1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Austin sports columnist: "70% chance UT moves to Pac, 30% chance it stays"

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Aug 31, 2011.

  1. Jens1893

    Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Messages:
    33,848
    Likes Received:
    3,203
  2. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

    Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,553
    Likes Received:
    207
    The OU media hacks were saying they expect OU, OSU, Texas and Texas Tech to be going to the Pac 16 pretty soon.
     
  3. Tractor

    Tractor Club Member Club Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,898
    Likes Received:
    307
    If they're saying by next year, they're dumb. If they're saying 2014-2015, I'd say that's about right.
     
  4. RK

    RK UBL Club Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    Messages:
    4,920
    Likes Received:
    474
    God damn it. Leave us alone tejas and any other b12 schools, we left you for a reason!
     
  5. Shldr2Shldr

    Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Messages:
    16,808
    Likes Received:
    4,971
    No way Texas and TT come in unless the whorns agree to play ball, the commish has said so repeatedly. They will have to turn over their network to the Pac-12 Network and it will become another region and Texas has to agree to equal revenue sharing. No if's and's or but's. Plus if it comes down to it I dont think the pac-12 ad's want Texas at this point in time anyway.
     
  6. XIIfan

    XIIfan Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    185
    Likes Received:
    13
    So what happens to the UT-ESPN orgy network? Also read this morning that OU is trying to launch an in-house Sooner network. This can't be good for the PAC.
     
  7. Shldr2Shldr

    Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2011
    Messages:
    16,808
    Likes Received:
    4,971
    Scott has said that school specific networks will not be allowed in the Pac. UT has to get rid of theres and OU has to scrap any ideas it has.
     
  8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

    Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,553
    Likes Received:
    207
    So assume for the sake of argument that Texas agrees to all that. Agrees to give up the network, agrees to equal revenue sharing, etc. If they agree to all that, they are a shoe-in for conference membership.

    Would that make a pod of OU/OSU/UT/TT? Then a pod of CU/Utah/Arizona/Arizona State, a pod of USC/UCLA/Cal/Stanford, and a pod of Oregon/Oregon State/Washington/Washington State?

    Personally I would like that pod for CU. Play the 3 other teams in your pod head-to-head, and play two games against each other pod (1 road and 1 home) = 9 conference games. Does that sound about right?
     
  9. buffedup

    buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Messages:
    7,524
    Likes Received:
    808
    :dead-horse-fast2:

    God this has been covered to death already!
     
  10. GoBuffs08

    GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4,798
    Likes Received:
    634
    You forgot to add Baylor. They are the big fish in any PAC12 expansion.
     
  11. fervorfactor

    fervorfactor Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    739
    Likes Received:
    35
    The complete arrogance of the UT crowd continues to amaze me! Do they not understand they would need to be invited? Jerkwads.
     
  12. superdeluxe

    superdeluxe New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    3
    Bob Stoops talking about his love for a Pxx compared to a B12-3:

    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...id=202&articleid=20110831_202_B1_NORMAN365879

    "Think about it," Stoops said. "A (league) championship game in the Rose Bowl, going to USC to play, the Rose Bowl and playing UCLA (the storied stadium serves as the Bruins' home field) ..."
     
  13. Hank

    Hank Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    Messages:
    6,511
    Likes Received:
    152
    That would not be a bad set up for CU.

    Still don't get the value of TT.
     
  14. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

    Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,553
    Likes Received:
    207
    Texas Tech probably doesn't add any value, but I anticipate that UT will have to bring someone along for the ride, just as OU will have to bring OSU.
     
  15. The Guest

    The Guest Guest

    Yep, sounds like fun, Bob. Was it White that threw 23 interceptions in that bowl game?

    [​IMG]
     
  16. Quattro

    Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    Messages:
    26,503
    Likes Received:
    761
    That'd be a terrible set up seeing as how we essentially get tossed out of the California footprint.
     
  17. Buffnik

    Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    80,486
    Likes Received:
    16,063
    Big 10 would be smart to move on Kansas, Missouri, Notre Dame and Maryland.

    SEC would be smart to move on owning the south by taking Florida State, Virginia Tech and either North Carolina or NC State.

    Pac would be smart to move on OU/OSU/UT/TTU.

    Remaining ACC and Big East (football) should merge.

    MWC should add ISU, KSU and Baylor in hopes that it can gain BCS status.
     
  18. dio

    dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2007
    Messages:
    30,071
    Likes Received:
    2,465
    I don't see Utah, CU and ASU voting for this. The swing vote is Arizona. These schools don't want to lose out on playing in Cali every year.
     
  19. Matt

    Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2015
    Messages:
    8,028
    Likes Received:
    770
    I don't like the idea, I get a feeling if it does happen it would be like we just joined the Big 12 south.
     
  20. BinaryBuff

    BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Messages:
    1,578
    Likes Received:
    64
    I really don't want this, especially not so quickly after we just joined the Pac. I was hoping that we could get back on our feet and firmly established (both in terms of winning and recruiting CA) before having to deal with the possibility of UT and their minions. If this does happen, I'd really hold out hope for the pod system over getting lumped in the 8 team division with Texas.
     
  21. wsp4820

    wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Messages:
    24,205
    Likes Received:
    1,543
    **** this noise. That is all.
     
  22. superdeluxe

    superdeluxe New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    3
    All would be resolved if we had four pods
     
  23. Quattro

    Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2010
    Messages:
    26,503
    Likes Received:
    761
    Only if Utah, ASU, UA, and CU all have access to California every year.
     
  24. Tractor

    Tractor Club Member Club Member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1,898
    Likes Received:
    307

    :bang:


    :lol:
     
  25. Buffnik

    Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    80,486
    Likes Received:
    16,063
    The pods would give that, although it would be a game in Northern California in 2/4 years and a game in Southern California in 2/4 years. I think our current setup gets us to NoCal in 2/3 years and SoCal every year.

    The advantage is that we'd also get a game in Texas every 2/4 years as well as a game in Oklahoma in 2/4 years (which is pretty solid for recruiting too).
     
  26. NashBuff

    NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    3,909
    Likes Received:
    57
    No Pac-16 unless we get pod scheduling.
     
  27. Bone Buff

    Bone Buff Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2005
    Messages:
    2,380
    Likes Received:
    101
    No chance in hell Texas gives up the Longwhorn network.
     
  28. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

    Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,553
    Likes Received:
    207
    CU would still play in California if there was a pod system. They would play in California at least once every season, assuming one of the pods included all the California teams.
     
  29. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

    Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    12,553
    Likes Received:
    207
    One of the problems with adding the Big 12 schools is that the conference will be composed of three time zones - Central, Mountain, and Pacific. That could create some scheduling problems. A 2:30 time slot in California is a 4:30 time slot in Oklahoma/Texas. A 6:00 pm time slot in California is an 8:00 pm time slot in Oklahoma/Texas.
     
  30. Buffnik

    Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    80,486
    Likes Received:
    16,063
    I think that Larry Scott and the tv networks see that as a positive. It would mean that a good chunk of programming would be accessible in the east and also that they'd have games starting in more time slots. Kind of like how the NFL has its early game and late game every Sunday. The Pac-16 could offer that plus a night game every Saturday and each one would likely have a prestige or ranked program playing.
     

Share This Page