What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Friday news dump continues.

Horrible stuff in there. I didn't think it could get worse.

As far as what happens next there is one interesting tid bit:
Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.
“He couldn’t speak he was so upset, and all of us were,” Mr. Gray said. “Art said, ‘I delegated down, and I know I shouldn’t have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.’ ”

If this is accurate - he delegated much of how the players were handled in these situations - then why is the staff intact? It's outrageous.

If this is accurate - he delegated much of how the players were handled in these situations - then why is the staff intact? It's outrageous.

Translation: They are still looking for somebody to throw under the bus without taking responsibility for their own actions.

Many other outrageous things in there as well- board members and Briles so upset "they wept", they "regret" what happened, yet admit no wrongdoing, did the bare minimum to address the situation, and seem to have no plan to fix this going forward.

Many other outrageous things in there as well- board members and Briles so upset "they wept", they "regret" what happened, yet admit no wrongdoing, did the bare minimum to address the situation, and seem to have no plan to fix this going forward.

Briles - *weeping and looking over to the journalists, ensuring that they saw*
Board Members - *seeing his actions, weeping and ensuring that they also were seen to be upset*

Welp, solid meeting y'all, see you in church on Sunday. By golly, we're sad about what happened, but it looks like we've accomplished what we set out to accomplish. Boy do I feel a lot better after having a nice cry with my Uncle Ken and Uncle Art.

Briles - *weeping and looking over to the journalists, ensuring that they saw*
Board Members - *seeing his actions, weeping and ensuring that they also were seen to be upset*

Welp, solid meeting y'all, see you in church on Sunday. By golly, we're sad about what happened, but after we beat the longhorns tomorrow it looks like we've accomplished what we set out to accomplish. Boy do I feel a lot better after having a nice cry with my Uncle Ken and Uncle Art.

fixed...

and yet... only 1 person was fired and f*** bailer sits at 6-0, and #8 in the polls... No one seems to be too up in arms about this thing, especially in Waco. f***ing sick.

At the beginning of the year I wanted F*** bailer to lose. Now I want them to keep winning as it keeps this story front and center. This will scare recruits (they have two verbals right now and only had 10 come on campus last year) away, and will really kill the program without the NCAA doing their standard foot dragging on administering punishments.

Here's the original article, great title:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/baylor-...exual-assaults-by-football-players-1477681988

The fact that a paper like Wallstreet Journal published an expose on Baylor this far out from the firings is telling. Briles will likely never coach again. 19 players involved in sexual assaults, and gang rapes where the only non-football player involved is the unfortunate victim. Horrifying.
Two things:

1. This was on the front page of the paper edition of the WSJ this morning. Not front page of the "Sports & Entertainment" Section; the front page of the entire newspaper. That makes me happy.

2. If you want to read the article but find yourself stuck outside of the WSJ's paywall, do a google search for:
Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players
and then click on the first link, you'll get to read the whole article (after closing the "subscribe to the WSJ" overlay).

From the WSJ article
The sexual-violence scandal at Baylor University that cost its celebrated football coach his job involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, according to Baylor regents.

Baylor players allegedly participated in what one regent calls a “horrifying and painful” series of assaults over several years. In at least one case, Baylor regents said, Mr. Briles knew about an alleged incident and didn’t alert police, the school’s judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school’s response to sexual violence.

“There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values,” said J. Cary Gray, a lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents.

The board members said their decision to fire Mr. Briles wasn’t merely because of the school’s requirements under Title IX, the federal law that has increased the requirements on universities to police sexual violence on campus.

“As he heard information, what did he do with it? From a moral standpoint, what is the right thing to do?” said Ron Murff, a Dallas businessman who is chairman of the board of regents.

Mr. Gray said, “football is just a fraction, but it is a bad fraction.” Football players were involved in 10.4% of Title IX-reported incidents in the four-year period ending in 2014-15, Baylor said.

The donors need to be shunned and become social pariahs:
Mr. Murff said other wealthy alumni suggested they would withhold millions of dollars if Baylor didn’t bring Mr. Briles back.
“It was all about football,” Mr. Murff said. “My response was that we felt like our fiduciary duty was to uphold the mission of the university. That was the primary objective. It was not just to win football games.”

And **** Briles as well:
Ernest Cannon of Stephenville, Texas, Mr. Briles’s lawyer, said Baylor appeared to be violating a nondisparagement clause that was part of the agreement the coach signed with the school in June in which the sides agreed not to litigate the terms of his departure.

I'm not well informed on this Baylor stuff, so forgive my not knowing this, but have any Baylor students been charged with a crime? I see a lot about civil suits, etc. Just too involved a story to follow for me, about a school I don't care about.

I'm not well informed on this Baylor stuff, so forgive my not knowing this, but have any Baylor students been charged with a crime? I see a lot about civil suits, etc. Just too involved a story to follow for me, about a school I don't care about.
Some have been tried and convicted.

EDIT: I just realized who I was responding too. Obviously false reports.

Some have been tried and convicted.

EDIT: I just realized who I was responding too. Obviously false reports.

I asked because I was a CU fan during the Non-Scandal and an interested observer during Duke Lacrosse and Virginia Rolling Stone.

Which, considering the jurisdiction, and the fact that some of them were football players, should tell you how bad the problem is in reality.

That's what I was thinking. Hard to get an indictment, let alone a conviction, when the police and Title IX coordinators (along with all others in positions of authority) are actively involved in suppressing information, intimidating or breaking down accusers, and giving all benefit of doubt in interviews to the accused.

I asked because I was a CU fan during the Non-Scandal and an interested observer during Duke Lacrosse and Virginia Rolling Stone.
To be clear, innocence and guilt is incidental in reality, in the case of baylor. This is really about the suppression of credible reports, and subsequent bullying of those that reported. Very, very different than the cases you referenced.

Back