What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ballenger's first play

All Star practice players are a cliche. It's the game that counts

That's true to a point, but you have to use practice as your barometer. Otherwise you'd have to get every single player in your program on the field to see if the are a "game" player. My point is, the coaches are going to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. Right now, it looks like that's Cody. That might not be true as we continue through this season. And I do agree with the sentiment that it would be good to get a backup QB some snaps as we go along.

When the two best passes of the game come from a trick play (tailback) and the back-up QB (Ballenger) it's time to make a QB change. Not that Cody can't lead the Buffs to a winning season, but to end up with a bowl game like we had last year isn't saying all that much. Maybe my recent frustration has taken over my early season optumisum?

When the two best passes of the game come from a trick play (tailback) and the back-up QB (Ballenger) it's time to make a QB change. Not that Cody can't lead the Buffs to a winning season, but to end up with a bowl game like we had last year isn't saying all that much. Maybe my recent frustration has taken over my early season optumisum?
You need to learn to spell, but you made a good point. Make the QB switch for the KU game.....

Continue building for the future.

You need to learn to spell, but you made a good point. Make the QB switch for the KU game.....

Continue building for the future.

If, and that's a big if, the staff does decides to make a change, they shouldn't do it for a road game. At least give the kid home field advantage. One less thing to have to deal with.

I'd still prefer to see them put him in for a few plays here and there, or for a series in mid-game. Get him some meaningful reps with the 1's without too much pressure.

It worked for another team in our conference......

There is a fine line between discussing a players skill level and flat out attacking a player. So far not many posts this week have crossed the line. Last weeks did.

But I am watching with my delete stick. :asskicking:

Totally understandable. It got wiped out before I had a chance to get back to it, I must have missed some of the more damning posts. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

I agree they shouldn't just drop the hat and make the switch, but I'd like to see Ballenger start getting a quarter a game. Hell, if what everyone says is true, strip the redshirt off Hansen an let him fly, we've got 2 QBs coming in next year, real game experience would be more valuable than a redshirt.

cody is bad!!!!
Josh smith??????????? lets walk out of the endsone with the ball........ WAKE THE **CK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peterson "BSU" made Dan HAWKINS look good...

:yeahthat:
If we make Ballenger the starter we go back to square one and will probably win maybe 1 or 2 more games. Ballenger looked okay against TU's scrubs but he will get eaten alive when he faces the ones. I just have these horrible visions of our RS Frosh QB who isn't quite ready for full speed leading our true freshmen RB's who are frequently lost in keystone cop fiascoes that move the O closer to our own endzone.

Cody is still the guy for this season but this may be his last as the starter.

*see koy detmer vs nebraska circa 1992*

Conrad Obi is an allstar practice player, but you don't see him starting..

Just saying.

Who gives a **** if someone knows the playbook better, if he can't run the plays!

Really. With two true freshmen running backs, who get direction several times a game on where to line up from the QB everyone is calling to replace. Not to say that B wouldn't know where to put them too, but he is less experienced. We are still 3-2 and drastic changes really aren't needed at this point.

Conrad Obi is an allstar practice player, but you don't see him starting..

Just saying.

maurice lucas' parents come into the club i work at on friday evenings to have dinner and dance a little....anyway, i was talking to his dad, david about the buffs, the game vs ut and the team in general...anyway, i asked him what the word is on obi and he said he will be a good player, but he just isn't ready yet.

The most popular player on the team is the 2nd string QB. While Ballenger's 5 mins of playing time looked pretty good, he was playing against 2nd teamers and when the game's outcome had LONG been decided.

A QB change is the last thing this team needs right now. Cody IS the leader of the team.

Cody, to me, is the prototypical backup quaterback. The guy who knows the playbook and can jump into a game at a moment's notice to manage the offense in a pinch.

All this talk about Ballenger not being ready baffles me. Cody was a RS Freshman last year, but he was ready? :confused: Ballenger has had two years to learn the system. I think he should know the playbook by now.

Cody had four passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. Every single team CU plays from here on out is going to employ the exact same defensive scheme as UT did with similar results UNLESS a change is made.

The OL is banged up, so how best to deal with that? A mobile quarterback with a strong arm really helps. It keeps the defense honest. It gives opposing coaches something to worry about. Cody's physical limitations only serve to exaggerate the issues with the OL.

My $.02.

The most popular player on the team is the 2nd string QB. While Ballenger's 5 mins of playing time looked pretty good, he was playing against 2nd teamers and when the game's outcome had LONG been decided.

A QB change is the last thing this team needs right now. Cody IS the leader of the team.

I submit for your consideration that Texas' second stringers are as good or better than many team's first string. The outcome had been decided but M.B still made some nice plays and threw a nice scoring strike. I have nothing against Cody at all. I have defended him a number of times from the typical insults that get lobbed at him. However, I think he's at a crossroads as a player and he seems to be regressing before our eyes. Ballenger probably won't be a 'saviour' anymore than Bernard Jackson was in 06' but my god man at least it will be a change of pace. The mediocrity of the offense is painful to watch and you think we should stand on the status quo? Hawk gambles a lot as a coach, let him gamble on Ballenger.

The most popular player on the team is the 2nd string QB.

The first words that crossed my lips when Ballenger got the ovation he did entering the game Sat. night. Of course, he came in and earned the cheers.

Sackman said:
Cody had four passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. Every single team CU plays from here on out is going to employ the exact same defensive scheme as UT did with similar results UNLESS a change is made.

Exactly. I think Cody's struggles (he seems to be regressing on a weekly basis, hopefully that is just the quality of defense he's been seeing the last couple weeks) have a lot to do with the fact that teams are getting a very complete book on him and what he can and can't do. Right now they see a quarterback who doesn't have a real strong arm, isn't going to beat you downfield consistently, isn't going to fire to the sidelines more than a couple yards downfield, doesn't have any kind of consistent accuracy, isn't going to beat you with his feet and has real problems getting the ball over rushing linemen if they get any kind of penetration at all. With all that and any kind of defensive talent at all, you can make a QB look pretty bad. Especially if half his offensive line goes down with injuries.

I think those limitations are eventually going to push Cody to the bench. But to this point all reports from practice have been that Ballenger hasn't truly impressed. I don't think you bench a team leader, a true competitor and the guy who has been your best QB in practice just to see if maybe his backup might turn out to be better in games than in practice. But I do think that it is only common sense to get Ballenger some playing time - if Cody does get hurt, wouldn't it be nice to have another QB who has actually played against a starting D-1 defense at some point in his life?

Some rather lively action on this topic. Good points are made and I'll throw in my last Cody v. Matt take, at least until after the KU game.

Cody should remain the starter for a while longer. Ballenger should get more reps in practice and a couple of series per game for the next three games and then the staff should reassess.

Cody knows the playbook inside out, but can't complete anything over 20 yards with anything approaching a regularity that scares the D. He's no threat to run which takes away a significant protion of the benefit to a spread.

Ballenger can run, has the arm to get a deep ball downfield minus the rainbow, and doesn't have 10% of his passes rejected by 6'2" DL's, or at least he has the height where this is less likely. Downside, he is raw, raw, raw. With two L's in the cloumn, you might as well start seeing what you've got under fire now. I think we now know what Cody can do, and so do opposing DC's apparently.

I was in California at a seminar this weekend and didn't see the game, but from what I've read and friends at the game have told me is Ballenger seems to have some ability. Unlike Bledsow and Brian White-who were backups that had no chance of success-it sounds like Ballenger just might. He has a good arm and can run a bit. You aren't giving your banged up offense a chance when your QB is having passes batted down consistently. He can't or won't throw over the middle, can't run effectively and doesn't threaten anyone with the ability to throw down field. That leaves only short passes to the flat for 3 or 4 yards (usually on 3rd and eight) and an occasional intermediate route. That is one dimensional offense and the defenses CU plays are not going to get beat that way. If Ballenger does have some talent, then Hawk needs to stand by his word that the best players will play. We know what Cody can and cannot do. We don't know what MB can do, but I think he deserves a shot. Start Cody vs Kansas. If after a quarter or two things are more of the same, put in Ballenger and go from there. If he plays well, it's his job to lose. If not, some bench time might give Cody some perspective and they're no worse off then they are now.

I was in California at a seminar this weekend and didn't see the game, but from what I've read and friends at the game have told me is Ballenger seems to have some ability. Unlike Bledsow and Brian White-who were backups that had no chance of success-it sounds like Ballenger just might. He has a good arm and can run a bit. You aren't giving your banged up offense a chance when your QB is having passes batted down consistently. He can't or won't throw over the middle, can't run effectively and doesn't threaten anyone with the ability to throw down field. That leaves only short passes to the flat for 3 or 4 yards (usually on 3rd and eight) and an occasional intermediate route. That is one dimensional offense and the defenses CU plays are not going to get beat that way. If Ballenger does have some talent, then Hawk needs to stand by his word that the best players will play. We know what Cody can and cannot do. We don't know what MB can do, but I think he deserves a shot. Start Cody vs Kansas. If after a quarter or two things are more of the same, put in Ballenger and go from there. If he plays well, it's his job to lose. If not, some bench time might give Cody some perspective and they're no worse off then they are now.

Bingo, winner, winner, chicken dinner!! :thumbsup:

When Cody is consistantly making mistakes, I don't know why they at least don't yank him from the game for a series or two just to get him refocused. If the back-up happens to provide a spark and takes a team down the field for a score, then great! Leave him in the game. If not, then he gains a little experience. I've seen coaches do this in other games, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I remember correctly, didn't (choke) Barnett do this with Detmer or Mishhetti ? Maybe both?

When Cody is consistantly making mistakes, I don't know why they at least don't yank him from the game for a series or two just to get him refocused. If the back-up happens to provide a spark and takes a team down the field for a score, then great! Leave him in the game. If not, then he gains a little experience. I've seen coaches do this in other games, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I remember correctly, didn't (choke) Barnett do this with Detmer or Mishhetti ? Maybe both?

Barnett didn't coach Detmer and I don't recall Moshcetti being pulled unless he was hurt.

I think if MB does replace Cody it has to be for scheduled series and those only. Playing the hot hand is playing with fire and can really screw up team chemistry.

Look, Cody struggles to throw the ball from hatchmark to hatchmark with his feet planted. Forget about it if hes moving AT ALL. Ballenger can make those throws all day long. We cannot possibly compete with the best in the Big 12 with a QB who cant cover at least half the field. If we need to sacrifice a game this season to get Ballenger up to speed (or at least see if he can get it done) then SO BE IT.

We are not going to make the strides all Buffs want with Cody at the helm....PERIOD.

Back