What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bad News - Winfree to miss season with torn ACL

I feel bad for Juwann. I hope he recovers fully and becomes the player we all hope he can be. Godspeed, Juwann.

Can we stop with the whoa is us **** though? This happens to every team, every year. The good teams can overcome it with depth and character. I hope we are closer to being able to do this as well.

Already the self-pity and excuses have arrived, and CU has yet to lose a game. We lost a guy with great potential for this season. We have had plenty of guys with potential, never get hurt, and still never make an impact. I can't see this as a key loss since he's never caught a D1 pass.

I'm going to root for my Buffs and expect them to overcome some adversity. This is not an excuse or free pass for the season.

Sorry for the soapbox. I just really get annoyed when I read this whoa is us we can't catch a break bull**** every season.

Can't wait to see Juwann in '17.
Maryland isn't D1?

He'll be back stronger and better next year.

Bobo lacks the explosiveness/athleticism to be a big time college WR.

I agree. My disrespect for this WR group has pissed off many on here, and I will try to use a less offensive tone to spark some discussion. The fact that we brought in 5 WRs speaks volumes doesn't it? And we are going after lots more this cycle! Clearly an upgrade opportunity. To me, this is where we stand out as "not as good' as our peers. Our foes have much more explosive athletes on offense than we do (thru 2015). Duff and I have had the long running argument on stars and rankings. One thing we agree on: that there's a few positions that its hard to develop guys, you just really need raw athletic talent to start with. Freaks help. I get concerned hearing that Bobo is now the solution.

My thoughts from day 1 on this group from last year is "GUYS DON"T GET OPEN" and it's a big problem. We lack explosiveness and the ability to get open. Bobo may improve in year 4 enough to be an asset, but I am concerned with his ability to get separation, especially in the PAC12. Can he "GET OPEN"?

Fields had a decent year. I got attackeded for basically that. I think the Chiv video today supports my assertion that he's got a ways to go to be a top Pac12 receiver. Not what most teams are featuring as their #1 threat. Maybe truly a slot elsewhere? I like Shay, but he's not (yet) causing DCs to go sleepless.

Winfree appeared to be one answer, I had high hopes. I think guys were expecting too much too quick (all-B1N-Frosh at Maryland, but only catching 12 passes iirc). But I did expect him to be an upgrade and continuously improve throughout the season under Chiv. Most expected him to give us the instant shot of playmaker we needed, and I think that was likely, but not yet a fact.

Ento is skinny, very athletic, but I'd consider him more raw for a Juco guy. I don't think that he got high level coaching before getting here. Kid has a nice ceiling. I actually wondered if he might redshirt after seeing him this spring. Not sure where he's at, but redshirting is out of the question. Will he be able to get open against physical press coverage? Color me concerned.

Huntley has the size and physical maturity to give a bunch of ABers early camp Chubs. But there's a lot to absorb and hone before he's an everyday PAC12 WR. Chiv basically said that today. He's physically ready but lots of learning ahead. We will see how effective he is against top tier DBs. I'd guess he will struggle to get open.

Julmisse sounds like a playmaker, but as you heard from Chiv, they will have to keep it to a "15 plays" or something with this kid because he can't absorb it all in just a few weeks. He will play. He will be green.

Walker and Jan appear to be passed up. I have Rakestraw redshirting, not as physically ready as Huntley and Julmisse.

I'm hoping we are ok at slot with Ross and JayMac.

So while I don't know how big a blow losing Winfree is, my instincts are that it's big. I don't consider us "loaded" at WR. I consider it a big problem position that we brought in at least 5 new guys to try to upgrade the position. I like what coaches did but I'm not feeling that we are loaded. We will have some young guys getting a lot of PT.

Might we see Udoffia or Blackmon move to O?

Last edited:
I won't disagree, you bring up several good points.

I will say tho that I think bringing Ento in was more of a "holy cow, we need help in the redzone...hopefully he brings more..but holy cow we need help in the redzone," take. And he looks ready to contribute there at the very least! I also don't think we liked our chances with Winfree at the point of taking Ento, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Then Winfree switched to us which seemed to be a result of Chev as well as Webb's efforts. That felt like a BPA who could potentially help in every possible facet, including his height and strength in the redzone.

I really didn't get the vibe that they don't trust our WRs, but you make valid points.

Generally yes. But that is why we fired our last coach.Too dam many players hurt all the time. Proper stretching and even workouts helps prevent these freak injuries. Then again I guess he as really only been there actively coaching for a few weeks?
Weird. I thought we fired our last coach because we were the worst team in D-1 football.

You should be removed from this forum. You have obviously never played a sport in your life. Here is a little reading for you.

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_acl-injury-prevention-stay-off-sidelines.asp
Holy s.hit! This is why we have ACL tears!! We are not stretching enough!

Why didn't anybody think of this before?!? This is the answer to all our problems. And every NFL team and college program, too. This link has all the answers that nobody, ever thought of.

Thank you!

WTF?

1135ed19e460125f_bono.jpg
Why do I have the feeling that you had this qued up, just waiting for the right moment? I also hope you had safe search on, or off if you're into that kind of thing, not here to judge bro.

I agree. My disrespect for this WR group has pissed off many on here, and I will try to use a less offensive tone to spark some discussion. The fact that we brought in 5 WRs speaks volumes doesn't it? And we are going after lots more this cycle! Clearly an upgrade opportunity. To me, this is where we stand out as "not as good' as our peers. Our foes have much more explosive athletes on offense than we do (thru 2015). Duff and I have had the long running argument on stars and rankings. One thing we agree on: that there's a few positions that its hard to develop guys, you just really need raw athletic talent to start with. Freaks help. I get concerned hearing that Bobo is now the solution.

My thoughts from day 1 on this group from last year is "GUYS DON"T GET OPEN" and it's a big problem. We lack explosiveness and the ability to get open. Bobo may improve in year 4 enough to be an asset, but I am concerned with his ability to get separation, especially in the PAC12. Can he "GET OPEN"?

Fields had a decent year. I got attached for basically that. I think the Chiv video today supports my assertion that he's got a ways to go to be a top Pac12 receiver. Not what most teams are featuring as their #1 threat. Maybe truly a slot elsewhere? I like Shay, but he's not (yet) causing DCs to go sleepless.

Winfree appeared to be one answer, I had high hopes. I think guys were expecting too much too quick (all-B1N-Frosh at Maryland, but only catching 12 passes iirc). But I did expect him to be an upgrade and continuously improve throughout the season under Chiv. Most expected him to give us the instant shot of playmaker we needed, and I think that was likely, but not yet a fact.

Ento is skinny, very athletic, but I'd consider him more raw for a Juco guy. I don't think that he got high level coaching before getting here. Kid has a nice ceiling. I actually wondered if he might redshirt after seeing him this spring. Not sure where he's at, but redshirting is out of the question. Will he be able to get open against physical press coverage? Color me concerned.

Huntley has the size and physical maturity to give a bunch of ABers early camp Chubs. But there's a lot to absorb and hone before he's an everyday PAC12 WR. Chiv basically said that today. He's physically ready but lots of learning ahead. We will see how effective he is against top tier DBs. I'd guess he will struggle to get open.

Julmisse sounds like a playmaker, but as you heard from Chiv, they will have to keep it to a "15 plays" or something with this kid because he can't absorb it all in just a few weeks. He will play. He will be green.

Walker and Jan appear to be passed up. I have Rakestraw redshirting, not as physically ready as Huntley and Julmisse.

So while I don't know how big a blow losing Winfree is, my instincts are that it's big. I don't consider us "loaded" at WR. I consider it a big problem position that we brought in at least 5 new guys to try to upgrade the position. I like what coaches did but I'm not feeling that we are loaded. We will have some young guys getting a lot of PT.

I can see your argument but I have to disagree; first with Duff, if Bobo lacks the explosiveness and athleticism then wtf would you say about Spruce besides he's an NFL receiver. Yes they play a different style but Bobo has more talent in his left toe than Spruce will ever have. Second, what else do you want from our receivers - all to be NFL first rounders that's not going to happen NOT to any team much less us. I really don't see a big difference between our group and other Pac 12 groups say for one guy. I do see a difference in offensive scheme and I believe that is what Chev was hired to fix. Texas Tech isn't send any receivers to the league.

On the other hand I am very upset to hear the Winfree news, he was going to be a key piece. Maybe this puts Julmisee on the O and could put the ball in one of the most talented guys hand which I believe we need to do.

I think Chev is going to show he's a better position coach than Walters at the college level. I expect him to reach more guys who aren't the self starter craftsman types.

Ok I'll agree he's got a little more talent than Spruce
Spruce is immensely talented and proved it, you don't fall out of bed and land in the NFL. Being faster doesn't make someone more talented. This is defending Spruce not knocking Bobo, Bobo has 2 seasons to show what talent he has.

I think Chev is going to show he's a better position coach than Walters at the college level. I expect him to reach more guys who aren't the self starter craftsman types.
Chev can rah rah better and pump guys up and he was a technically sound player. I too look forward to the results he produces.

It is about working out and being well rounded and doing things proper. We had tons of injuries and players were re-injuring
Holy s.hit! This is why we have ACL tears!! We are not stretching enough!

Why didn't anybody think of this before?!? This is the answer to all our problems. And every NFL team and college program, too. This link has all the answers that nobody, ever thought of.

Thank you!
I don't even know where to begin with your ignorance. So I won't.

I was talking about Bono. I have been a fan of Bobo since he was a recruit, and no, he is not immensely more talented than Spruce.
Bono? He may be more talented than Spruce. Edit - I missed the earlier call out on Duff's typo.

Forgot to ask, is BuffsNation the guy now running the Rivals site?

Bono_U2_360_Tour_2011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally yes. But that is why we fired our last coach.Too dam many players hurt all the time. Proper stretching and even workouts helps prevent these freak injuries. Then again I guess he as really only been there actively coaching for a few weeks?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son (unless its Palazzo, then its a feature, not a bug).

Fields had a decent year. I got attackeded for basically that. I think the Chiv video today supports my assertion that he's got a ways to go to be a top Pac12 receiver. Not what most teams are featuring as their #1 threat. Maybe truly a slot elsewhere? I like Shay, but he's not (yet) causing DCs to go sleepless.

Yeah, semi-agree with some of your analysis, but the WR group as a whole, has been severely under-coached by a highly over-rated asst. for the last couple of seasons. And that was compounded by the "weird science" at S&C, which was also rectified for WRs (and the team as a whole).
Chev was brought in as much for that, as for his OC/recruiting chops. I expect a large upgrade at WR just from the improved coaching.

Can we stop with the whoa is us **** though? This happens to every team, every year. The good teams can overcome it with depth and character. I hope we are closer to being able to do this as well.

Bolded: Thats not us. We have pretty much the same group we did last year. None of which did much that was memorable. Hopefully one or two of them are now a little wiser and with the arrival of Chev a bit better coached up. Thats the *hope* we have to have.

For JW I wish a speedy and complete recovery.

Last edited:

First of all, we fired our previous coach because he lost to a lower division program. Lost situational awareness in games, including going for it as if it was 4th and 1 but the refs had given him the first down. And then finally, despite mounting evidence at the end of the 2nd, he refused to shake up his staff.

In other words;
...we fired our last coach because we were the worst team in D-1 football.

Proper stretching and what not will not save your leg if someone rolls up on your leg or falls on it.

This guy really said it best in responding:
Holy ****.

Last edited:
Was Winfree our only real threat beyond Shay? It sure seems like that could be the case. I would assume defenses will be all over Shay. Someone has got to step up. :(

Back