What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Basketball Coaching Carousel

i disagree a bit on the no-brainer angle. he's a Tulsa grad and was with Nolan at Tulsa....so, it's not like his only ties to Nolan are as an asst at Arkie. At Arkansas, he's always Nolan's heir. at MU, he's his own man.

but, hey. looks like i'm wrong. some of the MU people i know aren't that devastated.....MA had an atrocious record against Kansas. gotta beat KU at MU, at least sometimes.

As an Arkansas fan I have to say I'm excited about the hire. I hope Nolan Richardson expectations aren't put on him. However, he reached a Sweet 16 at UAB and an Elite 8 at Mizzou. Arkansas has a much better tradition, history, facilities, etc., than either of those programs. The ceiling is just much higher. 6 Final Fours at Arkansas, a national title... we are a much better program. The last decade at AR for basketball has been miserable... hell I was a student during the awful Stan Heath years. I think Anderson can get us back to an elite level... and oh yeah, I hope the Buffs win the NIT, Burks stays, and CU can get into the tourney next year and make a run. I like Boyle... and I think he should take advantage of the altitude and play a very uptempo style.

Arky overpaid. Big time.

Arky alums have finally decided to stop being pissed at Nolan and now yearn for the Nolan years. The only way to come close to that these days(in terms of approach to the game) is Anderson. Makes sense for him to do it and Arky is tired of not being relevant in hoops. Lots of Hawgs in Tulsa and they're getting desperate.

Just read an interesting update on ESPN's rumors: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/features/rumors

The general thinking over the past week or so has been that the next Wyoming men's basketball coach will be one of two men: Old Dominion's Blaine Taylor or St. John's assistant Mike Dunlap.

But is that a sure thing? Maybe not. While we know Wyoming officials have met face-to-face with both Taylor and Dunlap, a report popped up late last week that the Cowboys recently also contacted the College of Southern Idaho's Steve Gosar. In fact, Wyoming Athletic Director Tom Burman contacted both Gosar and CSI athletic director Joel Bate on Wednesday to express his interest.

Gosar, who played four years at Wyoming and later served as an assistant, led CSI to a 33-4 record this season and went 75-25 in his three seasons at the program. He also has two coveted guards on his current roster -- Pierre Jackson and Darius Smith -- who could potentially make the move with him to Laramie.

Two other names that remain on the radar for the job are Murray State's Billy Kennedy, Florida assistant Larry Shyatt and South Florida assistant Jeremy Cox.

Gosar's probably a good fit for them. Good coach with connections in the JUCOs to turn things around quickly. Plus he'd likely stay a long time.

Not good for Dunlap if he gets passed over again. People are going to start wondering why (if they're not already).

why are we going on the road to play these guys. I look at their schedule and their OOC RPI was most likely over 300. Did we not learn anything about scheduling this year.

They finished at 255 this year, which is most likely where they usually end up.

why are we going on the road to play these guys. I look at their schedule and their OOC RPI was most likely over 300. Did we not learn anything about scheduling this year.

They finished at 255 this year, which is most likely where they usually end up.

This was a down year. Playing a team with an RPI around 200 that makes for good regional interest is a good thing. This is a series that should have never been discontinued. Not playing them because one of our assistants used to coach there after a 73 game history was stupid.

I see what you're saying about the home & home, but this goes beyond an RPI matchup. Our men's basketball program doesn't have a lot of traditions. We need to build up the ones we do have while also marketing the game on the front range. This is important.

Just read an interesting update on ESPN's rumors: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/features/rumors

Gosar's probably a good fit for them. Good coach with connections in the JUCOs to turn things around quickly. Plus he'd likely stay a long time.

Not good for Dunlap if he gets passed over again. People are going to start wondering why (if they're not already).

I don't think that Dunlap is seen that way. More he is seen as a guy who has turned some people down.

Problem for Dunlap is that he may start being seen as a guy who is too picky, a prima dona who wants everything his own way.

That all said I don't know that Dunlap is a Laramie type of guy. I have no question that he can coach and no question that he can recruit. I just wonder if he would be happy with the lifestyle there and if he would be willing to deal with all the political stuff that goes with the job. Wyoming is a pretty low population state but the people are spread out over a huge space and all of them want attention from the university. It is made worse by the fact that the U of W is the only four year school in the state so it is the solitary focus of attention. Win or lose there is no place to hide. I get the impression that Dunlap doesn't really want to deal with all that, he just wants to coach.

This was a down year. Playing a team with an RPI around 200 that makes for good regional interest is a good thing. This is a series that should have never been discontinued. Not playing them because one of our assistants used to coach there after a 73 game history was stupid.

I see what you're saying about the home & home, but this goes beyond an RPI matchup. Our men's basketball program doesn't have a lot of traditions. We need to build up the ones we do have while also marketing the game on the front range. This is important.

unfortunately this is about their average and they will finish with an RPI above 225 8 out of 10 years. I don't mind that we are playing them, I just don't think we should play them on the road. Lets save our road games for a top 50 RPI team.

Speaking of ooc road games .... how 'bout the p12 / bigtex conference "hardwood" series? Anyone know who the Buffs are scheduled to play from the uterus conference?

Speaking of ooc road games .... how 'bout the p12 / bigtex conference "hardwood" series? Anyone know who the Buffs are scheduled to play from the uterus conference?

They need to look at the SEC/Big East tourney to see how to schedule this every year.

Mizzou will be able to find someone, but I don't think it will be a top tier coach from a BCS program. They need to look at some like the VCU coach.

problem for them now, and looks like OU has the same issue since Buzz Williams is staying at Marquette, they are in the "we're openly looking for someone who wasn't our publicly known number one guy, now".

from MU buddy, seems Painter's agent contacted MU when Anderson's name was floated at Arkie....and MU thought they had their guy. doesn't reflect well on Painter, IMO. kinda mercenary.

Missouri should have it all. They're a big school in a state with only one large state school. There's a lot of people and a lot of money and a lot of alumni in Missouri. They should kick everybodys ass - not just CU. Why they have such a long standing tradition of mediocrity, I'll never understand.

Missouri should have it all. They're a big school in a state with only one large state school. There's a lot of people and a lot of money and a lot of alumni in Missouri. They should kick everybodys ass - not just CU. Why they have such a long standing tradition of mediocrity, I'll never understand.

true, they've got Missouri State to compete with now and they were a decent team. but, you are right. they've been "the sleeping giant" of the Big 8/XII ever since i was old enough to follow sports. with KC and STL (more or less) to draw from...talent. they should always make the "doing less with more" lists of the off-season websites (along with ATM in football). career underachievers.

Missouri is greatly divided allegiance wise. You have tons of Illinois, Kansas, K-State, and Arkansas fans all across the state. That's just a few of the schools that have sizable fanbases in Missouri. St. Louis and KC markets also don't really support the Tigers at all.

problem for them now, and looks like OU has the same issue since Buzz Williams is staying at Marquette, they are in the "we're openly looking for someone who wasn't our publicly known number one guy, now".

from MU buddy, seems Painter's agent contacted MU when Anderson's name was floated at Arkie....and MU thought they had their guy. doesn't reflect well on Painter, IMO. kinda mercenary.

Painter was not happy that Purdue had stalled contract extension/raise talks. It must have been pretty bad for a Purdue alum at a school with solid hoops history to consider jumping ship. Not to say Mizzou is a bad job, quite the opposite. But it is hard to look at that move as anything other than lateral.

I think it's easier to win a conference title at Purdue than it is at Mizzou. This move is kind of surprising to me for Painter.

Sports by Brooks reported that Pastner turned down 2.5 million a year to stay at Memphis for 1.7 million a year.

Lon Kruger took the Oklahoma job.

interesting hire. i thought it would be the Wich State coach. if they wanted experience, they got that. kind of a bail-out when Buzz W. stayed at Marquette, but not too bad for a program in free-fall since Blake G. left. not going to initially electrify recruits but he's been successful....Elite 8 with KSU, Final 4 with Florida and some NBA in the mix.

I went ahead and merged our different threads on head coaching changes into a single "Coaching Carousel" thread.

interesting hire. i thought it would be the Wich State coach. if they wanted experience, they got that. kind of a bail-out when Buzz W. stayed at Marquette, but not too bad for a program in free-fall since Blake G. left. not going to initially electrify recruits but he's been successful....Elite 8 with KSU, Final 4 with Florida and some NBA in the mix.

i thought tad boyle was destined for that job :rolling_eyes:

Back