Hansen's hit, of course, made the trip worthwhile. And Riar Geer's return to form. And just being back at Folsom for some football. Felt good.

After things were done I got up to leave, but lo! I heard Hawk speaking. Must. Listen. I can deal with this guy being short with the media if he spends that communicative energy speaking to his players. I got the feeling they were all buying in on the hard work he was preaching and I'm getting more and more comfortable with the staff he's assembled this season. Clearly there's still a lot of work to do before Sept. 6.

The practice I watched on Tuesday was more exciting. It was fun watching drills. I could have watched them doing drills for three hours at Folsom and been much more entertained. I don't really care that much, just really odd how the AD treats the hardcore fans as a burden.

This was not a scrimmage for the fans. This was not the spring game, it was not advertised, the crowd noise was not meant to be "un-fan friendly" it was meant to be a drill for the offense to deal with later in the season. The AD im sure had nothing to do with making this a fan-friendly event, in fact, I didnt even see Mike Bohn there (its possible he was in Dal Ward).

Given the scheduling for this (mid-week / middle of the day), it's pretty clear that they didn't want to make this a large turnout event.

True dat. Kind of a moot point from here on out anyway since no one can see practices.

Cody was really airing it out in the few times he was trying to go deep. My concern was that his shorter passes still lacked zip and hope he's not discounting the speed of Big 12 corners who are going to be feasting on those lobs if he doesn't get his velocity up.

man, i hold my breath every time we run that slow developing, throw-back across the field to the sideline timing route. that's got pick 6 written all over it. Cody throws a nice ball on that route, but it seems like it's in the air FOREVER.

Though Hansen may be #2 on the chart, his running impressed me more than the RBs themselves, who I thought performed much better in receiving than on the ground. Hope Hansen isn't our leading rusher this year.

i had that same thought and told myself...well Colt McCoy did it....but, wasn't convinced.

small thing - but the comment about Hawk not being friendly? Look, I understand that he's had some curt interviews this off-season, but let's not take these summer sessions and make those out to be the all of him. He's one of the more friendly, outgoing coaches out there - to fans, boosters, teachers, players AND MEDIA. If there's one thing that Hawk does not need to work on, it's his personality and media relations - other stuff is up to debate. Sure, he's had some non-Hawk like interviews - so what? He'll be back loving up the fans and media soon enough.

...unless he loses ten games in a row and gets fired of course.

One thing I will add is that they got both Speedy and Lockridge in space in one-on-one situations on a couple occasions. Please let that happen at some point this season. Talk about matchup issues for the opposing defense.

Also, Sipili looks much slimmer since the end of last season. He was working with Beatty and Smart. Burton, Mohler, and Rippy were working together. Expecting big things out of this group.

One thing I will add is that they got both Speedy and Lockridge in space in one-on-one situations on a couple occasions. Please let that happen at some point this season. Talk about matchup issues for the opposing defense.

Also, Sipili looks much slimmer since the end of last season. He was working with Beatty and Smart. Burton, Mohler, and Rippy were working together. Expecting big things out of this group.
LB's looked good... Speedy pulled a hammy unfortunately, but ya, they are def working on getting those two out in the open. I am just glad Scott didn't get killed doing that ill advised hurdle on Jimmy smith before Jimmy even went down :lol:

Re: August 13 Scrimmage; BOHN IN THE STANDS

This was not a scrimmage for the fans. This was not the spring game, it was not advertised, the crowd noise was not meant to be "un-fan friendly" it was meant to be a drill for the offense to deal with later in the season. The AD I'm sure had nothing to do with making this a fan-friendly event, in fact, I didn't even see Mike Bohn there (its possible he was in Dal Ward).

This was by far the best lunch break I ever had. Watching the Buffs look pretty good. Keep in mind people that this is only the 1st scrimmage of the fall camp. We have 3 weeks to fine tune and get ready for the scrimmage on Sept. 6th against the Fort Collins Community Junior School.

When I was walking out I passed Mike Bohn and spoke with him for about 2 min. Hes really excited for this season as all Buff fans are. I brought up the whole tailgate debacle and he sincerely apologized to me, although I know he doesn't care what a new grad with pretty much zero clout with donations says.

He knows that guys like me will turn into big doners someday and I like the fact that he gives me the time of day everytime I see him. He may make some mistakes but by and large the guy puts his name out there and answers for it when things go wrong.

I am not an appologist of Bohn, just alumnus who thinks that hes doing a better job than Dick Tharp. How many sex scandals have we had with Bohn.

GO Buffs.

Re: August 13 Scrimmage; BOHN IN THE STANDS

This was by far the best lunch break I ever had. Watching the Buffs look pretty good. Keep in mind people that this is only the 1st scrimmage of the fall camp. We have 3 weeks to fine tune and get ready for the scrimmage on Sept. 6th against the Fort Collins Community Junior School.

When I was walking out I passed Mike Bohn and spoke with him for about 2 min. Hes really excited for this season as all Buff fans are. I brought up the whole tailgate debacle and he sincerely apologized to me, although I know he doesn't care what a new grad with pretty much zero clout with donations says.

He knows that guys like me will turn into big doners someday and I like the fact that he gives me the time of day everytime I see him. He may make some mistakes but by and large the guy puts his name out there and answers for it when things go wrong.

I am not an appologist of Bohn, just alumnus who thinks that hes doing a better job than Dick Tharp. How many sex scandals have we had with Bohn.

GO Buffs.

In no way was I bashing on Bohn at all. I would say he was one of the best hires the University every made. As a student, he is always willing to come and sit in the student section at basketball games and he is very fast to reply to emails and is just an all around great PR man for the school.

What I was saying was that it wasnt his job today to make this a family event, it was, by all intents and purposes, just another practice, and not geared for the fans, but instead for the players.

I'm sure if Bohn had his way this would be a Friday Night Under the Lights event or something... he's a marketer. But Hawk wants to keep practices low key, under the radar, and about getting as much work in as possible to prepare for the games. As much as I'd love the opening fall scrimmage to be more of an event, I believe it is the right thing for the compromise to favor Hawk's side on this one.

LB's looked good... Speedy pulled a hammy unfortunately, but ya, they are def working on getting those two out in the open. I am just glad Scott didn't get killed doing that ill advised hurdle on Jimmy smith before Jimmy even went down :lol:

Agreed. Aside from the hurdle, there were a couple other times I thought the guys got a little too rough along the sidelines. They were borderline hits out of bounds.

You don't mean.................Syko-boom and BuffManiac are still loose???

Grab the chilluns and run fer the hills, Ma!:lol:

This from a guy who BLOWS a gasket over cody hawkins and blasting valdezj for something he never said. You just worry about you.

I agree, this was not a "fan" event. The only fan friendly thing they had was 1 concession stand open.

Reminds me. I take back what I said about Hansen's hit being most impressive. That would go to the older fella I saw leaving the scrimmage with 5 empty pizza boxes from the concession stand. Wonder if he had any eligibility left?

So who's going to start at wr opposite mcknight? How's jefferson look? Sounds like ussery and darden didn't see much action.

First scrimmage, no worries.

So who's going to start at wr opposite mcknight? How's jefferson look? Sounds like ussery and darden didn't see much action.

First scrimmage, no worries.

Since Simas is a no-go and Simmons probably won't be up to speed for the first game, I am going to side with those who think Jefferson's ready. He was worked in a lot during the scrimmage and definitely has the hands to play immediately. Not a situation you'd hope for with two potential receiving freaks being sidelined, but he's a much better option over Espy, Ham and Maxwell by committee for that other WR slot. Ussery and Darden have a definite size advantage, but from the looks they got today I'm not sure they're being put on the fast track like the coaches have Will-Jeff. Darden had a catchable ball thrown his way near the end that he kind of whiffed on. Only time I really saw either with a good opportunity today.

Back