1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup safeties

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

So Anthony Perkins will enter the season as a backup to Walters, but who is backing up Dykes? Do we see Mahnke a bunch this year?

Depth is still a concern, and also going forward, considering we lose both starters after this year.

Thoughts?

2. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Club Member Club Member

Our secondary is going to be hurting I think with not very much depth. A major concern more at CB I think that safeties.

3. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think we are in a lot better shape at corner especially with depth. But you are right our secondary has some things to prove.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I'm with 1414 on this one. I like the kids we have at Safety. Losing Walters next year will hurt. We'll obviously not be better without him. But i like the progress Anthony Perkins has been making. I am still high on Mahnke also. It's too early in practices to gauge anyone fairly. But i'm more concerned with our CB's. G McKay has been doing well, and so has Jimmy Smith. But i still have my doubts with Smith. I also think we can shift some guys around also.

5. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Club Member Club Member

Another reason I am worried about our CBs are that the Big 12 have the best Quarterbacks in the nation. It really hurts us on the one on one matchups. Although the safeties are part of the secondary they don't usually man up with someone. I think that our secondary will improve as the season goes on. Another point is that a lot of Big 12 teams are nervous about their secondary cause of like I said before, the BIg 12 is loaded on the offensive side. Be ready for a good season! GO BUFFS!

6. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Our CB's will have to grow up fast, but I do believe we will be OK at the Safety position. I'm not sure how many teams (if any) are returning both starting corners. So as you said earlier, the Big 12 is pretty loaded with offense and I'm sure we will give up a few here and their, but our guys won't be the only one's with the nickname TOAST!

7. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything or seen anything from Ewing?

8. Unleash Hell

valdez, why do you have your doubts with Jimmy Smith? He has never started a game, and he's only a sophomore, but he had the momentum changing INT for TD last year vs. Nebraska. The BDC article on him he said his goal is to be All Big 12 in his first year starting.

9. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think you answered your own question here.

10. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hawk was quoted today as saying that Mahnke will probably not redshirt. Hawk's been impressed with Patrick's special teams play (he was a ST teams demon in HS) and he's showed well in fall camp so far

11. Unleash Hell

But everytime valdez talks about Jimmy Smith, he says he has doubts about him. I'm just curious as to why. It seems theres more than just his inexperience they way he talks about him. I think he has shown promise with his limited play. Thats what I meant about it.

12. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

It just my opinion. That's all.

13. Unleash Hell

ok, thanks