1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barnett speaks out on settlement...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Cornh8er, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

Barnett's full statement:

“Because I am indebted to my family, players, coaches, parents, fans, and administrators at the University of Colorado, I want to make the following statement: Extremely unfortunate and undeserved fallout has occurred at the University of Colorado. Through unprecedented scrutiny, which includes a grand jury, and an independent council, no criminal charges or NCAA violations were filed and yet the University of Colorado has been forced to settle a lawsuit.

"It is hard to believe that we live in a society where allegations have enough clout to hold a wonderful and well respected university hostage. The settlement of this case for money just means that the athletic department, the football program and to a larger extent the University of Colorado will never have their day in court. Only the premature 'court of public opinion' gets heard.

"We trust that people will see that allegations without proof and statements without substance have brought a media firestorm that carried on for seven years without charges being filed or any students having the opportunity to tell their story in court. All we can do now is proceed forward with our lives knowing the truth and pray that no one else will have to endure such an unfair act of injustice.”

2. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

3. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

Well said, GB.

4. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

He may not always say the right things to the media, but he's always been a stand-up guy, IMO.

Thanks for the kind words, GB. You certainly didn't have to do that.

5. IDBUFF

IDBUFF Active Member

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:
    :yeahthat:

6. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

7. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Nice, thanks Gary :thumbsup:

8. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

9. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Eh. Just read them. Par for the course.

Thanks Barney for speaking out. Hit the nail on the head.

10. Buffarino

Personally, I liked the idot that said they should take all the money from the football team and put it towards other parts of the school. I think his head might explode if you explained to him that football is self-supporting and actually provides funding for the other sports at CU as well.

All that money would go poof if CU dropped football, along with the entire AD. Or, the school would have to start supporting the other sports that football currently funds.

11. BUFFDRUMMER

BUFFDRUMMER New Member

First post.

I finally side with Gary and what he has said here. The story is full of holes and it is truly a sad day when we are forced to pay massive amounts of money to just make this all go away. I as a student am sad to see that the institution I am funding is forced to pay.
    Thanks Gary

12. Scotch

My favorite was that Festus_Talbot person. That person needs a dose of reality in a bad way.

13. Scotch

From one drummer to another: Welcome Allbuffs!!! :thumbsup:

14. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Way to go Coach Barnett.

:nod:

15. Buffarino

Same person, I think.

16. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Festus = Clint Talbott?

17. CU827

CU827 Well-Known Member

Fixed for ya :thumbsup:

18. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hey you little newbie sh*t, welcome to Allbuffs, the best CU fan site there is! Now, if it'll make you feel better, CU's insurance company paid the settlement, not the school. :thumbsup: Now, get back to your rudiments or whatever it is you drummers do for practice. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  19. buffalo30

buffalo30 Active Member

Gary Barnett has every right to speak his mind on this. I'm glad he did. It was all about extortion and a shake down. I somewhat understand why it is being put in the past the way it is.
    I am disturbed by Brown smiling and shaking hands in a photo-op with one of the shake down artists. They could have just signed away behind closed doors and left it at that. Instead we have a university president making himself look rather foolish. That's too bad.

20. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

21. Scotch

Watch it buddy. Or your hoodie will experience a slow and painful death. :devil:

22. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

The only good thing i have to say about GB is he was a good football coach. Thats about it.

23. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

My favorite were all the people that were championing this as a great victory for these two women in general.

Something that has always stuck in my craw is what I percieve to be mishandling of funds that come out of my paycheck in the form of taxes whether I like it or not. What these people fail to realize is that unless they live outside of the state of Colorado, their money is paying through this broken legal system that allows any entity (in this case, the University of Colorado) that cares about its reputation to be held hostage by anyone claiming any wrong (Lisa Simpson et al) in the form of money that is going from their wallets into the bloated coffers of an insurance company in the form of raised premiums.

IMHO, the losers here are the University of Colorado community (losing money, gaining a black eye and in the case of current students, losing money to an insurance company that could be better spent on campus and faculty), taxpayers (see above), the football players (tarnished reputation) and yes, even Lisa Simpson (trading respect in some circles for money). The only winners are the lawyers in this situation, which very nearly literally makes me ill.

The only way that Lisa Simpson could make any sort of silver lining out of this case would be "put her money where her mouth is" (she claims that results are more important to her than the money) to donate a large portion of the settlement to a CU Rape Prevention Center or something similar. However, since I think that if you look at all the facts, the large motivation for Ms. Simpson seems to be money, I doubt that this will happen.

Attending CU throughout the beginnings of the scandal has taught me more effectively than anything else that you should always question what the mainstream media feeds you.

On another note, has anyone else read the book about this incident: "Buffaloed"? Its been a while since I read it, but I seem to remember that it was pretty good and got me pretty riled up. I may read it again now that this is all over.

Skidmark likes this.
  24. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

I know of a certain regent that is glad her hubby finally got his payday. Phuck all of them including GB

25. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Well said. Here is my favorite line : "All we can do now is proceed forward with our lives knowing the truth and pray that no one else will have to endure such an unfair act of injustice.”

that says it all right there.

26. BUFFDRUMMER

BUFFDRUMMER New Member

Word. Rough times guys but the Hawk has landed and GB isn't gonna have anything left to do but keep his BCS show. So lame:rofl:

27. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it, Clint Talbott openly hated CU athletics while writing for the Colorado Daily.

28. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

I wouldn't refer to anything printed in the Colorado Daily as "writing". :puke:

29. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

The comics were ok.:lol:

30. BuffGuy91

BuffGuy91 Well-Known Member

That post was removed. I'm guessing that it assumed that the there were charges and that the events of the night were true to the word of Lisa.