What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Back from the scrimmage

yes and yes. no issues getting the offense running.

Also, Speedy had a SICK block on a passing play. an LB was coming through a big hole (think it was 2nd team D, not sure) and speedy cut blocked him and you could hear it all the way across the field. Allowed Ballenger to make the play. Great to see in a frosh!

Like I said, it was tough to see everything that was going on today. Regardless, I still think comparing Bernard Jackson to Ballenger is way off.
I never did that! Ballenger looks way way way better then Bjack. Throws a pretty ball. He just did not look comfortable in the offense yet.

The Post reported that Sumler is the starting RB. Not sure how they found that out or if it's really etched in stone yet?

Like I said, it was tough to see everything that was going on today. Regardless, I still think comparing Bernard Jackson to Ballenger is way off.

The only comparison I was making is that he ran way to often. I made no comparison to his build against BJax, or his arm. All I said was if someone wasnt open right away, he took off, similar to what BJax used to do.

Tyler Hanson is going to be a stud for the Buffs when he get's his progressions and reads down. He has a live arm, great elusiveness and seems to already have the respect of his teammates. He's a lot bigger than I thought he was as well.

Patrick Mahnke is going to play this year and I think he'll be a special teams stud with some spot duty on D. He has a nose for the ball.

A few more thoughts form the scrimmage

-Not sure if it's the interior d-line or the lack of experience from the guards, but running inside was pretty non-existent against the 1st team D. I think part of this is because Hypo/Nichlas are so good but I also think that the OL has to hold there blocks just a little longer with everything being out of the gun.

-Special teams play seemed improved, sort of. The KOR's were pretty strong. Again, a case of 1s vs. 2s? I'm not sure but either our KOR team is really good or we've got some containment issue with the KO's team. I do think that they were having the kickers kickoff a little short so that they could actually get some returns in. Both Goodman and Davis have the leg to kick pretty consistent touchbacks. Aside from Josh Smith PR, the punt coverage teams did pretty well.

-We are big and fast. It's been said here before, but this is probably the biggest and fastest team since 2002. Not ready to say since 2001 because there were some hosses on that team.

-There was some banter during the first series between Collins and Hawkins, shouting at each other from the opposite sidelines. Cody was the only QB that was not live, and he scrambled for a big gain where the D just put a hand on him but the whistle never sounded so Cody kept going. Collins started yelling over to Hawk and the Refs "What's the format here? I thought Cody wasn't live? What's the set up here?" To which Hawk replied "You see the gold jersey, you know the setup!"

-There was a play where some one (Hansen maybe) was hit along the sidelines and the refs called a late hit. Hypolite, standing on the opposite sideline starts yelling "You kidding me?! He barely touched him!" Kinda funny since it was a teammate that was hit late and out of bounds.

-Great turnout....which meant at times it was tough to see, especially when the action was right in front of us. We were at the south 40-45 yardline so unless the play was from either 30 and in, the players blocked the view. It was great to see that many people come out and watch a scrimmage. There was a buzz in the crowd. I was also standing next to Curtis Cunningham's parents. I was shocked at how small, relative to their son, they are. Dad's no bigger than 5-10 and mom might be 5-7ish and they are not big people at all. Sounds like, and not a surprise to any of us I don't think, but Curtis will redshirt barring injury.

Last edited:
Just looking at the scrimmage stats I've seen that Goodman is 8-8 on PATs and 5-5 on FG's with 3 of them being around 50 yards. I know its too early to tell just how good this kid will be but it would be great to have another money kicker.

A few more thoughts form the scrimmage

-Not sure if it's the interior d-line or the lack of experience from the guards, but running inside was pretty non-existent against the 1st team D. I think part of this is because Hypo/Nichlas are so good but I also think that the OL has to hold there blocks just a little longer with everything being out of the gun.

-Special teams play seemed improved, sort of. The KOR's were pretty strong. Again, a case of 1s vs. 2s? I'm not sure but either our KOR team is really good or we've got some containment issue with the KO's team. I do think that they were having the kickers kickoff a little short so that they could actually get some returns in. Both Goodman and Davis have the leg to kick pretty consistent touchbacks. Aside from Josh Smith PR, the punt coverage teams did pretty well.

-We are big and fast. It's been said here before, but this is probably the biggest and fastest team since 2002. Not ready to say since 2001 because there were some hosses on that team.

-There was some banter during the first series between Collins and Hawkins, shouting at each other from the opposite sidelines. Cody was the only QB that was not live, and he scrambled for a big gain where the D just put a hand on him but the whistle never sounded so Cody kept going. Collins started yelling over to Hawk and the Refs "What's the format here? I thought Cody wasn't live? What's the set up here?" To which Hawk replied "You see the gold jersey, you know the setup!"

-There was a play where some one (Hansen maybe) was hit along the sidelines and the refs called a late hit. Hypolite, standing on the opposite sideline starts yelling "You kidding me?! He barely touched him!" Kinda funny since it was a teammate that was hit late and out of bounds.

-Great turnout....which meant at times it was tough to see, especially when the action was right in front of us. We were at the south 40-45 yardline so unless the play was from either 30 and in, the players blocked the view. It was great to see that many people come out and watch a scrimmage. There was a buzz in the crowd. I was also standing next to Curtis Cunningham's parents. I was shocked at how small, relative to their son, they are. Dad's no bigger than 5-10 and mom might be 5-7ish and they are not big people at all. Sounds like, and not a surprise to any of us I don't think, but Curtis will redshirt barring injury.
Ya I know I've seen them before. Looks like an average size family.

I think that Cody is a really good QB. I know his interception numbers were up there last year, but how many of those hit receivers in the hands and then ended up in a defenders arms? I counted at least two the other day when I was rewatching the 2007 OU/CU game. Not sure, but didn't the same thing happen vs Alabama? Anyone else see these or have a better memory than me?

I think that Cody is a really good QB. I know his interception numbers were up there last year, but how many of those hit receivers in the hands and then ended up in a defenders arms? I counted at least two the other day when I was rewatching the 2007 OU/CU game. Not sure, but didn't the same thing happen vs Alabama? Anyone else see these or have a better memory than me?
that bama game was cody in a nutshell. First pass of the game was awful. Then he leads the team back from certain humiliation into the land of a comeback that would have broken records. Unfortunately it fell just short.

Thanks JJ! For those of us who had a honey-do list to fill, your rundown was a needed Buff-Fix!

Back