What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

BCS football: The latest on realignment

RSSBot

News Junkie
Jon Wilner

After a bit of a lull (did you miss it?), the next chapter in expansion chaos is about to being. The decision Tuesday by the Missouri curators to empower MU president Brady Deaton to explore a change in conference affiliation is most likely the first official step in the Tigers joining the SEC — just [...]

Originally posted by College Hotline
Click here to view the article.

ok, ok... don't copy the article but can someboody give me a 'Cliff Notes' version of what Mr. Wilner wrote-

SEC wants Mizzou. SEC gets huge TV contract if that happens. B12 needs teams if Mizzou leaves. Boise, BYU, TCU, SMU, Houston, Louisville, WVU may get B12 invite. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

Good news is that it seems even if Mizzou leaves the Big12 -2-1-1 is staying together and adding a bunch of mediocre candidates.

Can you imagine a Big 12 conference with Boise State, BYU, and West Virginia all in the same conference!?!?? Talk about scheduling nightmares.

Good news is that it seems even if Mizzou leaves the Big12 -2-1-1 is staying together and adding a bunch of mediocre candidates.

However--- if there is a legitimate chance that the super conferences DO come into fruition at some point -- WHO will the Pac-12 get to join??

Getting a feeling they don't have much choice.

OU tied to OSU, UT tied to Tech, KU tied to KjSU. PAC presidents indicated that they aren't excited to expand beyond what they have right now, B1G not interested in expanding unless ND wants to join and then they might only take one more. SEC looks set at 14. Unless you want to create a conference with the remnants of the BigXII and the Big (l)East then they don't have a lot of choice but to try to keep it together.

Five years from now might be completely different but right now they are stuck with each other and we are happy to be away from them.

I agree with Mtn. The P12 is in a funny position. There are no tthat many quality schools out west, so expansion pretty much goes through TX. Bevo wants it allhis way or he'll take his ball and go home, so I don't see the P12 being in a position to get to 16. Who are they gonna take if they can't get UT? BYU (religious school, no sunday play), AFA (military, Cal and Stanford would freak), UNM (marginal school, sub-margianl athletics), Boise (26% graduation rate, yeah that will fit in the P12)? No way do they take any of those schools and they are the best candidates.

Maybe OU can be in play, but T. Boone U comes along for the ride, so that makes it more difficult. KU, could be a fit, but it is hard to come up with four schools out west worth the effort unless UT is in the mix...and that simply isn't going to happen, and maybe that is for the best.

However--- if there is a legitimate chance that the super conferences DO come into fruition at some point -- WHO will the Pac-12 get to join??
Whoever they want. That big 12 conference is a total frankenstein and will remain unstable. And I don't think that 16 team conferences are automatically gonna happen. College football is a funny beast, and the ego's at some schools may prevent it from conglomerating for a while yet, if ever.

ND still has a place for its non-football sports in the Big East, and I believe its contract goes till 2014. That should be interesting.

SEC wants Mizzou. SEC gets huge TV contract if that happens. B12 needs teams if Mizzou leaves. Boise, BYU, TCU, SMU, Houston, Louisville, WVU may get B12 invite. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

if BSU leaves the MWC what does this do to the conference?
what team is really worth a damn ?

So what if everybody else goes to 16? There's nothing that says we have to as well. I don't see the profit in expansion for expansions sake.

Whoever they want. That big 12 conference is a total frankenstein and will remain unstable. And I don't think that 16 team conferences are automatically gonna happen. College football is a funny beast, and the ego's at some schools may prevent it from conglomerating for a while yet, if ever.

ND still has a place for its non-football sports in the Big East, and I believe its contract goes till 2014. That should be interesting.

But who will they want?? Assuming Texas A&M does go to the SEC - they won't ever get the aggies. Assuming Mizzou goes to the SEC too - the Pac 12 certainly won't get them either.

They aren't going to get Texas without the LHN, which means they aren't going to get Oklahoma, either. Kansas isn't going to come without Kansas State. Which leaves -- what, exactly? New Mexico? Boise State? Air Force? CSU? Fresno State? San Diego State? Hawaii? Idaho? They aren't going to expand just for the sake of expanding, and the uppity snobs at the academic elite are never going to agree to bring in schools that don't fit the academic makeup of the rest of the conference.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - but if the Pac can't bring in the Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools - it looks to me like they are pretty much shut out on expansion. Which they might just be fine and dandy with.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - but if the Pac can't bring in the Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools - it looks to me like they are pretty much shut out on expansion. Which they might just be fine and dandy with.

That sounds pretty good to me.

Back