What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Barnett in a VERY candid interview on 104.3 Right Now! Bohn to Follow.

Barnett or Hawkins?

• Total voters
Re: Barnett Question

Barnett pretty much lost my support with the 2003 season. I wanted more too, especially when you consider Barnett was making $1.6 million/year.
I thought we couldn't pay that much for a coach! :rolleyes:

(not aimed at you BB)

I never liked GB that much. He was way to loyal to his coaching staff even when it was clear they were incompetent (this played a significant role in his firing). He was horrible at making adjustments at half time. He also frequently under utilized his most talented players (how many times were we screaming for him to put the ball in Vicker's or Bloom's hands?!). And last but not least he had a very big ego.

Thank God those days are behind us... :lol:

Obviously, someone had to take the fall for the BS stuff and it ended up being him.

It wasn't just him. Betsy Hoffman was canned, Richard Bynny was reassigned, and Dick Tharp was fired. Of all the people involved, Tharp handled he situation the worst, IMO. If you remember, the guy crawled under a rock and stayed there until he was fired. Big contrast with the guy we have now. Tharp was worthless. No way should Betsy Hoffman have been out there making comments about what was going on with the football team.

He was slightly above .500% at CU @ 49-39.

He's one of the most skitzophrenic coaches I've ever seen. High highs, low lows. E.g. Win the Big 12, then get smoked by Oregon. He lost his last two games by one million to 1. Wishing Barney back, I'm not.

Re: Supposedly Dodds nixed UT's hire of Barnett

It was Big Time Donor Hicks who nixed...DeLoss was in Barney's corner. The committee met with GB first and ol' Tom didn't like what he heard (GB too much like Mackovick) and the committee moved on to meet with Mackie. Brown, with his country drawl and aw shucks persona, filled the bill because he appeared to be a personification of DKR...

and the rest is history

Barnett or Hawkins?

First of all mods, feel free to merge this poll with the Barnett thread, I just thought it would be interesting to see the results of this if you had to choose between the two.:smile2:

Re: Barnett or Hawkins?

These things are kind of silly to me.

First and foremost, as slim as the possibility is that Dan Hawkins is not coaching the CU Buffs in 2010, the possibility of Gary Barnett EVER coaching at CU again is even LESS.

So what is the point?

Choose between one coach whose time is long over, or another coach whose time should be?

Last edited:

In hindsight GB and all his baggage was a lot better than what we have now. Its not to say I didn't have my doubts about him. Now I have much bigger doubts and those go beyond the HC position.

First and foremost, as slim as the possibility is that Dan Hawkins is not coaching the CU Buffs in 2010, the possibility of Gary Barnett EVER coaching at CU again is even LESS.

So what is the point?

Choose between one coach whose time is long over, or another coach whose time should be?

How about you get a life and have fun with it? It's always negative, I did not intend for this to be a bring Barnett back thing and it's just fun to speculate and talk about. Your life must suck if you are always looking through it with those glasses.

So what is the point?

:yeahthat:

I'm not going to vote because I believe the school can do a lot better than both of them.. Although I would say that Barnett at least put together a few good seasons together (although his best teams were a product of Slick Rick recruits)..

I'm not going to even read this thread since it is so long, but I voted for Barnett - but with some pain.

I heard his comments and he defintely has a case of revisionist history going on. He was by no means lighting the world on fire, but if you were good with constantly going about 7-5 each year and getting blown out on the road at every good OOC foe (yep - witnessed a whole bunch of them in person) then Barnett was your man.

I wanted more at the time, but what I just mentioned above doesn't sound so bad right now.

However, if Hawkins would have been booted like he should have been, the program with the talent we have right now on the team is in better shape today then it was when he started IMHO.

BTW...I thought I had heard the Maclin blew off an in-home visit way back when so I am not sure I believe that he would have been a Buff either way. Just what I had heard at the time.

Last edited:
I would rather lose football games then be the embarrassment of college football due to the appearance that our program is out of control.

I would rather lose football games then be the embarrassment of college football due to the appearance that our program is out of control.

Yeah, because losing is the only other option when the program has been determined to be out of control.

I've been saying it all year... If the current guy isn't getting it done, get him out of there and let someone else give a shot.

Is this stored anywhere (like a podcast) for me to listen to? I'm obviously just a tad outside of the listening area. lol

Back