1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BCS Committee Approves Playoff System

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Hugegroove, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

The big question is who's going to make up this committee?

3. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Yay. Great. Getting ready for the bias to begin where we have two SEC teams, Texass and a 6-6 Notre Dame team in the "Top 4" seeds every year.

4. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

In my opinion, this is a big loss for the Larry Scott and the Pac12.

1. No auto tie-ins for the Pac12/Big10. Equal access might stop re-alignment dead in its tracks, allowing a diluted college football marketplace to persist. Similar to the situation that led to women's pro tennis being undervalued, as Scott saw it.

2. No guarantee that strength of schedule will be a strong selection criteria. If Larry Scotts goal is consolidation and a Pac/BIG/SEC/Big12 monopoly, then allowing the SEC and Big12 to continue to place 'value' in smaller schools by scheduling to blow them out to pad their MNC resume is destructive to the end goal.

dio likes this.
  5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I am 'pro' playoffs - but I think you've hit the nail on the head with this post

6. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

The SEC needs to schedule 9 games or they need to be penalized for it. If the Pac12 can do it, the SEC should be forced to do it with 14 teams. Unreal. Same goes for the ACC if they aren't already going to do it.

7. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Should have had each conference champion be in the playoff and then fill out the rest of the 16 teams with whoever is ranked highest that isn't a conference champion. And a committee of old farts that don't watch all the games is stupid because they are just going to be looking at $$. This is where the old BCS rankings would have been great to decide who gets in.

Great that they are making some sort of progress but committing to this for 12 years is insane!

8. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

No matter how many times I read this, it still makes me smile ...

:nod:

9. Ralphandler1

Ralphandler1 Member

So my biggest concern with a selection committee is that CU and the rest of the PAC12 often kickoff at 10 pm eastern. Since likely a good majority of the committee members will be from the east coast are they going to see any PAC12 teams play regularly? I could definitely see the day when it comes down to taking a pac12 school or a big12/sec school for the 4 seed and the pac 12 gets surpassed ONLY because selection people are more in tune with stuff on the east coast. Maybe I am wrong but just my concern

10. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

As long as USC and Oregon continue to be strong programs (when they're not on probation anyway :rolling_eyes:) it will be difficult for the committee to ignore the Pac 12 IMO.

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The 4-team playoff is fine if they pick the teams based on the winners of the four major bowl games. That, in effect, turns it into an 8-team playoff where every school has a shot at getting in while retaining the integrity of the regular season.

12. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Really wish they had done that instead of the round of 4 in the bowls. Oh well, maybe in (wait for it) 2027??

13. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I don't think they do that. I believe that they have teams 1-4 seeded and matched up in the bowls already, and the 1-4, and 2-3 bowl winners player in the NC. They don't wait for the bowls to be played to pick the 1-4 seeds. However, 4 of the 5 major conferences have conference championships which act as basically an 8 team playoff.

14. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

This seems like the first step and we'll have an 8 team playoff soon enough. I think 8 is a good number because it's 3 weeks and you'll have all major conferences and maybe a MWC undefeated team.

By the time we all hope CU is back at the national power level in 2016, they'll have the kinks worked out.

Anything is better than the BCS!!

15. buffedup

Disagree. I think 8 starts the regular season dilution process. There aren't going to be 8 teams year in and year out that are truly NC caliber. 4 is enough.

16. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

"Gone are the ridiculous polls, the computer standings and the automatic qualifier status extended to favored conferences."
    And we keep the bowl system...very nice!

17. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Disagree. With only 4 teams, good teams will be left out with a lot to gripe about. Much harder to gripe if you're not in the top 8. And it doesn't dilute the regular season in any way. It will take a long time to get to 8, though, because they signed an agreement through 2025.

buffedup likes this.
  18. buffedup

Fair enough. Except I'm right and you are wrong.:smile2:

19. Hugegroove

Like I said, this new CFB playoff system isn't perfect, but what is? At least it's a start and they can tweek it for the better every year.

20. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Isnt this locked in for the next 12 years?

21. Hugegroove

They said 12 years, but I don't really think anything is locked. If it was, they would have one less excuse to hold their meetings at all the conferences expense.

22. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I think that's a valid concern in certain situations, but the solution is about as simple as you can get: Don't play these games so ****ing late.

Exactly, 4 is the perfect number. If you let 8 teams in then a top 4 team could potentially lose a late-season game to another highly-ranked team and still get in, but with only 4 teams you couldn't afford a slip-up late in the season especially if you're the 3rd or 4th team expected to get in. So the regular season is virtually entirely preserved with a 4-team playoff, whereas with an 8-team playoff the regular season starts losing its value.

23. kalbuff

kalbuff New Member

Exactly, 4 is the perfect number. If you let 8 teams in then a top 4 team could potentially lose a late-season game to another highly-ranked team and still get in, but with only 4 teams you couldn't afford a slip-up late in the season especially if you're the 3rd or 4th team expected to get in. So the regular season is virtually entirely preserved with a 4-team playoff, whereas with an 8-team playoff the regular season starts losing its value.[/QUOTE]

What!!!??? I thought everyone loves "March Madness" for the very fact that a powerhouse, Indiana, North Carolina, can possibly be defeated in the tournament; maybe even early as CU did to Indiana several years ago. Your observation and so many commentators on sports and college football specifically seem to build up information about a dominant team to the effect that the next victory is immutable. Sports really doesn't work that way, at least not all the time.

My perception is that most knowledgeable observers wanted at least an eight team playoff.

24. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Most of us don't watch a lot of basketball on tv until March. I'd hate to lose something that's special and unique to college football. Week 1 matters.

25. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Top 4 teams would sit their starters, conceding a late season loss knowing that they would still get into the Final 8. An 8 team playoff would ruin the regular season.

26. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Do the NFL playoffs suck? Does it ruin the regular season? IMO no to both

27. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

This could be a good thing if they have football minds making the selections... This committee would be hard pressed not to pick the conference champs of the PAC12/BIG10/BIG12/SEC. The only exceptions would come in years where say Boise State was undefeated and kind of like last season if a 6-6 UCLA team found a way to beat Oregon. Otherwise, I can't see a scenario where a 10-2 Notre Dame team should get in over a 12-1 Colorado team who just won the PAC 12 championship game. If they were to allow that sort of thing to happen, then there will be outrage for a better (more expanded) system and I think that is what they are trying to avoid for some reason.

28. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

No way this would happen. Besides, if you go beyond 4 teams you have to incorporate games at home to the top seeds and you wouldnt want to have to go on the road. Also, unless you are #1 or #2, if you lose a game, you are probably going to slip down and out of the top 10 which would then have you in a toilet bowl instead hosting a playoff game.

No way any coach mails it in under this format! If anything, it makes every game that much more important because now, if you lose a game or two you are out of the championship running. If there were 8 or 16 teams in they playoffs you would have many many more teams alive playing much more interesting games throughout the whole season.

29. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think they're really close to getting this figured out. If they can tweak this to have the four winners of the four major bowl games as the participants in the playoff, it would be hard to argue against.

30. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I'm not looking forward to the controvestry from this which will be like this until 2025 when the contract ends.